GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98-00 GS400 or 98-00 LS400, which is the king of the hill?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-03, 12:57 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 98-00 GS400 or 98-00 LS400, which is the king of the hill?

I've been looking at both and can't decide.

Seems like the GS400 handles better and accelerates better... but how much better?

Seems like the LS400 rides smoother, quieter, and might have a little tighter build-quality- but how much better?

What are the major and minor differences between them overall?

I know the GS400 has manu-matic shifting, which is a big plus to me.

What about stereos? Does the LS400's Nakamichi sound noticably better because of its more thorough sound-proofing?

I'm just looking for all angles here... thanks!

Old 01-13-03, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well to me they are two quite different entities.

for gs4, it's more about performance. it accelerates a lot faster, and should handling better too. cabin is a bit smaller but still very comfy yet quiet.

on the other hand ls400 is total luxury. it's still fast actually (6.5 0-60 compare to around 6.0 for gs4) but definitely heavier. it's bigger and i should say super quiet. you don't hear the engine at all.

i think build quality are just the same between the two. the ls has more sound proofing so you might think it's more solid. and yes, the eshift on the gs4 is a big plus.

not sure about the naka sound on both though, i don't even have one on my gs4, hehehe

i am 24, and i think gs4 is a better match for me. but if i am turning 30, has a family, and say we go out for trips with my parents, i don't see why i won't want a ls4
Old 01-13-03, 02:42 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
i am 24, and i think gs4 is a better match for me. but if i am turning 30, has a family, and say we go out for trips with my parents, i don't see why i won't want a ls4
Hey Romi,
you know I am way over 30, but I still choose a GS and I do exactly what you describe. The GS is my family outting / long trip / pick up the parents vehicle. I do like the LS a lot too, but I am personally not ready for the luxury vs performance trade off. My age to changeover would be like 50, but then I'd have a 2 door sports car in the garage too, since the kids will be out of the house by then. Looking forward to my second childhood !

As far as the Nak systems, they're good, but not audiophile quality. I would have to submit the edge to the LS because of the quieter interior, allowing a more enjoyable listening experience.

Threxx,
The optional Levinson system, I assume is only available on the 01- up, LS430 ? This is another notch above the Nak systems.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-13-03 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 02:55 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Speaking as not-quite-49 y/o phart, I still vote for GS. However, comparing the two is definitely doing the apple vs orange routine; the LS is not designed or intended to pursue the sport sedan route. It is roomier, quieter and softer. If I had bigger kids or still had parents to deal with or traveled more, I might opt for the LS.

It really comes down (as it always does) to what YOU need/use a vehicle for.

As far as the Nakamichi system, it was almost certainly the best OEM system available at the time. For a number of reasons, Lexus has replaced Nakamichi with the Mark Levinson system beginning in 01 with LS and GS models. I think it's better (having had both) but either could be significantly improved with the use of better speakers (think aftermarket). I just don't do any of that anymore.

Just mho, though.
Old 01-13-03, 03:01 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a 96 LS which is similar to the 98LS except for some more power but I will address your question since I now have a 98 GS.

Your points are well taken and valid and you seem to really know each car's characteristics.

Why did I go from an LS to a GS? It's my personality. I thought that I was ready to settle down that's why I got the LS. Don't get me wrong, the LS is fast. But the spirit is not there, if you know what I'm talking about. It did not connect with me as much as I wanted to. Maybe it is the body shape which leans toward conservative styling.... I don't know.

I moved from Nakamichi (in the LS) to standard Premium audio (in the GS) but the Navigation I have now is well worth the change. I miss the Nak sometimes but the Nav is more entertaining to me. I can listen to good audio at home anyway so I'm OK with that.

My advice to you...do a self-soul searching. What do you really want to drive?
Old 01-13-03, 03:12 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque

As far as the Nakamichi system, it was almost certainly the best OEM system available at the time. For a number of reasons, Lexus has replaced Nakamichi with the Mark Levinson system beginning in 01 with LS and GS models. I think it's better (having had both) but either could be significantly improved with the use of better speakers (think aftermarket). I just don't do any of that anymore.

Just mho, though.
My sentiment exactly. I heard systems in Mercedes and the Lexus systems are much better. Personally I still prefer aftermarket, but in the Factory Stereo wars, Lexus made the right move to go Levinson vs. Mercedes w/Bose. Bose=OverHyped consumer level, Levinson= Audiophile High End. Bose Marketing strikes again, to put one over on the German Execs.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-13-03 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 03:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4

Hey Romi,
you know I am way over 30, but I still choose a GS and I do exactly what you describe. The GS is my family outting / long trip / pick up the parents vehicle. I do like the LS a lot too, but I am personally not ready for the luxury vs performance trade off. My age to changeover would be like 50, but then I'd have a 2 door sports car in the garage too, since the kids will be out of the house by then. Looking forward to my second childhood !

As far as the Nak systems, they're good, but not audiophile quality. I would have to submit the edge to the LS because of the quieter interior, allowing a more enjoyable listening experience.

Threxx,
The optional Levinson system, I assume is only available on the 01- up, LS430 ? This is another notch above the Nak systems.
yeah, you definitely look young man of course, when i said i want to have a LS later on, i would still have some sort of sport coupe in my garage, no way i am giving it up and btw, even if i get ls, i would still lower it and change rims. i mean, it's all for look then...

and yes, lev is only for ls430
Old 01-15-03, 02:26 AM
Gstt
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gs400 my friend,

Best thing that came out of lexus
Old 01-17-03, 09:06 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

In the true term of "king of the hill" the LS4 is the king of the two... In price among the cars in top dollar auto the LS4 was second only to the SC4 in the Lexus car line up in cost...

In making a decision between the 2, depends on your personality.... Either way, you win...
Old 01-05-11, 05:09 PM
Ratman2356
Rookie

Resurrecting this thread from the dead rather than post a new one. (See, I did search ) as I am facing the same decision. GS or LS. Coming out of a noisy rough riding 350z, I thought I was ready to embrace the LS wholeheartedly as I was so sick of my rough riding sports car that I wanted to go as far the other direction as possible. Test drove a few LS's and was blown away by the first, a pristine 99 with 92k miles, price was too high tho. Compared it with an older 95 that had been rode a bit hard and put up wet. Then tried another 99 with 120k on it. Smooth, nice and boring. Less than 20 miles total on the 3 cars and already thinking that this is the nicest car I have ever driven and the very definition of vanilla.

Que the GS. Set up three different test drives and all 3 fell through. They are a bit hard to find right now around here anyway. Keep seeing the LS 400's everywhere and wonder, hmm maybe if there is just a way to spice it up a bit. Not sure where I am going here as it's clear I need to hold out and make my own decision once I get some seat time in a GS but needed to 'share' with someone besides my wife and buddy who are ready to kill me if i mention the word lexus again any time soon. LOL
Old 01-05-11, 06:31 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Stay patient and get a GS. If you come down to Dallas, I know Sewell Lexus usually has a few 2GS's. That's where I got mine.
Old 01-05-11, 08:39 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely get a GS430. More sporty and it looks waaay newer than an LS. To me LS400 look old, and well, they are! Wait and get a GS and thanks for searching
Old 01-05-11, 08:54 PM
kped Gs430
Lexus Test Driver

I would say get an LS because in socal its a common thing to see 10 gs's every time i go anywhere! but seeing how they're rare in OK i would get the gs........
Old 01-05-11, 09:28 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kped Gs430
I would say get an LS because in socal its a common thing to see 10 gs's every time i go anywhere! but seeing how they're rare in OK i would get the gs........
hahaha!!! this is sooo true, but that's nothing to hate, more love

but forreal doh, get a LS400 (98-00), they are sooo smooth and roomy to ride in.
Old 01-06-11, 10:40 PM
vscalais
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 55 years young and love my GS. And its (only) a GS300 as we didn't get the GS4 in Australia (2nd series).

LS too big for me.
Attached Thumbnails 98-00 GS400 or 98-00 LS400, which is the king of the hill?-p1010011.jpg  

Quick Reply: 98-00 GS400 or 98-00 LS400, which is the king of the hill?