GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help with GROM Audio install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 03:06 PM
ocgslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Help with GROM Audio install

Hello!

I own a 2002 GS300, with the factory navigation package.

I recently purchased the GROM Audio unit, to integrate bluetooth with my unit.

This morning I went in and removed the CD changer located in the glovebox, and to my dismay the provided wiring harness does not match the connector.

This particular wiring harness has 3 connectors. One for the GROM, and two for the head unit, apparently.

I studied some threads of people who did similar projects, albeit different car models, such as hypervish's RX300 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tallation.html)
, which is the same vintage and also has factory nav. In his case, the unit connected to the old CD changer, so I naturally assumed mine would be the same.

Before I tear the dash apart again, I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing.

Does this unit connect directly to the head unit on the GS w/ Navi, as opposed to the CD changer?

If I disconnect the harness from the head unit, am I not going to trigger the unit's theft protection?

Thanks in advance, forum members.
Old 07-14-13, 02:34 PM
JFBPhoto
Driver School Candidate

good question, I'm waiting to receive mine ( probably tomorrow). ill look here if an answer show. If not I will try to install it tomorrow and see what you mean. I also have the nav.
Old 07-15-13, 10:34 PM
ocgslexus
Driver School Candidate

I finally got around to removing the head unit. Sure enough, there are 4 big wiring harnesses plugged into the back. The GROM connector is the one on the lower-left.

The hardest part was actually removing this plastic clip that was holding in the head unit. I guess this must be some kind of theft-protection measure, but ultimately it was just really irritating. I'm surprised that I've never seen it mentioned when I've read threads about other users removing their head units. I spent about an hour trying to pry it out, until I resorted to cutting it up with my pliers.

After that, getting the GROM unit installed was easy. It's setup now, with a sweet Panavise mount.

It'll get some serious test driving tomorrow.
Old 07-16-13, 08:38 PM
Fajardo801
Driver School Candidate

Did thid add aux as well? I have used grom adapters in me previous mazda 6 and ms6 with great success. But I couldnt find one for the gs300, that works with factory stereo no navi.
Old 07-18-13, 03:49 PM
JFBPhoto
Driver School Candidate

good that it worked. yea i also removed the head unit to do it. I'm having a little problem sometimes with bluetooth. Sometimes it play even while in fm, and when this happens, I cannot change song with the head unit or steering controls.

And fajardo, yes it can add aux in as well. You just have to choose the right model for that need. mine has both and a usb port to charge
Old 07-19-13, 04:35 AM
Fajardo801
Driver School Candidate

Hmm thank you. In going to have to take out the hu and see the plugs in the back so I font order the wrong one.
Old 03-15-23, 03:02 PM
TannerTT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ocgslexus
Hello!

I own a 2002 GS300, with the factory navigation package.

I recently purchased the GROM Audio unit, to integrate bluetooth with my unit.

This morning I went in and removed the CD changer located in the glovebox, and to my dismay the provided wiring harness does not match the connector.

This particular wiring harness has 3 connectors. One for the GROM, and two for the head unit, apparently.

I studied some threads of people who did similar projects, albeit different car models, such as hypervish's RX300 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...tallation.html)
, which is the same vintage and also has factory nav. In his case, the unit connected to the old CD changer, so I naturally assumed mine would be the same.

Before I tear the dash apart again, I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing.

Does this unit connect directly to the head unit on the GS w/ Navi, as opposed to the CD changer?

If I disconnect the harness from the head unit, am I not going to trigger the unit's theft protection?

Thanks in advance, forum members.
——- Im doing same thing years later did you get it to work?