GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2Gen GS Trans Whining when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 02:29 PM
Dvex1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2Gen GS Trans Whining when shifting

What up CL, This is my first post but I have been CL for a while. I have a 2002 GS300 L-tuned model. I have been getting a whining sound coming from the trans while at high RPM shifts. While in normal driving I have no problems. At times it will also have a delayed shift engagement when going from 2nd to 3rd. Then when if finally engages it hits 3rd pretty hard do to high RPM. Again while normal driving I don't seem to have any problems that I have noticed. I was thinking it was the torque converter but want to make sure of what it is before making the jump. If any direction on this problem it will be a great help.
Old 06-22-13, 03:18 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Change your tranny fluid first. Eliminate the cheapest and easiest option first.
Old 06-23-13, 04:32 AM
Dvex1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Change your tranny fluid first. Eliminate the cheapest and easiest option first.
Thanks, will try this weekend then post the results.
Old 06-23-13, 06:15 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

it's the supercharger kicking in =p
Old 06-24-13, 03:20 AM
Dvex1
Driver School Candidate

yeah, superchager it is not. but i did try and have the fluid changed and the places that I tried said no way with 157000 miles no one will touch it. I will have to attempt a method I found on an old post, multiple drains and fills until it looks clean. I will post with updates as they come.
Old 06-24-13, 05:36 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

^^So simple, don't pay anyone to do this. It's actually easier thank chaning your oil because you don't have to deal with the messy filter swap. You can get between 2-3 qts out of each drain. Most people get only two based on replies on this board, but I change mine with the car on steep incline ramps and I'm able to get 3 qts out of each change.
Old 06-24-13, 05:58 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i heard if you change your tranny fluid it might go bad, supposedly you only allowed to change half of it and exchange the other half with new ones.
Old 06-24-13, 07:18 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by neegroy
i heard if you change your tranny fluid it might go bad, supposedly you only allowed to change half of it and exchange the other half with new ones.
This is an old tale that's has traveled throughout the years. If you have super high mileage tranny and the oil has never been changed before, ONLY do a drain and fill. If you do a "power exchange", it could dislodge grime/shavings over the years and block something vital which will kill the tranny. That why you only do a drain and fill to renew some of the oil. This is the main reason why quick lubes won't touch it because they don't know the history of the tranny and most of those places have the exchange machine. I did 4 drain & fills every 5k when I first bought the car to renew the oil. I will now do drain and fill every 30-40k. I have 20k more to go.
Old 06-24-13, 07:36 AM
repugnante
Instructor

He just needs to do a drain and refill and he'll be fine. It's the flush that he wants to avoid....
Old 06-26-13, 06:48 PM
fatduece
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by repugnante
He just needs to do a drain and refill and he'll be fine. It's the flush that he wants to avoid....
I've changed tranny oil on a manual transmission but this^ is just confusing. You flush out the oil when you undo the plug. So how the heck can you avoid the flush? Lol. Do you guys just refill with the same old oil?
Old 06-26-13, 08:37 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fatduece
I've changed tranny oil on a manual transmission but this^ is just confusing. You flush out the oil when you undo the plug. So how the heck can you avoid the flush? Lol. Do you guys just refill with the same old oil?
Why in the world would you drain the old fluid and put it back in? His post clearly states, drain and refill.
Old 06-27-13, 06:24 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Originally Posted by fatduece
Drain the old fluid out and refill with new. This method is not called a flush. Makes no sense to drain out old and refill with old. A flush is a full cleaning of the transmission of ALL oil (converter included) then refilling it with fresh new fluid (about 11-13 qts maybe more). This method is not recommended on higher mileage cars. I recommend that you do some thorough research on transmissions.
Old 06-27-13, 06:42 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by repugnante
Drain the old fluid out and refill with new. This method is not called a flush. Makes no sense to drain out old and refill with old. A flush is a full cleaning of the transmission of ALL oil (converter included) then refilling it with fresh new fluid (about 11-13 qts maybe more). This method is not recommended on higher mileage cars. I recommend that you do some thorough research on transmissions.
Let me clean this up a bit. It isn't recommended on high mileage cars with no history of fluid changes. If you have history of timely changes, then it will be ok because there isn't a lot of crud that's settled. When I switched over to full syn tranny oil on my old car, I did the full fluid exchange at 175k to get all off the old dino atf out. No issue because I always changed did a drain & fill every 20-30k prior.
Old 06-28-13, 03:33 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

i had top replace my torque convertor in my 400.. sounds like similar issue.. so i had upgraded to the lextreme TC
Old 07-01-13, 03:28 AM
Dvex1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adam2562
i had top replace my torque convertor in my 400.. sounds like similar issue.. so i had upgraded to the lextreme TC
Thanks for all the info. Till now I still have not attempted to do the drain and fill, in fear of crazy trans problems. I am in the middle of an LS brake conversion. Now this drain and fill method I have been doing some more research and it seems that this is the way I will go. Adam2562, you say that this was similar to the issues you had, and when the converter was changed did it solve all of the problems? Also what stall speed did you invest in.

Quick Reply: 2Gen GS Trans Whining when shifting