GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIFFERENT hesitation / bucking / running lean problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 07:25 AM
badazzz06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIFFERENT hesitation / bucking / running lean problem

So after two years of searching and trying things and visiting Lexus service I am becoming frustrated with this hesitation / bucking problem my 2001 gs430 is having without throwing any codes. It occurs sporadically (much more in hot weather) under very light throttle while cruising, at takeoff from a stop, or even at idle. While at one of the better Lexus service centers in my area they couldn’t figure it out after having the car for two weeks. They checked for codes, tried a different MAF, tested the throttle body, said the cats weren’t clogged, and said the o2’s didn’t show any problems, and replaced the plugs. But the car still has a dip in the power curve where it runs lean. When talking to the tech the only other thing he could think of was replacing the ECU but that would be $$$. I don’t want to just throw parts at it that aren’t throwing codes as being bad ie. o2’s or ECU.

Please let me know any ideas you may have of what to test or replace.

Here is a list of what I have tried / replaced:
1- Pedal position sensor
2- MAF meter
3- PCV valve
4- Fuel pump and filter
5- Driver side oil control valve
6- Plugs
7- Checked for vacuum leaks
8- Removed an aftermarket intake and return it to stock
9- Tried running for a year with an oil separator on because some oil passes the PVC valve
10- Cleaned the MAF and throttle body numerous times
11- Cleaned upper and lower intake manifold
12- Sea foamed the system 2 or 3 times
Also replaced a fuel injector and ignition coil on separate occasions but were unrelated to this problem.
Old 06-21-13, 07:32 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that problem, but mine actually threw a 'running lean' code. Went through MAF sensor, and the like even took it to Lexus of Louisville (have a thread on here) where they couldn't even figure out what it was but tried to charge me.

Long story short, it was the fuel pump. Replaced that and all was lovely!
Old 06-21-13, 08:48 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

throttle body sensor gone bad?
Old 06-21-13, 09:20 AM
blueman26
Driver School Candidate

I've been having the exact same problem for the last two summers, going on the third this year, with my 2004 GS430. Problem disappears during the fall, winter, and spring. Will be taking it to Lexus for the 3rd time in as many years next week. I’ve pretty much resigned to the idea that whatever fixes the problem is going to cost a ton, so it would be great if it was just a fuel pump, as in wise2ks situation. My post is “summertime cold-start hiccup/stumble”.
Old 06-21-13, 11:09 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

need some scan data parameters to diagnose this. tell us what you replaced doesn't help.
Old 06-21-13, 11:40 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
need some scan data parameters to diagnose this. tell us what you replaced doesn't help.
Before stating that I replaced the fuel pump I mentioned that mine threw a code relating to the engine running lean, specifically it was P0171. I started a thread on here about the dealer's failure to diagnose, and here it is: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-diagnose.html
I hope that helps some
Old 06-24-13, 07:39 AM
badazzz06
Driver School Candidate

Any more suggestions ??
Old 06-24-13, 01:47 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey bud

Do you have access to a multi-meter? You can check the O2 sensor your self. All pre-cat O2 sensors should be check for correct voltage and response time.
At idle and fully warmed up, the O2 sensor signal wire should be cycling between 0-1V DC, you should see around 8 - 10 cycles per 10 seconds. When you give a quick rev to the engine, the voltage should go rich (near 0.9-1V DC) every time you give a quick rev.
If any of your pre-cat O2 sensors dont go past 0.6 -0.7V at a "rich" event, then it needs replacing.

Also check around the HT leads and coils for traces of tracking. Give them a good clean if you see any residue and check for proper resistances.
Old 07-01-13, 01:37 PM
blueman26
Driver School Candidate

Because it sounds like we might have the same problem figured I'd post the same response in this thread also.

Lexus dealer suggested the first thing to do was clean the TB with a "new" product from a company called MOC. The drive home from the dealership was smooth, but the next morning the problem was back although it wasn't as bad. The two diagnostic techs that worked on the car recommended replacing the throttle position sensor if the cleaning didn't solve the problem. Will be taking the car back after the holiday.
Old 07-02-13, 05:44 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blueman26
Because it sounds like we might have the same problem figured I'd post the same response in this thread also.

Lexus dealer suggested the first thing to do was clean the TB with a "new" product from a company called MOC. The drive home from the dealership was smooth, but the next morning the problem was back although it wasn't as bad. The two diagnostic techs that worked on the car recommended replacing the throttle position sensor if the cleaning didn't solve the problem. Will be taking the car back after the holiday.
Exactly what I said on 6/21.
Old 07-02-13, 08:17 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

TPS, o2 sensors, and also could be the ECU. I think these issues would be most likely caused by o2 sensors. I had the symptoms, and I replaced them, and that fixed it.
Old 07-02-13, 10:33 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by wise2k
I had that problem, but mine actually threw a 'running lean' code. Went through MAF sensor, and the like even took it to Lexus of Louisville (have a thread on here) where they couldn't even figure out what it was but tried to charge me.

Long story short, it was the fuel pump. Replaced that and all was lovely!
Originally Posted by wise2k
Before stating that I replaced the fuel pump I mentioned that mine threw a code relating to the engine running lean, specifically it was P0171. I started a thread on here about the dealer's failure to diagnose, and here it is: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-diagnose.html
I hope that helps some
I'm truly hoping this is my fix as well, as I am experiencing the same symptoms you did. The only code I am receiving is P0172. I have tried a brand new OEM MAF with no luck, and the O2 sensors seem to be performing as they should. Will be checking the fuel pressure here shortly.
Old 07-05-13, 07:06 AM
blueman26
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday I turned the ignition to “on” without starting the engine, let the brake booster run it until it stopped, then floored the accelerator pedal several times, and started the engine. The problem didn’t show itself. Tried the same thing again this morning and got the same result. It’s been a week since I drove the car but will try to go out today and see if it hiccups on the road. I have an appointment on Monday to replace the TPS and do a power steering flush.

Would be curious if anyone else having similar symptoms might have the same result?
Old 07-06-13, 08:09 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

just replaced the fuel pump and filter and hopes this stops the hesitation. Filter was extremely clean, but the pump could have been failing. No codes were ever thrown.
Old 07-08-13, 11:58 AM
badazzz06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blueman26
Yesterday I turned the ignition to “on” without starting the engine, let the brake booster run it until it stopped, then floored the accelerator pedal several times, and started the engine. The problem didn’t show itself. Tried the same thing again this morning and got the same result. It’s been a week since I drove the car but will try to go out today and see if it hiccups on the road. I have an appointment on Monday to replace the TPS and do a power steering flush.

Would be curious if anyone else having similar symptoms might have the same result?

Sounds odd but I’ll give it a try on the way home.
Plus I also remembered recently how much it clears up if the weather is below mid 70's

Quick Reply: DIFFERENT hesitation / bucking / running lean problem