GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1st Oil Change on my GS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 11:57 AM
Loyalone72
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Oil Change on my GS400

My GS has about 130,000 miles. The previous owner used Castrol 7.0 GTX 5w30.

Whats the best oil to use? Should I stay with the same or go synthetic like AMS Oil or someting? I want the best for my baby
Old 06-10-13, 02:53 PM
steventrrr
Driver School Candidate

I usually like to stick with Castrol, but if you're looking for a change, Mobil1, Royal Purple, and Amsoil are definitely good candidates. Use 5w30, and you should change out your oil filter as well (OEM ftw). Oil capacity should be around 5.2-5.5 if you are changing the filter as well. If not i believe 5 quarts should do.
Old 06-10-13, 03:28 PM
Loyalone72
Driver

Thank you! What does the 7 stand for? He said Castrol 7.0 GTX 5w30.
Old 06-10-13, 04:16 PM
FredNoonan
Driver School Candidate

Royal Purple. Seems to work great and longer change intervals as well.
Old 06-10-13, 04:29 PM
steventrrr
Driver School Candidate

My apologies, I forgot to mention i use the castrol edge, their full synthetic motor oil. I honestly never touch the conventional stuff. My next oil change is coming up this week. Gonna go with mobil1 full synthetic extended performance.. see how that goes for me. Also gonna pick up a magnetic oil drain plug =)
Old 06-11-13, 05:43 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Since there is already a huge "what type oil" thread, I won't even bother telling you to search. I work in the Oil & Gas industry...there is no BEST oil out there outside what MARKETING wants you to believe. If you are going with dino oil, go with the cheapest name brand you can find. If you are running synthetic oil, go with the cheapest oil you can find. If you plan on changing oil out every 3-5k, please use dino oil; no need to use synthetic. All conventional/dino oil has synthetic oil in it to make the SN grade. If you plan on doing extented oil intervals, use any synthetic oil. Penn Platinum is a great syn oil than can do 8k easy.

The only thing that will tell the difference is your wallet, so go with what's on sale. No need for super expensive Amsoil oil.
The following users liked this post:
Ddk912 (05-26-21)
Old 06-11-13, 01:13 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I used Mobil 1 Full Syn when i first got my gs. It burned some oil, after switching to Castrol Edge, it doesn't burn oil, even after 3000 miles. The dipstick is the evidence.
Old 06-11-13, 03:48 PM
Loyalone72
Driver

I talked to the fella I bought my car from and he said he had been using Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC 5w30.

Im having a hell of a time finding this oil or anything about it? Anyone familiar with it and if its a synthetic or syn/blend?

Being the case that I cant find this stuff, what would be the best way to go? I ask only because I have heard its good to stick with the same type of oil and I have also heard that full synthetic might not be the way to go with a higher mileage car.

I dont mind paying for synthetic.
Old 06-11-13, 04:10 PM
steventrrr
Driver School Candidate

After a google search, all I could find about this "Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC" is... pretty much nothing. I read on BobIsTheOilGuy ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=709087 ) that it is a german oil? I believe if you want something for a higher mileage car, try some of the "high mileage" or "extended performance" stuff, it is essentially just motor oil w/ additives for higher mileage cars.

Edit: a PDF about GTX7 Dynatec.
In German:
http://www.bp.com/assets/bp_internet...c_5W_40_de.pdf

Translated Via Google:
http://translate.google.com/translat...en-US:official

Last edited by steventrrr; 06-11-13 at 04:14 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 06-11-13, 05:28 PM
Loyalone72
Driver

Wow, thank you. That helps a ton. So with the specs below.. how do I know if this is a full synthetic or a blend?

Castrol GTX 7 DYNATEC

Type:

High-performance low friction oil

HC modern synthesis technology for frequent travelers

SAE Class:

5W-40

Performance classes:

API SL / CF,

ACEA A3 / B3 / B4

Specifications:

VW 502 00 / VW 505 00 (issue 1/97)

MB 229.3, BMW Longlife-98, Porsche-approved

Castrol GTX DYNATEC 7 is a high-tech oil for heavy-duty use on the

Highway and short haul. It offers all passenger car gasoline and diesel engines

excellent wear protection. The viscosity range allows a far-reaching

Application for various manufacturers release profiles.

Specific properties:

• High cleanliness of engine parts, for full power at low

Fuel consumption.

• Increased wear protection for cams and tappets.

• Low thickening of the oil, even after prolonged use and high

Temperature.

• Reduced oil consumption due to low evaporation losses.

• Reduced phosphorus content and thus catalyst gently.

• Fast lubrication of the engine after the start and thus significantly lower

Wear rates than conventional lubricants.

• relief from the disposal of waste by minimizing chlorine levels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2

Areas of application:

7 DYNATEC Castrol GTX SAE 5W-40 is available in all car engines, whether gasoline or diesel engine,

whether with or without charge, can be used.

Miscibility and disposal:

7 DYNATEC Castrol GTX SAE 5W-40 is miscible with all engine oils that the

prescribed by the manufacturers specifications. To get the full

To ensure product performance, Castrol GTX SAE 7 DYNATEC should

5W-40 will only be used unmixed.

Castrol GTX 7 DYNATEC can normally disposed of as waste oil after the oil change

are.

Waste code no. 13 02 02

Physico-chemical characteristics:

Unit

Typical data

Method

Color

light brown

Pour Point

° C

ISO 3016

Flash point

° C

ISO 2592

Density at 15 ° C

kg / m³

DIN 51757 T4

Kin. Viscosity at 40 ° C

mm ² / s

DIN 51562

Kin. Viscosity at 100 ° C

mm ² / s

DIN 51562

CCS at -25 ° C.

mPas

DIN 51377

Total Base Number (TBN)

mg

KOH / g

ISO 3771

Viscosity Index

ISO 2909

The analytical data represent average values

All information is correct to the best of our knowledge the present state of knowledge and our development. Changes

Composition to improve the products are reserved.

25.01.2002/JH/05

DCV: GY-X7D54-
Old 06-12-13, 06:00 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

^^^^dude did you not read my response? Change your oil and stop stressing over this oil you won't be able to find. It's made in Germany...unless you plan on flying there to pick it up or going to Canada to buy some. It's not synthetic, it's very similar to German Castrol (google search) to read about it. If you want synthetic, go buy it at a local retailer.....or just let your new car sit until you find this mystery oil. You can mix different types of oil, engine won't know the difference if its Oem recommended weight
Old 06-12-13, 09:26 AM
Loyalone72
Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
^^^^dude did you not read my response? Change your oil and stop stressing over this oil you won't be able to find. It's made in Germany...unless you plan on flying there to pick it up or going to Canada to buy some. It's not synthetic, it's very similar to German Castrol (google search) to read about it. If you want synthetic, go buy it at a local retailer.....or just let your new car sit until you find this mystery oil. You can mix different types of oil, engine won't know the difference if its Oem recommended weight
Dude, how about if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything? Not sure why you have to waste your time putting a useless response on MY post. I have to say thank you to all the others who contributed with information I kindly asked for.

Post on something else please. I dont have time to read useless, rude comments like yours. I am merely tyring to figure out if the oil previously used in my car is a full synthetic so I can stay with the same type of oil. I dont see anything on Google anywhere stating if its conventional or full synthetic. I am on this formum for a reason, to learn, not be lectured by you.

Thank you
Old 06-12-13, 12:18 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Loyalone72
Dude, how about if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything? Not sure why you have to waste your time putting a useless response on MY post. I have to say thank you to all the others who contributed with information I kindly asked for.

Post on something else please. I dont have time to read useless, rude comments like yours. I am merely tyring to figure out if the oil previously used in my car is a full synthetic so I can stay with the same type of oil. I dont see anything on Google anywhere stating if its conventional or full synthetic. I am on this formum for a reason, to learn, not be lectured by you.

Thank you
Are you serious??? Hold up, you ask "you can't find this stuff, so what's the best way to go", then I provide an answer to this question and now you say it's rude? Did I read this correctly? What did I say that was rude or attacking you? 10-4...if you want to keep stressing over oil that isn't produced, sold, or you can't find in the USA, cool continue to keep the same old oil in your car for years until it locks up.

This isn't being rude, this is straight common sense. BTW, instead of being so sensitive, you would've read where I stated that it's NOT synthetic oil smh. It's almost the same exact formula of "German Castrol", which was useful information that you were looking for. The only difference is that GC is green oil whereas this is typical amber. If you Google search German Castrol, you will find a lot of information on it. The same way StevenTrrr was able to find info on this 5w-40, you could've done a Google search to find the same thing. Some of you new guys are so funny, get upset when an answer isn't exactly what you are looking for. Done posting here. Let us know when you find this oil in the US since for some reason you are afraid to put another brand (syn or non-syn) in your engine...guess you are afraid that it's going to blow up
Old 06-12-13, 12:33 PM
Loyalone72
Driver

Its unfortunate that people like this can ruin a post. It makes Club Lexus
look bad with post responses like this. Isnt the point of a forum
to discuss and Q & A.

I always search Google and am actually very good at it. I dont know much
about oil and I did not see anything stating that it was NOT a synthetic.
Thats all I was wondering and was hoping someone had experience or knew
anything about this oil.

Everyone else here has been really nice and respectful, except this guy
with his sarcastic remarks. I'm just a newbie that was lucky enought to
get a clean GS400. I am not a car guy and am learning. I appreciate all
the others who have treated me right and with respect.
Old 06-12-13, 02:03 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Loyalone72
Its unfortunate that people like this can ruin a post. It makes Club Lexus
look bad with post responses like this. Isnt the point of a forum
to discuss and Q & A.

I always search Google and am actually very good at it. I dont know much
about oil and I did not see anything stating that it was NOT a synthetic.
Thats all I was wondering and was hoping someone had experience or knew
anything about this oil.

Everyone else here has been really nice and respectful, except this guy
with his sarcastic remarks. I'm just a newbie that was lucky enought to
get a clean GS400. I am not a car guy and am learning. I appreciate all
the others who have treated me right and with respect.
Whatever dude, you still haven't pointed out where I attacked you or how I didn't answer your question, or where I was overly rude to you...you just became sensitive for no reason. If you think that I'm bad, you don't want to see what some of the members say to threads like this...

What I stated in my posts above was:
* I told you that I knew about this oil because of my career background,
* I told you that it's similiar to German Castrol (bet you still didn't search this),
* I told you that it wasn't synthetic oil (I actually know what all those "numbers" mean in your translated post) guess you didn't believe me smh.
* I told you that you can switch to any oil and your motor won't know the difference, only your wallet so purchase something that's on sale,
* I told you that it's no "best" oil available,
* I told you it isn't sold in the US, only in some parts of Canada or Germany, so it's no need to worry about something you can't purchase here ANYWAY (maybe this was sarcastic to you, I thought this was common sense )
* I and multiple people provided options that you can purchase here in the US

I only became sarcastic with my last post with the motor blowing up remark..and btw, you are lucky this thread got any posts in it from the beginning because people typically don't post in common threads like this (actually it's still low post count if you take away the back/forth I've been doing with you.

Anyway I won't bother your thread again.

Quick Reply: 1st Oil Change on my GS400