GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Would appreciate advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 06:22 AM
BobGS2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would appreciate advice

My 2003 gs is at100k miles. I am a senior and not a car buff. My mechanic could not change the timing belt because the crankshaft bolt is seized. I think a Toyoto dealer should be able to do it. My questions are:
1. If the crankshaft breaks, does the dealer re-build the engine free? What recourse do I have?
2. What else should be done at the same time to make car reliable for next 50k miles, water pump, fuel pump?
3. Can I count on the car being safe and reliable after service?
4. Would upgrade to 2010 with 30k make more sense for me?
Thank you for your advice,
Bob
Old 06-04-13, 07:00 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BobGS2003
1. If the crankshaft breaks, does the dealer re-build the engine free? What recourse do I have?
These bolts are notoriously very difficult to remove, however they are rarely "seized" - it's just a matter of getting enough torque on the bolt head to loosen it. You need two things - one is a way to keep the crankshaft from turning, the other is a big enough lever arm loosen the bolt. For the first, your mechanic should have something like this , and for the second a big breaker bar or a bar with a long pipe to increase leverage. A competent mechanic should be able to do this. At worst, the bolt head might snap off (I never heard of it), in which case the bolt would need to be drilled out, and the crankshaft repaired with an insert - but I don't see any scenario where the crankshaft would have to be replaced.

2. What else should be done at the same time to make car reliable for next 50k miles, water pump, fuel pump?
Typically the water pump, idler/tensioner, and accessory belts are also replaced.

3. Can I count on the car being safe and reliable after service?
Sure, that's why you do this preventive maintenance.
Old 06-04-13, 07:02 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

You should let toyota do it if you can afford it. You should talk to them about if they damage the crankshaft during dis assembly, however i don't think it's seized. It takes a lot of torque to get the nut off. I do a lot of maintenance on my car but let a shop tackle that job because of the difficulty of getting the nut off. They change the water pump during the timing belt service. No need to worry about the fuel pump. I have 215k on my 99 and it runs fine.
Old 06-04-13, 08:12 AM
BobGS2003
Driver School Candidate

Thank you both. I feel more confident about moving ahead now with Toyota doing the job. Bob
Old 06-04-13, 08:14 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

timing belt and water pump, plus acc belts and you should be good for a long time.......on a side not, your mechanic sucks! Yes that nut is hard to get off, but any seasoned mechanic should have what he needs to get it off. I have seen back yard mechanics get these off with 5 ft long pipes and some friends, surely a mechanic could figure it out.
Old 06-04-13, 08:44 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TTurboPimp
timing belt and water pump, plus acc belts and you should be good for a long time.......on a side not, your mechanic sucks! Yes that nut is hard to get off, but any seasoned mechanic should have what he needs to get it off. I have seen back yard mechanics get these off with 5 ft long pipes and some friends, surely a mechanic could figure it out.
Agreed!!! I wouldn't use that mechanic again. Take it to the Toyota dealer and have more peace of mind for the extra that it costs. It will be worth it.
Old 06-04-13, 08:47 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

that nut was a nightmare to get off. Bought the Schley tool and me and another guy got it a loose with a 1/2" and a 3/4" drive and a long pipe over the 3/4 drive. I was the poor bastard holding the 1/2" drive
Old 06-04-13, 07:59 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for reference to anyone taking their car to Toyota / Lexus for timing job, unless you specifically ask for the water pump to be changed they may not change it out. Since they're already tearing it down just have them replace it even if it "looks" okay to the mechanic. it will save you some money and possible heart ache in the long run.

This was probably covered somewhere on the forums already, just wanted to reiterate..
Old 06-04-13, 08:25 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revive
Just for reference to anyone taking their car to Toyota / Lexus for timing job, unless you specifically ask for the water pump to be changed they may not change it out. Since they're already tearing it down just have them replace it even if it "looks" okay to the mechanic. it will save you some money and possible heart ache in the long run.

This was probably covered somewhere on the forums already, just wanted to reiterate..
He should be asking for the 90k service. The water pump, accessory belt, etc... is automatically included in that I think. I've never heard of anyone getting the 90k at the dealer and have the dealer skip out on the pump.

I had it done for the 2nd time at 180 and my independent shop was trying to explain to me what was changed besides the belt and I was like, I know already. But he's right op, just make sure they are doing all of that before you agree to the service.

Last edited by tiger4life; 06-04-13 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 02:35 AM
Shagnasty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burny
that nut was a nightmare to get off. Bought the Schley tool and me and another guy got it a loose with a 1/2" and a 3/4" drive and a long pipe over the 3/4 drive. I was the poor bastard holding the 1/2" drive
Yes that bolt isn't messing around. Tried 2 heavy duty impact wrenches and that bolt laughed at them. Couldn't wait for the few days shipping for the Schley tool. I was desperate. Put the breaker bar on the bolt, disconnected the igniter, wedged the bar in the body, and bumped the ignition. Sucker loosened first try. Got lucky and didn't damage anything. Went through a half a pack of ciggys debating on to turn the key or not.
Old 06-05-13, 05:34 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagnasty
Yes that bolt isn't messing around. Tried 2 heavy duty impact wrenches and that bolt laughed at them. Couldn't wait for the few days shipping for the Schley tool. I was desperate. Put the breaker bar on the bolt, disconnected the igniter, wedged the bar in the body, and bumped the ignition. Sucker loosened first try. Got lucky and didn't damage anything. Went through a half a pack of ciggys debating on to turn the key or not.
Titanium cojones
Old 06-05-13, 09:29 AM
BobGS2003
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you; one more question

Based on all comments, i will let a dealer change belt and water pump. Thank you.
Would i be better off to let Lexus handle this, or would Toyota be just as good--and less expensive?
Old 06-05-13, 09:36 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

You should be fine letting either do it. Lexus would cost more, but they would have more experiece doing the job on your car.
Old 06-05-13, 10:24 AM
BobGS2003
Driver School Candidate

Ok. I'm off to Toyota with my fingers crossed. Thank you; this has been interesting and you all were very helpful. Bob
Old 06-05-13, 01:34 PM
veron1987
Pole Position

good luck!

Quick Reply: Would appreciate advice