GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd Gen. GS Alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-13, 11:31 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen. GS Alignment issue

Am I the only one with a crappy GS alignment issue or everybody are just quiet and live with it.
I have to drive with both hands on the steering wheel or will get tire quickly after five minutes on the Freeway with one hand. Completely gave up after a couple of grands trying to find the cause.
I talked to some lexus techs and quite a few RX330 owners and they all do admit there is an issue.
I was told, car was designed/engineered the veer to right to avoid headon. But after owning a GS300 for 8 months. I am afraid of buying into another Lemon GS, not to mention about the Lower Ball Join could go out at any time. Kindly share your ownership experience.
Old 04-14-13, 12:03 AM
aprince1
Driver

Your car veers to the right becuase of the crown on the roads. It was designed to let rain water roll off. Has nothing to do with head on collisions. As far as I know.
Have you checked for worn out parts? Alignments are done with the car standing still. With worn out parts once you start driving it messes the alignment specs again.
How many times have you taken the car in for an alignment? Were the readings different everytime?
Old 04-14-13, 12:16 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive with 1 hand all the time. Sometimes I drive with no hands and it goes straight,
Old 04-14-13, 11:47 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had 4 alignments since I got my GS400, two of the four were OK, two needed a return trip to the dealership. I have new LBJs, upper arms, caster arms, poly rack bushings. I notice a slight feathering on my front tires. Basically, I think the front suspension was a botched design. My sense is that they designed it so all the major loads are transmitted to the caster arm bushing (that's why it's so freaking huge). Also, that bushing is designed to flex in what I would call the 'wrong' direction (look at the Figs spherical version and becomes apparent). I notice that when I get above 145Kph the steering seems to firm up and settle just a little. I think this due to the rearwards forces of friction being balanced out by tension in the caster arm bushing. In other words, Lexus copped-out and said, "lets just throw a big-assed rubber donut somewhere in here and call a day."
Old 04-14-13, 07:34 PM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the techs that's doing your alignments are lazy as usual and not double checking the steering wheel. This is a very common mistake with doing alignments. that steering wheel moves very easily while adjusting the tie rod. I do it at my friends shop so I sit in the car to make sure the steering wheel doesn't move. Either that or your suspension is just ****ed up. And the lbj just doesn't go out at any time, it's a wear and tear part that needs to be changed at a certain point.
Old 04-14-13, 08:08 PM
Niaps
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys - same prob - i own gs400 for a 3 years and already did i twise - and lost 2 or 4 good front tire cus of it , the guy who was doing aligment says - it because the car is lowered ! can it be ? ?? but i think it something else . will check with a dealer .
Old 04-14-13, 08:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

i'm lowered on BC coils with no gap on 19" rims and my car track straight effortlessly. Go figure.
Old 04-15-13, 06:02 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus', no car for that matter are designed to pull to the right to avoid oncoming traffic (so I'm assuming with this theory, car manufacturers design them to veer to the right, into the car in the next lane). That myth needs to die. It's some excuse someone gave to not do the necessary things. After replacing all of the necessary suspension wear items on my car, it tracks straight even after I let go of the wheel on an even surface.
Old 04-15-13, 05:47 PM
RoninEng
Driver

I have done over 300 alignments and like previously stated no car is designed to veer. I have worked at a high end dealerships and if someone told that to a customer they would get fired. My car is less than 3 inches of the ground and tucking in the front and drives straight with no hands. It's all about who is doing the alignment. Go to someone who knows their stuff and you will never have a problem again. Also it could simply be a bad tire or uneven pressure. Car **** is not rocket science, take away the fluff and its basic
Old 04-15-13, 06:23 PM
qgoat
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have someone check your inner and outer tie rods. A bad inner tie rod can cause this problem.