GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Beginner Question About Exhaust/Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 11:46 AM
dimebag993
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Question About Exhaust/Muffler

Just having preliminary thoughts about some custom exhaust. My main question is whether changing out the muffler has any effect on gas mileage/consumption? Basically I am just looking for an auditory change, nothing else. Also, what sort of price range would I be looking at to get some new exhaust? I am aware of how incredibly general that question is - I am just looking for a wide ball park. Have any of you made Youtube video's or audio files to show what your new exhaust sounds like?
Old 03-14-13, 12:31 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i grabbed a sawzall and cut my mufflers off. threw them in the trash. car sounds gorgeous. i dont advise doing this though, i live in an area that has no emmisions
Old 03-14-13, 12:58 PM
dimebag993
Driver School Candidate

I'm not looking for something deafening, just something throaty, guttural, deep. What sort of money am I looking at for custom mufflers?
Old 03-14-13, 01:14 PM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

A lot of people like to do a muffler delete like sevenevez, but they get whichever exhaust tips welded on.
Ex:

Or people do faux fireball exhausts using obx mufflers + welded exhaust tips.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-5inches.html

Both are really nice for a budget exhaust in my opinion, goodluck!
Old 03-14-13, 01:59 PM
dimebag993
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. What sort of general price range would I be looking at with the faux fireball method?
Old 03-14-13, 02:54 PM
bDang
Driver School Candidate

Well, you'll have to buy 2 obx universal muflers, 2 exhaust tips, then get an estimate from a muffler shop to weld them all together and to your car.

You can probably get the OBX mufflers for $40 each, the exhaust tips for $20 each, and i was given the estimate of $40 to get it all done from a local muffler shop, but that varies from each shop, just give the shops a call.

you can probably get it all done for ~$120.
Old 03-14-13, 04:20 PM
dimebag993
Driver School Candidate

Really? That seems really cheap. I'm not complaining, I just thought it would be much more expensive. What do the higher end exhausts cost?
Old 03-14-13, 04:37 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

your says you live in CA. If you do this, you may put yourself in danger of having the smog tech fail you for modifying your exhaust system (even if it's only an auditory difference).

Ask that question to the muffler/smog shops and they may say we will only be able to change this or that, and won't straightup remove your muffler.
Old 03-14-13, 08:10 PM
PlatnumGS
Driver School Candidate

I have magnaflow mufflers and deleted resonators I got it done at a highly reputable shop for around 230 I didn't have tips so I just had them weld the tips on instead of putting them on like a sleeve I have videos too but I can't post them up cause I haven't hit the 30 posts in a month yet :/
Old 03-14-13, 10:36 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dimebag993
Just having preliminary thoughts about some custom exhaust. My main question is whether changing out the muffler has any effect on gas mileage/consumption? Basically I am just looking for an auditory change, nothing else. Also, what sort of price range would I be looking at to get some new exhaust? I am aware of how incredibly general that question is - I am just looking for a wide ball park. Have any of you made Youtube video's or audio files to show what your new exhaust sounds like?
The beauty of the search button! Some are outdated but you get the point.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ollection.html
Old 03-16-13, 06:05 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dimebag993
If you want a way to get a nice exhaust note, yet have the ability to return it to stock easily, you can do the Muffler delete without sawing them off ( unless the bolts which connect them to the down pipe are rusted) On my 2002, I was able to get the passenger side bolts off, but the driverside muffler had a rusted bolt which I'm still working on.. But the exhaust note from removing 1 muffler is ample enough for me... Heres a quick how to..

1) spray some PB blaster on the bolts which connect the muffler to the downpipe... let it soak for 10 mins, spray more if you think they are going to be stuborn.

2) use a breaker bar and remove the 2 bolts.... Then just align the bottom hole of the down pipe to the top hole of the muffler.. Put in 1 bolt through them and tighten... Here's the finish look.
and below that, is a sample sound.

Not great quality, but might give you an idea... this is the passenger side muffler deleted:click on this image:

Last edited by B4TM4N; 03-16-13 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 06:31 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I've been driving my car with the below method for about 3 days now... There is some rattling when I come to stop lights and I guess 1 bolt and angling the pipes to match isn't strong enough to hold it intact. a more viable option would just be to remove the muffler's altogether, and then develop a method to only have an exhaust tip for show ( if you wanted one, I wouldn't mind not having tips.
Does anyone sell a "plug" to fill in the cut out portion of the rear bumper incase you remove your mufflers? I haven't kept up with the performance section, but I'd assume the turbo guys go with a single outlet exhaust like most supras... if they do, that leaves one exhaust tip gap open. maybe someone out there has a clip on filler for this.

Originally Posted by speed3000g
If you want a way to get a nice exhaust note, yet have the ability to return it to stock easily, you can do the Muffler delete without sawing them off ( unless the bolts which connect them to the down pipe are rusted) On my 2002, I was able to get the passenger side bolts off, but the driverside muffler had a rusted bolt which I'm still working on.. But the exhaust note from removing 1 muffler is ample enough for me... Heres a quick how to..

1) spray some PB blaster on the bolts which connect the muffler to the downpipe... let it soak for 10 mins, spray more if you think they are going to be stuborn.

2) use a breaker bar and remove the 2 bolts.... Then just align the bottom hole of the down pipe to the top hole of the muffler.. Put in 1 bolt through them and tighten... Here's the finish look.
and below that, is a sample sound.

Not great quality, but might give you an idea... this is the passenger side muffler deleted:click on this image:
Old 03-19-13, 10:55 AM
dimebag993
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the breakdown, I appreciate it. This is something that I am not looking to do myself. I don't really have any experience working on cars directly. Good luck with your mods.