GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Forum members thought on "Did you search" posts

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 05:00 AM
subzero32
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Forum members thought on "Did you search" posts

Lately I have had a lot of forum members respond with "did you search" on many topics I have posted about. Any time I am researching something to upgrade or fix on the car I always search here and Google. If I can not find the info I want for what i'm trying to do I post on here to get a up to date and faster response. It seems this is really frowned upon. People will take the time to ask if you searched and not even offer help. This is really sad and goes against the community feel of this forum. I am a member of BMW and Dodge form and rarely get this problem. Also I'm serving my country in the Air Force and do not have hours a day to search the forums looking for what might apply to my application, its as if starting threads of subjects already addressed are secretly forbidden. What are members thoughts on this? And no I did not search on this one, lol.
Old 03-09-13, 05:51 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked through all the threads you started and only saw one "please search comment" from sakajak (seems to be one of his pet peaves). So I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, just ignore them and move on.
Old 03-09-13, 06:04 AM
subzero32
Driver

Originally Posted by sam12345
I looked through all the threads you started and only saw one "please search comment" from sakajak (seems to be one of his pet peaves). So I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill, just ignore them and move on.
His last comment just really annoyed me. I see the "did you" search on alot of other peoples threads also.
Old 03-09-13, 06:55 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by subzero32
Lately I have had a lot of forum members respond with "did you search" on many topics I have posted about. Any time I am researching something to upgrade or fix on the car I always search here and Google. If I can not find the info I want for what i'm trying to do I post on here to get a up to date and faster response. It seems this is really frowned upon. People will take the time to ask if you searched and not even offer help. This is really sad and goes against the community feel of this forum. I am a member of BMW and Dodge form and rarely get this problem. Also I'm serving my country in the Air Force and do not have hours a day to search the forums looking for what might apply to my application, its as if starting threads of subjects already addressed are secretly forbidden. What are members thoughts on this? And no I did not search on this one, lol.
:sigh: :facepalm: ... I think you are just lazy and feel like starting a new thread to get your answers w/o having to search. Does it take "hours a day" to find what you are looking for? I don't even have to search Google hardly ever since the answers to questions for car can be found here WHEN I SEARCH. There's nothing wrong in searching and bumping an old thread if there's something you may have a question about or do not understand. I've done it before and never been flamed for it. Do some diligence and search for your answers instead of creating new threads on topics that have been discussed before. This forum has been an asset to me whether it be for mods or DIY repair. Starting new threads of topics already discussed are not "secretly" forbidden... I would say its more frowned upon than forbidden and there is no secret about it.

His last comment just really annoyed me. I see the "did you" search on alot of other peoples threads also.
Yeah that is because others like you have created new threads on topics that have been discussed many times before or beaten to death.

This is one of those threads that can quickly go downhill and end up being closed but I felt the need to chime in since you did ask for thoughts from other members.
Old 03-09-13, 07:19 AM
subzero32
Driver

I appreciate the thoughts. So far it seems the attitude Is don't bring up common questions, only new topics. Is it really that bad helping out fellow lexus owners even if its something simple?
Old 03-09-13, 07:34 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I once felt like op when i first joined but after learning the right way to search i realized how easy it was to actually find threads on what i was looking for. So the Search thing is like the first thing u should just do. Older members put a lot of helpful stuff out there over the years so i totally get why they get annoyed.
Old 03-09-13, 07:53 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I think one benefit of searching is this way you can add to a string that already exists that you found out was a better way. This way when one does a search they find the best information in one string rather than piece meal all over the sight. What annoys me is when you add information to an old thread some members complain you revived an old thread (sakajak) and to me that is counterproductive .
Old 03-09-13, 08:06 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly like searching throughly first before starting a new thread because I could find what I need faster, as opposed to sitting around and waiting for responses. I'm too impatient. lol
Old 03-09-13, 08:30 AM
GenOneGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some members forget the purpose of a forum...to help other members out. It's comical how butt hurt some members with 15,000 posts get when someone brings up a topic that has been discussed before. Let's face it, the 2GS chassis was introduced 15 years ago and most things pertaining to them have been discussed in some form or fashion. Aftermarket parts and support will continue to fall off as the cars get older leaving the same things to talk about over and over. Would the "high post count" members rather see no new posts because everyone just searches through old posts and never talks? It's a message board! Not everyone has the time to lurk and post "did you search." all day long. Many people work and live real lives off of ClubLexus as far fetched as that may seem. I suggest helping other members out with their questions instead of getting all butt hurt about searching. Maybe signing off for a while and getting laid would help those from getting all whimsy about people asking questions.
Old 03-09-13, 08:31 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

let me get my flame suit

dont take it to serious and just move on. sometimes the search is not as useful as it should be. imo, by posting, ppl that have alot of knowledge could help out by posting the proper link or answering the question. if dont want to help then dont post. isn't this a community to help out each other or maybe im wrong.

on another car forum. in a thread, in the bottom of the page, there is a few related topic with thread links provided. maybe thats something can be used here.

Last edited by Cartune; 03-09-13 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 08:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

then search and you'll never see that btw are you butthurt?

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
:sigh: :facepalm: ... I think you are just lazy and feel like starting a new thread to get your answers w/o having to search. Does it take "hours a day" to find what you are looking for? I don't even have to search Google hardly ever since the answers to questions for car can be found here WHEN I SEARCH. There's nothing wrong in searching and bumping an old thread if there's something you may have a question about or do not understand. I've done it before and never been flamed for it. Do some diligence and search for your answers instead of creating new threads on topics that have been discussed before. This forum has been an asset to me whether it be for mods or DIY repair. Starting new threads of topics already discussed are not "secretly" forbidden... I would say its more frowned upon than forbidden and there is no secret about it.

Yeah that is because others like you have created new threads on topics that have been discussed many times before or beaten to death.

This is one of those threads that can quickly go downhill and end up being closed but I felt the need to chime in since you did ask for thoughts from other members.
THANK YOU.....

I appreciate the thoughts. So far it seems the attitude Is don't bring up common questions, only new topics. Is it really that bad helping out fellow lexus owners even if its something simple?
thats not the attitude at all....the attitude with you newer/returning members is post and let someone do your work for you. i have done plenty to help other members on the boards and off the boards, plenty ask just about anyone. look at all my DIY's, i do for members

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Search thing is like the first thing u should just do. Older members put a lot of helpful stuff out there over the years so i totally get why they get annoyed.
exactly

I think one benefit of searching is this way you can add to a string that already exists that you found out was a better way. This way when one does a search they find the best information in one string rather than piece meal all over the sight. What annoys me is when you add information to an old thread some members complain you revived an old thread (sakajak) and to me that is counterproductive .
first off you been around long enough and know me sam, im sure you can spell my name correctly and second off i have NEVER bugged on someone for bumping a older thread even if it is a stupid bump because atleast you searched. i have always maintained people should rather bump a older thread than create a new thread

Originally Posted by blacksedan
I honestly like searching throughly first before starting a new thread because I could find what I need faster, as opposed to sitting around and waiting for responses. I'm too impatient. lol
me too, me too
Old 03-09-13, 09:27 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I stand corrected. Sorry Brian.

Here is the string I was referring to

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7688868

Maybe not

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post5455734

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post5866217

Last edited by sam12345; 03-09-13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 09:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

I stand corrected. Sorry Brian.

Here is the string I was referring to

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7688868

Maybe not

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post5455734
i didnt make fun of either of them, i teased one for bumping it to make fun of someone and the other i teased a person i talk to on here. never chastizied them for bumping the thread
Old 03-09-13, 01:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Guys,

This thread is more of a personal callout than a site suggestion so I'll close it with a few comments. BOTH sides here have valid perspectives, but I'll also ask each of you to take action to do things differently in the future.

1) To those complaining about being told to search:
Yes folks could respond more politely and I totally understand those responses sometimes makes new members especially feel unwelcome. It is certainly something we actively discourage when we see a trend.

However, you also need to understand that Club Lexus has been around for more than a dozen years and 95% of the questions you might need answered have already been asked. Sometimes once or twice a week, so it gets really old reading the same thing all the time.

As an example for the OP, on the recent thread you are complaining about there are hundreds of very detailed threads on this topic. Here are a couple I found by putting 'double din' into the keyword of advanced search, selecting search title only and then pointing at the 2GS forums.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-din-kit.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...this-work.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-dash-kit.html

In the future, please try searching first; most often you'll find your answer instantly with no waiting. If you have searched, say so briefly or either reply to one of those threads asking for additional information.

2) To those folks who get annoyed by members who don't search first and post stuff like "Did you search?", "Seen this question a bazillion times, search noob?" or "can u seriously ever search man?"

If you are just going to post these types of comments (or bundle in rude personal statements) , we would rather you did not reply at all.
- it drives away new members who are discouraged from ever participating or stop after their first post
- it promotes a culture of personal attacks and damages our sense of community
- It doesn't help anyone and bumps a thread for others to read with zero value-added content

If you are going to take the time to respond, do the search for them and give them a couple of good links and tell them what keywords you searched for. "teach a man to fish" and all that.

If you see a new member not searching repeatedly, report one of their posts and the moderator team will review and communicate to them privately to offer help.

Likewise (OP) if you see a member making insulting statements (example below), use the report a post button rather than starting a callout thread or response.

Originally Posted by sakataj
btw are you butthurt?

Thanks all for making a few little changes in your approach that can add up to a big difference in the community.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-forum.html