GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

check engine light on....

Old 02-18-13, 01:22 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light on....

I had a friend run a codescanner on it and it pulled up p0441, p0446, and p0440, anyone know what this might be? I don't notice a difference in the way it drives. It's been on for about 3 week now with nothing acting weird.
Old 02-18-13, 01:52 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
I had a friend run a codescanner on it and it pulled up p0441, p0446, and p0440, anyone know what this might be? I don't notice a difference in the way it drives. It's been on for about 3 week now with nothing acting weird.
Pls do a search on this forum. They won't answer you unless you do the search yourself first, and unless you can't find those code. I am sure those codes will pop up. Good luck.
Old 02-18-13, 01:57 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I suggest you search the 2GS forum for previous posts and resolutions to these codes. I suggest you search each code one at a time (more results + info) or all three together (less results). These are relatively common codes which many members have been able to isolate and resolve. Let me know if you need assistance with searching the 2GS Forum. I will be happy to help you out.
Attached Thumbnails check engine light on....-snap-2013-02-18-at-13.54.24.jpg  
Old 02-18-13, 04:33 PM
RoninEng
Driver

Evap leak, I don't like explaining things like this on forums so google search on what it is. Check your gas cap and find a shop with a smoke machine
Old 02-19-13, 09:07 AM
mexikan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel cap, charcoal canister,3 way vacuum switching valve, evap pressure sensor vacuum switching valve, one of these could be bad...
Old 02-20-13, 06:25 AM
sho89mtx
Driver

wow guys, didn't realize I pissed off so many people by asking questions that might have simple answers like it's a common problem of our cars or something is what I was asking. Your right, I should of sat through and searched each code before posting, but thought this might be something that goes wrong that is a part that is common that goes out. I'll do my research on my own next time and never post a question until I spend hours researching threads. I will never try to get a quick answer again. Geesh people!
Old 02-20-13, 11:05 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just had the same set of codes. Took off the engine cover, and found an evap hose that came off the tube. Put the hose back on, problem solved.
Old 02-20-13, 07:52 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
I just had the same set of codes. Took off the engine cover, and found an evap hose that came off the tube. Put the hose back on, problem solved.
Ditto, take the engine cover off and inspect all the rubber hoses. I had a few dried cracked and broken hoses. Bought a few feet of vacuum hose from Pepboys and replaced them all. Cleared the codes and haven't seen them since.
Old 02-20-13, 08:12 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Here is what I saw when I took off the engine cover. Right in the middle is the hose that came off the tube:

Old 02-20-13, 08:41 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

wow guys, didn't realize I pissed off so many people by asking questions that might have simple answers like it's a common problem of our cars or something is what I was asking. Your right, I should of sat through and searched each code before posting, but thought this might be something that goes wrong that is a part that is common that goes out. I'll do my research on my own next time and never post a question until I spend hours researching threads. I will never try to get a quick answer again. Geesh people!
op it's not that you pissed off people. you were told to search because there was no quick answer to your question. there are multiple causes for those codes and there have been threads where the procedure to determine the cause has been discussed. this will prevent multiple threads that cover the same topics. which in turn will make searching so much easier. I hope this cleared things up. this forum has helped me out a lot and I hope it does the same for you.
Old 02-20-13, 08:55 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Originally Posted by JLAWS
Ditto, take the engine cover off and inspect all the rubber hoses. I had a few dried cracked and broken hoses. Bought a few feet of vacuum hose from Pepboys and replaced them all. Cleared the codes and haven't seen them since.
Not sure if this is the OP problem, but the reason that hose pops out is because your motor mounts are shot. Too much engine play causes that hose to pop out.
Old 02-21-13, 01:36 PM
Rezaxxed
Pole Position

OP, I have the same codes on mine but I think I need to replace my Charcoal Canister. Went to a local mechanic and did a "smoke" test which determined the leak.
Old 02-21-13, 06:03 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by clos430
Not sure if this is the OP problem, but the reason that hose pops out is because your motor mounts are shot. Too much engine play causes that hose to pop out.
Hmmm, interesting, gives me some food for thought. I did replace the motor mounts at 90K, but that was 30K miles ago. I doubt they are shot already, but it's worth a look. I'll check it out - thanks for the thought.
Old 02-25-13, 05:36 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

ok, next step will be taking off my engine cover and inspecting the hoses, thanks guys. Probably another dumb question, but what kind of side effects would I have if my motor mounts were failing? COuld this be the reason why my steering wheel vibrates at 70mph, no matter how many times I rotate and balance my tires and have brand new brakes, rotors and pads on?
Old 02-25-13, 05:58 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

ok, next step will be taking off my engine cover and inspecting the hoses, thanks guys. Probably another dumb question, but what kind of side effects would I have if my motor mounts were failing? COuld this be the reason why my steering wheel vibrates at 70mph, no matter how many times I rotate and balance my tires and have brand new brakes, rotors and pads on?
When my motors went, the best way to tell was that the car would shake slightly at idle with the AC off (i.e. low RPMs) . As soon as I replaced the mounts, it was smooth as silk even at 400 RPM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light on....