GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anybody else as excited as i am for the varrstoen es6's to come out!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 09:15 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Stop the Copy and Support the real thing.
Yup. Can't get excited about a knock-off wheel.
Old 02-17-13, 10:15 PM
IStonyG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to originality?
Old 02-17-13, 10:39 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

since these knock-off meister is one peice cast.. why make those bolts?

if i were varrstoen, i'd knock off the s1R instead. At least the s1R does not have bolts. they can save the fake bolts. ;D

Old 02-17-13, 10:50 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Because people want to look ballin with the "3-piece look". That's why they make them that way lol. If it were me, I would do without the bolts. Why add weight to a wheel for no function? No point to have the bolts there unless it serves a true purpose like in a 2 or 3 pc wheel.
Old 02-17-13, 11:59 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

buys ES6, removes bolts = Profit + 10hp, you can't do that with your Miesters LOL

Instant weight reduction!!
Old 02-18-13, 12:52 AM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by solowlex
woah sorry to get everybody in trouble...i was just curious on how many people were planning to get these wheels, thats all!
I really like them, i really like varrstoen. i also love works! I just dont want to spend 3k on a set of wheels and have to worry about them getting stolen when im going downtown to enjoy a night with some friends and come back to my car not having any wheels!
Anyways.....varrstoens do come with center caps, or at least my first set did! If this is a problem i will make sure to ask for center caps when buying my set. Once again....i was just curious to see how many members are planning on running these wheels. And NO varrstoens do NOT crack!!! I have not ever heard of a set cracking!
sorry OP, Varrstoen do crack...I have pictures to prove it...maybe its because of my tire size? 235/35/19 on a 19x9.5...or maybe the pot hole was a little steep as I was going 25 mph. Whatever the factor was, it cracked lol. I'm not saying it to change your mind on varrstoen's though, I'm sure they've improved their quality over time...
Old 02-18-13, 02:33 AM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
since these knock-off meister is one peice cast.. why make those bolts?

if i were varrstoen, i'd knock off the s1R instead. At least the s1R does not have bolts. they can save the fake bolts. ;D

Mmmmmmmmmm....... that is all.
Old 02-18-13, 02:35 AM
solowlex
Pole Position

I would never get the reps and act like they were the real deal haha.
Wow...I didnt realize how many of you guys dislike the reps, your making me not like them as much anymore haha...bare with me though, im a medical student studying to become a radiologist. its a huge amount of money for me to spend on wheels rite now !!! As much as i would love to get the real things...i just cant rite now.
-I will just have to make up for it when im done with med school!
Old 02-18-13, 10:32 AM
403IS300
Driver

More knockoffs from Varrstolen, sick, cant wait for everyone to rock these and make people who buy legit MEISTERS even more rare. Thanks for making my wheels cooler.

Lame.
Old 02-18-13, 01:48 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

^^ well the thing is, does it make the car worse if you put on replicas. We're not playing with rust bucket civics here. Would you have your car all stanced out with good fitment, nice jdm parts, or VIP and JUST throw on a set of replicas. It ruins the whole car, like would you put a set of Varrstoens on a LFA?

but the main thing is wheels is the most important part of the car, its the first thing that people see, + it style of wheel defines your car, either luxury or sporty, and do you want the first thing people to see is O those are fake wheels. It doesn't matter how much you have under the hood or where ever else cuz people won't see it.
Old 02-18-13, 02:22 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by solowlex
And NO varrstoens do NOT crack!!! I have not ever heard of a set cracking!
OHHHHHHHHHHHH really, quick google search....

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-t...d-pothole.html

post # 484

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-t...thread-25.html

one set of these cracked rims are varrstoens

http://zilvia.net/f/wheels-tires/443...18x12-0-a.html
Old 02-18-13, 02:28 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

^^ well the thing is, does it make the car worse if you put on replicas. We're not playing with rust bucket civics here. Would you have your car all stanced out with good fitment, nice jdm parts, or VIP and JUST throw on a set of replicas. It ruins the whole car, like would you put a set of Varrstoens on a LFA?

but the main thing is wheels is the most important part of the car, its the first thing that people see, + it style of wheel defines your car, either luxury or sporty, and do you want the first thing people to see is O those are fake wheels. It doesn't matter how much you have under the hood or where ever else cuz people won't see it.
What you're saying is only true to a certain extent. For example, take this car and this car - both of which were featured in national calendars. I don't think anyone would say that either car was ruined by the fact that it is riding on Rota replicas of Volk and Wedsport wheels, respectively.

I agree with your point that the wheels can make or break the look of the car. And I think that the brand name/cost/rarity/exclusivity of the wheels is only one factor in determining the impression they make. I think it varies based on the individual. The impression that the wheels create is, in my opinion, 90% based on the design and fitment of the wheel and maybe 10% based on the brand/cost of the wheel. (I've seen very ugly expensive wheel setups and very nice knockoff wheel setups.) But to someone else it may be more about the brand and less about the function/aesthetics.

It's really not cut and dry.
Old 02-18-13, 02:31 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
And in post #486 is a cracked set of forged Volk Racing GT-N's.

All wheels crack.
Old 02-18-13, 02:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
And in post #486 is a cracked set of forged Volk Racing GT-N's.

All wheels crack.
true, i have NEVER said quality wheels dont crack but i will say replicas would be more prone to cracking due to inferior casting,weaker/cheaper material, etc
Old 02-18-13, 02:57 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
true, i have NEVER said quality wheels dont crack but i will say replicas would be more prone to cracking due to inferior casting,weaker/cheaper material, etc
Probably right.

I don't track my cars all that much...maybe once or twice a year HPDE's at local tracks and a handful of autocrosses each year. But I hang out with guys who are at the track as often as they can get there. One thing I've noticed is that "wheels" are classified among such consumables as "brake pads" and "tires". They actually tend to go with less expensive brands like Enkei, Kosei and the like. Some of them even run Rotas. It's rare to find someone who seriously tracks their car on Volks or BBS. Reason being that your wheels will break - and it won't necessarily happen less frequently on expensive wheels. So if you're going to replace them regularly, better to use less expensive wheels.

So when it comes to the "legit" vs "knockoff" debate - I try to eschew the durability argument because it's really not about that. On the street it's rare for a wheel to crack. With track/drift/autocross use it is only a matter of time before it happens.

It's more about brand name, exclusivity, rarity, weight, custom specs, etc. That's where the real conversation lies.

Quick Reply: Anybody else as excited as i am for the varrstoen es6's to come out!?!?!