GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Must I Change The Amplifier (2004 GS, Mark Levinson) or be Condemned to Silence

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 03:34 PM
GS430SE2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Must I Change The Amplifier (2004 GS, Mark Levinson) or be Condemned to Silence

The car's a 2004 GS430 (as in my avatar), with the usual Mark Levinson stereo & satnav system.

One morning the battery had gone flat (cause: wholly unrelated to the stereo, and later solved) and I used a portable battery to jump-start the car.

From that time on, there's been no sound from the hifi (irrespective of source - radio, CD, tape). Sound had been working perfectly, right up to the point I switched off the engine the previous night, so it is hard to escape the cause->effect linkage.

The CD apparently plays, as does the tape, and the radio apparently tunes just like before. But, there's no sound at all from the speakers. When I press the Audio button on the head unit, all controls like "Bass", "Treble" and "Front/Rear--Left/Right Balance" appear grayed out on the display and cannot be changed or set. These three pics show what I see:

Note the grayed-out controls in the bottom photo. So, the computer knows that something is wrong.

I've checked and double-checked all the fuses, including those on the passenger/glovebox side footwell, and had a friend who is in to car repairs double-check. All the fuses are fine.

The CD changer is in the back of the glovebox. The satnav DVD unit is in the boot, and the power amplifier is below it. Everything was original/factory-installed, not after-market.

The closest I've found to this problem is this discussion:
http://www.justanswe...navigation.html
where the poster seems to be describing the same fault. The advice he's given is that it is probably a blown amplifier, he didn't come back to the thread so I don't know if it was resolved.

Almost the same thing is found on this forum:
http://www.clublexus...with-radio.html
where the reference is to the "infamous ML amp" striking again..

A Lexus dealer indicated the price for a new amplifier from Lexus is probably half of what my car itself is worth. They said they thought it was a faulty amp (but - stress - couldn't be certain).

I can get an amplifier via ebay for about a quarter of its "new" price, salvage from a scrapped 2001-4 GS300/GS430 fitted with the Mark Levinson stereo. I would make sure that the part number matched up. But what if the problem wasn't the amplifier but instead something in the head unit/console, or even something else entirely? The ebay sale would have been final (i.e., no returns), of course.

Should I take the chance and order a replacement amp?

Some clear advice would be very gratefully accepted - thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-13, 01:48 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to my GS... Have to replace the ML amp and you'll be good to go.
(FYI- Lexus is an amazing and reliable luxury brand...but the Mark Levinson Premium Audio systems aren't so "Premium" in my opinion. I also had to replace the subwoofer...AND the center channel, also!)
Old 02-12-13, 04:06 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
Same thing happened to my GS... Have to replace the ML amp and you'll be good to go.
(FYI- Lexus is an amazing and reliable luxury brand...but the Mark Levinson Premium Audio systems aren't so "Premium" in my opinion. I also had to replace the subwoofer...AND the center channel, also!)
ML is crap. You could find something for 1/3 of the price and sound way better
Old 02-12-13, 04:56 AM
GS430SE2
Driver School Candidate

Default But then it wouldn't work with the control unit...

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
ML is crap. You could find something for 1/3 of the price and sound way better
But then it wouldn't work properly with the control unit, right? The thing isn't wired up, AFAIK, like a simple power amplifier. There's loads more wiring running between it and the control/head unit in the dash...
Old 02-12-13, 05:48 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

right. you can't just swap out to an aftermarket amp. The nav power and certain other functions are connected to the ML amp. See if a member would let you swap amps, and then go from there. I'd be no help since mine is blown as well (and then I went ***** out on an over-the-top aftermarket setup).
Old 02-12-13, 10:37 AM
solowlex
Pole Position

Had this happen to me also!
I just replaced the amp, door speakers, and got subbs! ))
Old 02-12-13, 11:15 AM
GS430SE2
Driver School Candidate

AirRideFan and solowlex - sorry to hear you had the same problem - but was the cause (a jump-start) the same too, for you?

I ask because both of you had to change some speakers also - sounds more and more expensive.

Is it feasible that the jump-start managed to screw up both the amp and speakers too on my Lexus? Basically, I'm praying it is only the ML amp.

excluesive - thanks, quite right.
Old 02-12-13, 02:30 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fwiw - i have a spare working ML amp from my 02 430 non-nav for sale, if you do find that it is the problem.
Old 02-12-13, 02:35 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

likely only the amp. i dont remember why mine blew.
Old 02-12-13, 07:22 PM
GS430SE2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, excluesive.

ninja6o4, you have a personal message.
Old 02-13-13, 08:15 AM
GS430SE2
Driver School Candidate

Disconnecting the neutral for the battery for 5-10 mins did not fix the problem, as suspected.

A further complication. The part number on my ML amp is 86280-0W210 (I physically checked it, where it sits under the Navigation ECU in the boot), while the one that seems to be all over the internet is 86280-0W032 (and which I am probably able to source). From Google Images, the two appear identical, including the sockets.

Lexus Parts Department (local dealer) tell me the two have exactly the same price and description in their system, and that they are quite probably identical (the 0W210 showing as European) - but they can't confirm it.

Any suggestions, please?

Last edited by GS430SE2; 02-13-13 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 02:36 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

could be an updated model. considering your's is an 04, you have one of the later models. Assuming both are from a GS, i'd be willing to take the bet.
Old 02-13-13, 05:40 PM
RoninEng
Driver

Wiring in an aftermarket amp this weekend, will post write up
Old 02-13-13, 07:58 PM
GS430SE2
Driver School Candidate

excluesive, I've found the difference is that the 86280-0W032 is supplied in left-hand drive 2nd generation GS's, and the 86280-0W210 in right-hand drive ones (like mine)

But the amp is located in the same place in the trunk in both cases. And both show identical list prices (new). They might actually be functionally the same. But, how do I find out?

ninja6o4 - will get back to you as soon as the above question is resolved!

RoninEng - Please do!
Old 02-13-13, 08:01 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

The nav voice may come from a different speaker potentially. I thought I read you were in NY. Using mobile so I cant check now

Quick Reply: Must I Change The Amplifier (2004 GS, Mark Levinson) or be Condemned to Silence