GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hilarious comment from someone selling a GS on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 08:00 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hilarious comment from someone selling a GS on eBay

I'm sure a few of you saw the white 2003 GS300 Sport Design with saddle interior on eBay recently. If not, here's the link.

Overall it's a pretty clean car. The miles are high but the price is fair. Since it was here in TX I was considering picking it up to replace my black '03 Sport Design. I like the saddle interior and white is easier to keep clean-looking for a daily driver. My car has a lot less miles, but it seemed like a relatively lateral move for me.

Since I wasn't able to see the car in person and would be buying it sight-unseen, I asked the seller a few questions. He was pretty slow to respond - but not as slow as others. At the end of the back-and-forth when the auction was over the reserve was not met and nobody clicked "buy it now". So I asked him if he found a buyer. Here was his response:

Yes, its already sold. In any case you were not the right buyer, as you were waaaaay to picky which quite frankly is a turn off to any seller. Plus the guy who bought it was ecstatic as it was everything I said it was.
Good luck in your search but these cars are extremely rare as I'm sure you already know.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Here are the questions I'd asked him:

• How are the power door lock actuators?
• Are you willing to share the carfax PRIOR to bidding?
• Do you have the original gunmetal 16" SportDesign wheels?
• Do you have records of the last major maintenance being done?
• Have the front lower ball joints ever been replaced?
• How much tread is left on the tires?
• How long have you had this car?
• How's the Mark Levinson rear subwoofer? Any popping noises or sounding as if it's blown?

Does that seem like an unreasonable amount of questions for someone buying a car without ever having laid hands on it? I don't think so. Those are all common issues with the GS and things I've had to deal with on my '03 SD. I mean...really...that's just basic due-diligence.

On top of that, he refused to send me the CarFax prior to bidding (why even mention it in your eBay ad if you're not going to show it to anyone??) and he told me his car doesn't have Mark Levinson audio when it's clearly visible in one of his photos. This joker doesn't even know his own car.

Whatever. It would have been nice to have a "unicorn" but I'd rather buy one from someone who a) knows their car and b) knows how to properly do a car sale over the internet.

</rant>
Old 01-23-13, 08:22 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

You're not unreasonable at all since I asked the same questions before buying mine.
Old 01-23-13, 08:29 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that would have been a BEAUTIFUL pick up. What an idiot the seller is.
Old 01-23-13, 08:42 AM
frshhhhh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent0024
You're not unreasonable at all since I asked the same questions before buying mine.
i think those are questions everyone asks before buying a car. the sellers an idiot lol
Old 01-23-13, 08:49 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Wow that would have been a BEAUTIFUL pick up. What an idiot the seller is.
He's lucky that a car like that sells itself. He wasn't doing it any favors...
Old 01-23-13, 09:37 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Seller prob had no clue what questions 1, 3, 5, & 8 were lol...

All you wanted to know is what were you buying into...
Old 01-23-13, 09:49 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing you passed. The car looked beat.
The guy relisted the thing on ebay about 5 times already. There is a black on saddle 03 on autotrader w/ 79K on it. The seller wants 14K$ for it.
Old 01-23-13, 10:02 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You are absolutely correct for asking those questions. The dude was a mindless joker. Some people just don't know how to do business properly. Hey, his loss. Good luck trying to find another GS Sport Edition. Those are really nice. I myself would like one of those. That saddle interior gets me every single time. )

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 01-23-13, 10:13 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Most if not all of your questions doesn't seem to be picky to me. Good luck on your search.
Old 01-23-13, 10:30 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Good luck trying to find another GS Sport Edition. Those are really nice. I myself would like one of those. That saddle interior gets me every single time.
I'm not really actively looking for one. The '03SD I have is just fine. I just came across it and thought I'd give it a shot. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Old 01-23-13, 10:43 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Car looks Rough... and the Seats are filthy.. dented fender as well as gritty exterior, the sports design emblem chipped (never seen one in this poor condition) I would PASS..
Old 01-23-13, 10:50 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

My SD emblems are kinda chipped up like that, too. I think it's not uncommon.

I agree, though, it isn't a stellar example. But when you're talking about white over saddle, you can't really be terribly picky. I'm not too worried about paint/body issues. I have a fantastic guy who can take care of that for me. I was really most concerned with the mechanical condition - which, according to the seller, I shouldn't have been.

What a joker.
Old 01-23-13, 02:18 PM
talonflats
Driver School Candidate

Those are all valid questions. It sounds like he was just trying to pass it off on someone that didn't have a clue.
Old 01-24-13, 09:23 AM
SiCcNeSs
Rookie

Originally Posted by talonflats
Those are all valid questions. It sounds like he was just trying to pass it off on someone that didn't have a clue.
^ This. It appears he knows more than meets the eye, if you read his description he knows about upgrading the navi. Dont think any Average Joe would know about this.. Most definitely trying to pass this off to someone. What i find funny is i saw a pic of this car on Craigslist local to me not too long ago.. Damn scam artists.
Old 01-24-13, 09:51 AM
gumbo48
Driver School Candidate

I don't think you were too picky. Any normal person buying a car is going to want to know what they're getting themselves into. His reply to you made him sound like a douche.

Quick Reply: Hilarious comment from someone selling a GS on eBay