GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just bought 98 GS300...internal leak (?), engine/vcs lights, p0304 code? Help pls.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 11:24 PM
gameday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 98 GS300...internal leak (?), engine/vcs lights, p0304 code? Help pls.

Hello CL,

Just bought a 98 GS300 with 152,000 miles. Bought with issues -

History / Potential Solutions

VCS / No vcs / Engine light on - will try new gas cap, as current one doesn't seem tight. Is this the new one or old one and how can I tell? Any other suggestions? How do I properly clear the code, pull the negative or positive battery terminal and for how long please?

Scanned at O'Reilly's Auto and got a code p0430. Research shows either exhaust leak (check by flanges in front and after cats) or O2 sensor in passenger floor somewhere...I guess NKG's are most durable regarding temperature abuse. Suggestions?

Regarding the overheating, took to Lexus due to misfire in #3 cylinder. Reported they pulled coil and plug, found coolant on top of #3 when viewing. Did pressure test, and 'thought' head gasket, possible head, possible block warpage/crack.

Did coolant pressure test today at O'Reilly's. Didn't hold any pressure at all, but I think the pressure tester was faulty, but could be wrong. Too many cars to hear any hissing, but no external leakage anywhere. Thinking it's internal, but no white smoke on start up, car runs fine, needle very slightly above half once up to operating temps (is that normal). Coolant looks normal and oil looks like need change but anyone have picks of 'milkshake.' Will run radiator fill test with big funnel to look for bubbles tomorrow. Any thoughts?

Other items to note - throttle position sensor changed last year. Appears to be slight oil leak on front of engine? Also some drips (it appears) from overflow tube to radiator. Radiator appears very white in bottom front.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and look forward to getting this car up to par! Otherwise, it looks great both inside and out for 15 y.o. car.

Thanks!
    Mike
    Old 01-19-13, 04:29 PM
    gameday
    Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi CL,

Just tested for the head gasket leak using a large funnel to bleed the cooling system. Let the car run about 10-15 minutes. Car never reached the 1/2 mark, and fans never came on?? What gives? Any how, no milk shake in either oil dipstick, or coolant after checking both radiator and overflow. Very mild white smoke after 10 minutes consistently from tail pipes.

Did have very minor bubbles from the funnel..does this for sure mean the headgasket, or can it be something else. I did notice wet spots from the front of the engine, and the bottom try was wet (seemed like water), but it wasn't oil. Suggestions?

If headgasket, what's the ballpark price at non-Lexus dealership I should expect, and recommended brand of head gasket please?

Thanks!
    Mike
    PS - couldn't detect exhaust leak on passenger side anywhere..thinking 02 sensor.
    Didn't replace gas cap yet. Thx.