GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Taking it too far

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 11:18 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking it too far

I don't know if this pic has been show before but I find it ugly IMO. I could see how some might like the camber and fenders but 6 exhaust tips!!! That's too much.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/585/imagelch.jpg

Sorry about the link. I don't know how to post a picture on my iPhone. If anyone can post it up that would be great.
Old 01-10-13, 09:42 AM
thanhvu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 818GS
I don't know if this pic has been show before but I find it ugly IMO. I could see how some might like the camber and fenders but 6 exhaust tips!!! That's too much.

Sorry about the link. I don't know how to post a picture on my iPhone. If anyone can post it up that would be great.
i got you
Old 01-10-13, 09:47 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the fenders. Hate the camber. With fenders like that he should be running 325's in the rear with functional offset.

Hardparkers....
Old 01-10-13, 09:53 AM
CYNE
Driver

lmao thats nasty
Old 01-10-13, 09:53 AM
818GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Love the fenders. Hate the camber. With fenders like that he should be running 325's in the rear with functional offset.

Hardparkers....
It would be nice if he didn't take it too far. Less camber and atmost a quad exhaust and it would be really nice.
Old 01-10-13, 09:55 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

not that bad, easy fix
Old 01-10-13, 10:21 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 818GS

It's not too much. It's just different, or you just arn't used to seeing something built with creativity and a overall style and feel to it.

It's also the reason Japan does it so much better than us, because people are willing try try different/new things, versus the US where every car runs a TTE lip and coilovers and looks the same. <real exciting!!>

Obviously I'm making generalizations. This doesn't always hold true there are a few in the US doing it right.

Disclaimer: Not saying I like or dislike the above pictured car, nor am I saying you should like it.
Old 01-10-13, 10:26 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

I agree with your general sentiment, JZZ30TT. However, in this case, the slammed GS with oni camber and double-triple exhaust couldn't be more of a bandwagon car. There is no creativity there.
Old 01-10-13, 10:27 AM
CYNE
Driver

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
It's not too much. It's just different, or you just arn't used to seeing something built with creativity and a overall style and feel to it.

It's also the reason Japan does it so much better than us, because people are willing try try different/new things, versus the US where every car runs a TTE lip and coilovers and looks the same. <real exciting!!>

Obviously I'm making generalizations. This doesn't always hold true there are a few in the US doing it right.

Disclaimer: Not saying I like or dislike the above pictured car, nor am I saying you should like it.
i see what youre saying but still
6 exhaust pipes? overkill
super ultra heavy camber in the back and a huge camber in the front too? overkill
Old 01-10-13, 10:42 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

I agree with your general sentiment, JZZ30TT. However, in this case, the slammed GS with oni camber and double-triple exhaust couldn't be more of a bandwagon car. There is no creativity there.
Calling that oni camber is stretching it a bit... and I personally have only seen one car in the US with tripple exahust, doesn't seem like much of a band wagon to me? See pic below.

Also, US cars that run negative camber generally do it to fit 19x13's on stock fenders, this was done on purpose and with a overal look the owner pulled off well. Again, not very band wagoney.

Originally Posted by DonDizzurp
i see what youre saying but still
6 exhaust pipes? overkill
super ultra heavy camber in the back and a huge camber in the front too? overkill
You're logic is flawed. I'm assuming you think these LS600 OEM headlights are overkill too?

5 headlights in one light? Overkill. Yea, maybe but it's cool so who cares.

Old 01-10-13, 11:13 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Calling that oni camber is stretching it a bit... and I personally have only seen one car in the US with tripple exahust, doesn't seem like much of a band wagon to me? See pic below.

Also, US cars that run negative camber generally do it to fit 19x13's on stock fenders, this was done on purpose and with a overal look the owner pulled off well. Again, not very band wagoney.

You're logic is flawed. I'm assuming you think these LS600 OEM headlights are overkill too?

5 headlights in one light? Overkill. Yea, maybe but it's cool so who cares.

Agreed with you on all points. I like to see something different and a little bit of risk, whether I like the car or not doesn't matter because at least they're trying to do something different rather than as you said.. Throwing on coilovers and a TTE rep and calling themselves VIP LOL.

Although that the wide fenders isn't my style I can at least give Japan and Thailand kudos because they at least run body kits. Something a lot of US cats don't even think of doing or are willing to do.
Old 01-10-13, 11:21 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Slam. Stretch. Pull. Camber. Bandwagon.

Dual triple exhaust is just trying too hard. It's like a weird VIP version of bosozoku. That said - I wasn't specifically referring to the exhaust when I called it a bandwagon car. More the stance/fitment. And that's damn close to oni camber. When only 30% of your available contact patch is touching the ground that's pretty extreme.

The sad thing is that the black GS isn't even hard tucking. The Q45 works because it's laying frame, hard tucking in the rear and not excessively cambered. Even the way the triple exhaust is done looks like attention was paid to design and quality. That said - there's still nothing uber special about the Q45. It's just another super low, super clean big-body.

I'm not saying either of the cars are ugly or poorly executed. I'm just countering your argument that there's something creative about them. Creativity is doing something new - not doing something well.
Old 01-10-13, 11:32 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Slam. Stretch. Pull. Camber. Bandwagon.

Dual triple exhaust is just trying too hard. It's like a weird VIP version of bosozoku. That said - I wasn't specifically referring to the exhaust when I called it a bandwagon car. More the stance/fitment. And that's damn close to oni camber. When only 30% of your available contact patch is touching the ground that's pretty extreme.

The sad thing is that the black GS isn't even hard tucking. The Q45 works because it's laying frame, hard tucking in the rear and not excessively cambered. Even the way the triple exhaust is done looks like attention was paid to design and quality. That said - there's still nothing uber special about the Q45. It's just another super low, super clean big-body.

I'm not saying either of the cars are ugly or poorly executed. I'm just countering your argument that there's something creative about them. Creativity is doing something new - not doing something well.

You have a lot to learn about VIP, and the that those cars look like they are JUST slammed with a kit and wheels speaks volumes to how well executed they really are.

The reason the Black GS isn't "hard tucking?" is because the fenders have been radiused, it's not easy and takes a lot of time,patience, and skill. (Ask me how I know) The black GS is lower than 99% of cars on this forum but doesn't look like it. Think about why that is.

Anyway, not looking to get into an argument, i just find it ironic that you are calling the people who started the "slam stretch" trend in the US bandwagoneers. Japan has been doing that **** for 20 years, it's nothing new. If you look past what the US is doing so incorrectly (slam/stretch) you'll see there is more to the car than meets the eye.
Old 01-10-13, 11:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys, there is no 'correct' or 'incorrect' with this stuff. It's called opinion and preference and we don't all have the same ones...

Take a deep breath and understand not everyone has to agree with yours. That's OK.
Old 01-10-13, 12:16 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

You have a lot to learn about VIP, and the that those cars look like they are JUST slammed with a kit and wheels speaks volumes to how well executed they really are.

The reason the Black GS isn't "hard tucking?" is because the fenders have been radiused, it's not easy and takes a lot of time,patience, and skill. (Ask me how I know) The black GS is lower than 99% of cars on this forum but doesn't look like it. Think about why that is.

Anyway, not looking to get into an argument, i just find it ironic that you are calling the people who started the "slam stretch" trend in the US bandwagoneers. Japan has been doing that **** for 20 years, it's nothing new. If you look past what the US is doing so incorrectly (slam/stretch) you'll see there is more to the car than meets the eye.
Yes. I do have a lot to learn about VIP. My GS is my daily driver. The car that's received 100% of my modification attention for the last several years is my Roadster. I'm a fan of craftsmanship and design, though. Anything that's executed well will get props from me whether it's my style or not. I'm a designer by trade and I find that a car is the perfect palette for all types of designers to express themselves on.

For what it's worth - my personal style (of the moment) is a blend of form and function. I like a car wearing rare, noteworthy parts or hand-crafted accessories and one-off, personalized touches that can blast around a track flat out with reckless abandon.

Again - I don't disagree with you. The cars in this thread seem to be at the top of their game (mostly) and are very well executed. But I don't see anything fresh, new or creative. This could be because I don't know the subtleties and intricacies of the "VIP" style and what is creative about these cars is really only appreciable to the true connoisseur. If that's the case, maybe in time I'll learn to spot those things. But for now, they seem fairly run-of-the-mill to me. By saying that I'm not trying to take anything away from the time, effort and money spent on them. I'm sure lots of people look at my Roadster and think "There goes another Miata" while all true Roadster enthusiasts around the world drool over some of the finer parts that they know are next to impossible for anyone else to procure or the unique touches that were once only on my car and have since started trends.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys, there is no 'correct' or 'incorrect' with this stuff. It's called opinion and preference and we don't all have the same ones...

Take a deep breath and understand not everyone has to agree with yours. That's OK.
This isn't a pissing contest. It's people talking about their opinions in a mature, passionate way. I think conversations like this should be encouraged. Without them our community will lie stagnant and never evolve into further ways of thinking about our hobby.

Healthy debate brings about progress.

Quick Reply: Taking it too far