GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 11:40 PM
shawnharpe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$

My father in law borrowed our 01 GS300 for 2 hrs while his car was getting an oil change. Of course he goes and rear ends someone.

Body shop is quoting $1400 for driver-side headlight replacement. Yikes. Seen some links on here for ways to get them cheaper (Certifit, etc) but a) I don't know what color I need and b) I'm not 100% certain if I have HID or not (the lights kinda click-on in a unique manner, unlike my acura w/ standard headlights, so I'm pretty sure they are HID - just not 100%).

Any advice re: source of supply, color and HID-ness?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 12-30-12, 11:54 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

I have a driver side hid headlight assembly. Came off my 98 9s400. Pm me if you're interested.
Old 12-31-12, 02:27 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...me-grille.html
Easy.
Old 12-31-12, 05:56 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geeznuts
Those are only the housings.

OP, you should be able to tell if you have HIDs just by the color of the headlights and if they auto level when you turn them on.

You can also check to see if the headlight autoleveling indicator comes on when you start up your car. Cars with standard headlights do not have autoleveling.

Cars with HIDs take Philips bulbs, and you should replace them on both sides or they will not match since their color changes with age. I bought mine at Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

If you need a complete headlight assembly, check out Sewell, they have it for $1092.34 with the Club Lexus discount:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S300-2001.html

You also need to be aware of what color headlight housings you have if you are buying used ones or not directly from a Lexus dealer. They were slightly different colors over the years. I'm pretty sure yours should have a green tint to them.
Old 12-31-12, 08:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 77i9
I have a driver side hid headlight assembly. Came off my 98 9s400. Pm me if you're interested.
Gill he has a 2001+, they have the green housings

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Those are only the housings.

OP, you should be able to tell if you have HIDs just by the color of the headlights and if they auto level when you turn them on.

You can also check to see if the headlight autoleveling indicator comes on when you start up your car. Cars with standard headlights do not have autoleveling.

Cars with HIDs take Philips bulbs, and you should replace them on both sides or they will not match since their color changes with age. I bought mine at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

If you need a complete headlight assembly, check out Sewell, they have it for $1092.34 with the Club Lexus discount:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S300-2001.html

You also need to be aware of what color headlight housings you have if you are buying used ones or not directly from a Lexus dealer. They were slightly different colors over the years. I'm pretty sure yours should have a green tint to them.
all he needs is the housing if he has NON-HID, he can swap his harness/bulbs over or HID swap over ballast/bulbs/levelers

Color of the housing DOESNT tell you if its HID as all 2001+ have green housings regardless if they are HID

use this link (sewells site must have a glitch cause under service they way cheaper)

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2001/4337.html

with the Sewell (Club Lexus Discount) the HID models are $554.65 = tax/shipping and the NON HID models are $497.64 + tax/shipping

HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ? if your father in law wrecked it why are you doing the leg work, its his responsibility to get it fixed.....i mean regardless if u like him or not let him do the leg work

also, post some pics....i would bet u need a fender or a bumper also
Old 12-31-12, 10:03 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
Gill he has a 2001+, they have the green housings

all he needs is the housing if he has NON-HID, he can swap his harness/bulbs over or HID swap over ballast/bulbs/levelers

Color of the housing DOESNT tell you if its HID as all 2001+ have green housings regardless if they are HID
I am aware of this, I should have been more clear that he should be able to tell by the color of the light being output from the bulb (not the color of the housings). Based on him saying they have an unusual way of turning on, I am assuming that he has HIDs.

If his headlight assembly is completely smashed/gone, he is going to need more than just a housing if he has HIDs....
Old 12-31-12, 11:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
If his headlight assembly is completely smashed/gone, he is going to need more than just a housing if he has HIDs....
maybe, depends on badly its smashed.....thats why i asked for pics
Old 12-31-12, 06:46 PM
shawnharpe
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the post-then-MIA guys. I hadn't received any email notifications of replies, so I assumed there were none.

I'll need to check for the auto-leveling. Not sure if I've noticed that (it's my wife's car - I rarely drive it). Re: my Father-in-law, he's kinda incompetent - one of those brillant/useless types. We'd be without the car for weeks if it were up to him to hnadle, and he'd be fleeced by any repair/body shop (and has been in the past). I can't let him do that again.

I'll check on the car in the AM and post back, hopefully with pics. Off to ring in 2013.
Old 12-31-12, 08:20 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are interested in used parts and have someone who could put it in try here: http://www.automotix.net/usedautopar...1e0b&seq_num=9

$936 for used.
Old 01-01-13, 04:31 AM
geeznuts
Lexus Test Driver

You guys over think this subject lol Tony is selling a PAIR (2) of HID headlight housings for $500.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...me-grille.html
I'm sure this is all you need. Just transfer your ballasts and bulbs over. If your bulb got damaged go buy a new bulb. I'm sure tony can hook you up with that too. Like I said..... Easy
Old 01-01-13, 05:16 PM
shawnharpe
Driver School Candidate

Here's some photos that should shed some light (heh, heh) on the subject. The lights do seem to auto-level when turned on, so now I'm 99% sure they're HID. Lights are both still functional.

Waiting before I hear back from the body shop before I inquire with Tony...
Attached Thumbnails Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$-imag0327.jpg   Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$-imag0328.jpg   Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$-imag0331.jpg   Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$-imag0332.jpg   Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$-imag0333.jpg  

Old 01-01-13, 11:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

based on pics, WHY do u need a new headlight? i dont see any damage to them?

all i notice is u need a new hood....less when it pushed back it damaged something else. what did he rear-end?
Old 01-01-13, 11:54 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
based on pics, WHY do u need a new headlight? i dont see any damage to them?

all i notice is u need a new hood....less when it pushed back it damaged something else. what did he rear-end?
I see a nice big crack on the driver side high beam lens.
Old 01-02-13, 12:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I see a nice big crack on the driver side high beam lens.
ahhhhh now i c it....
Old 01-02-13, 05:42 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

http://www.certifit.com $170 for each new headlight.

Quick Reply: Front end crash - new headlights needed and body shop is quoting $$$$