GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Apexi Neo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 08:20 PM
AM21GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apexi Neo Install

Okay, so I got this thing in the mail a couple weeks ago along with a boomslang harness, and I've slowly been dremel-ing away at my ashtray to get the neo to fit.

But I finally finished, heres what it looks like while its out of the car, I think this will be a pretty clean set up once I get it in the car, and running smoothly.

I will post more pics of it, once I have it installed and running in the car, I am waiting on getting a wideband, so I can tune it.
Attached Thumbnails Apexi Neo Install-front-.jpg   Apexi Neo Install-side-1.jpg   Apexi Neo Install-side-2.jpg   Apexi Neo Install-closed.jpg  

Last edited by AM21GS400; 12-19-12 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 03:33 AM
iGotSwag
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will look really nice, but id clean up the edges a little more.
Old 12-20-12, 09:09 AM
pmlexus
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great I cant wait to see it up and running and tuned. Are you tunning it your self if so are you street tunning or dyno tunning it?
Old 12-20-12, 09:17 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The ashtray in our cars is a perfect location for airbag or engine controllers, easy to see and reach while driving, and obviously cool cause it's also hidden.

My hks evc is done similar to yours. You just need a little body filler around the edges and shoot some flat black paint in there to make that fitment look tons better.. If you've never messed with filler or glass before this is great small project to practice with.

But now on to the wiring and the tune! GL

Old 12-20-12, 09:57 AM
AM21GS400
Driver

Originally Posted by iGotSwag
Will look really nice, but id clean up the edges a little more.
Originally Posted by 99 GS3
You just need a little body filler around the edges and shoot some flat black paint in there to make that fitment look tons better.. If you've never messed with filler or glass before this is great small project to practice with.
Yeah, I'm going to probably put some JB weld on there and make the edges straight, then sand it with some fine grit sand paper, It will look pretty nice when it's all done.

The ashtray in our cars is a perfect location for airbag or engine controllers, easy to see and reach while driving, and obviously cool cause it's also hidden.
Does yours still open up on its own? Mine still does, but it goes very slow due to the added weight of the unit inside. Any way you can make it open up nicer? Also did you relocate your cigarette lighter? I'm trying to find to best place to put that.

Last edited by AM21GS400; 12-20-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-20-12, 10:00 AM
AM21GS400
Driver

Originally Posted by pmlexus
Looks great I cant wait to see it up and running and tuned. Are you tunning it your self if so are you street tunning or dyno tunning it?
Yeah I am going to tune it myself, I need to buy and install a wideband so I can monitor the Air:Fuel ratio. But then I will be street tuning it , I don't have the money right now for a dyno tune.
Old 12-20-12, 10:56 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

My hks evc is done similar to yours. You just need a little body filler around the edges and shoot some flat black paint in there to make that fitment look tons better.. If you've never messed with filler or glass before this is great small project to practice with.

But now on to the wiring and the tune! GL

nice set up mike.. what model pioneer is that double din
Old 12-20-12, 11:27 AM
pmlexus
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AM21GS400
Yeah I am going to tune it myself, I need to buy and install a wideband so I can monitor the Air:Fuel ratio. But then I will be street tuning it , I don't have the money right now for a dyno tune.
Ahh the good ol days of street tunning I used to do that back in the day with all my v-afc's lol, That brings back memories lol. Let me know how the neo is to tune I havent used any of Apexi's new controlers.
Old 12-20-12, 01:20 PM
AM21GS400
Driver

Originally Posted by pmlexus
Let me know how the neo is to tune I havent used any of Apexi's new controlers.
I will for sure! Once I get that wideband, i'll post up how it went.
Old 12-23-12, 11:45 AM
AM21GS400
Driver

Installed it a couple days ago, looks great, and runs perfectly(throttle percentage is correct, revs match, etc.) Getting the wires to go through the firewall was such a *****! Took me and a friend about an hour to get them through. But anyways here are some pictures of it installed in the car.

My AEM wideband shipped yesterday and I should get that the day after Christmas, once that is in, I can tune!
Attached Thumbnails Apexi Neo Install-installed-off.jpg   Apexi Neo Install-installed-on-.jpg   Apexi Neo Install-installed-close.jpg  
Old 12-23-12, 09:57 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

interested in seeing what gains you get. I've been reading that the oem ecu will revert back any gains you make though =/
Old 12-24-12, 04:25 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Installed it a couple days ago, looks great, and runs perfectly(throttle percentage is correct, revs match, etc.) Getting the wires to go through the firewall was such a *****! Took me and a friend about an hour to get them through. But anyways here are some pictures of it installed in the car.

My AEM wideband shipped yesterday and I should get that the day after Christmas, once that is in, I can tune!
Looks good. I got some small thin pieces of black plexiglass when I did mibe a while back. It kind of helps frame out the unit and takes care of any gaps. Just be sure to recess nicely so it can still open/close good.

You should see 15 - 20 whp gains and shouldn't really revert back too much to stock ecu trims. GL!
Old 12-24-12, 06:04 AM
AM21GS400
Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Looks good. I got some small thin pieces of black plexiglass when I did mibe a while back. It kind of helps frame out the unit and takes care of any gaps. Just be sure to recess nicely so it can still open/close good.

You should see 15 - 20 whp gains and shouldn't really revert back too much to stock ecu trims. GL!
What did you do with your cigarette lighter? where did you relocate it?
Old 12-24-12, 10:11 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Does yours still open up on its own? Mine still does, but it goes very slow due to the added weight of the unit inside. Any way you can make it open up nicer? Also did you relocate your cigarette lighter? I'm trying to find to best place to put that.
Yeah mine still opens same a before, if you look close at the pic the cig lighter is still in the same location, I just have a 2-port usb charger plugged in that pic shown. But the hks was not as wide as the neo so I was able tohave both still.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
nice set up mike.. what model pioneer is that double din
It an 8400, I've been pretty happy with it. Got to take some time to mess around with the mixtrax software on the computer one day and see what all it can do, and the android app cable supposedly also works for that model now with a firmware update not just the appradio2, I may have to try that sometime but the cable are kinda pricey to buy if there is a chance it won't work.
Old 12-24-12, 03:10 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

just wondering where are you installing the wide band sensor and gauge? does the sensor require you to weld an extra bung in your exhaust?

Quick Reply: Apexi Neo Install