GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just got pulled over...... Sigh 3rd brake light ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 05:26 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just got pulled over...... Sigh 3rd brake light ?

So I got pulled over for the first time for my third brake light, he said it was out, I hit my brake pedal when I got home and it lit right up, I've had police behind me before and never got pulled at night, my 3rd brake light goes OFF when I release the brake and then goes ON when I hit the brake pedal, so does my 3rd brake light have to ALWAYS be lit when I'm driving with the lights on, if so why doesent mine? It's LED and wired up somehow, idk what the hell the previous owner did, so how did I just pass inspection like this? I also have a headlight out which I'm replacing this week, did he pull me over more so cause of the headlight, and just added that third brake light in their?
Old 12-03-12, 05:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Third brake light is just that, a BRAKE light. No need for it to be on all the time. Do you have tinted windows, how bright is it? If the LED's arent bright enough, thats probably why they pulled you over. I got a ticket for having tinted tails because apparently you cant see the braking through the tint. COULD be why, just my 2c
Old 12-03-12, 05:45 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Third brake light is just that, a BRAKE light. No need for it to be on all the time. Do you have tinted windows, how bright is it? If the LED's arent bright enough, thats probably why they pulled you over. I got a ticket for having tinted tails because apparently you cant see the braking through the tint. COULD be why, just my 2c
Nope no tint on windows or tails , probably just profiling like usual around here, I know the cop and he let me go in 30 seconds, and no my LEDs are perfect for the 3rd brake light, very visible.. Cool that makes me feel better, I thought it stayed on all the time just like the tails...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 12-03-12 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 06:27 PM
LexXxtacy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats dumb, obviously i heard of people getting pulled over for a brake light out but a third brake, must be one bored cop. where at in PA are you from?
Old 12-03-12, 07:15 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexXxtacy
thats dumb, obviously i heard of people getting pulled over for a brake light out but a third brake, must be one bored cop. where at in PA are you from?
Like 30 minutes outside of Pittsburgh...
Old 12-05-12, 03:24 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Was about to take off my spoiler but don't have a third brake light. Wonder if Texas cops are **** about that.....
Old 12-05-12, 03:32 AM
ClarisaRWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch good to know
Old 12-05-12, 07:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
probably just profiling like usual around here,
so you have a headlight out and a third brake light out but he is profiling you?

Originally Posted by LexXxtacy
thats dumb, obviously i heard of people getting pulled over for a brake light out but a third brake
third brake light is actually one of the most important brake lights
Old 12-05-12, 07:57 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a load of BS. You should dispute that ticket.

I'm glad my GS originally didn't have a spoiler so mine is behind the rear windshield
Old 12-05-12, 08:12 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
Was about to take off my spoiler but don't have a third brake light. Wonder if Texas cops are **** about that.....

you don't have one in your rear deck?
Old 12-05-12, 08:20 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

I didn't get a ticket I knew the cop, my rear window deck is equipped with a 3rd brake light, i dont have a spoiler, it functions fine I don't know what the hell he was talking about, when I hit the brake it goes off just like its supposed too, headlight is fixed now I'm good to go! Blah
Old 12-06-12, 11:06 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
you don't have one in your rear deck?
GSs that came from the factory with spoilers don't have the rear deck brake light. Obviously those without the spoiler came with the deck mounted brake light. Cars that came from the factory w/o the spolier, but had it added at the dealership can have both the spoiler brake light, AND the rear deck light. So removing the dealer install spoiler won't have any adverse effect on the deck light, once removed.
Old 12-06-12, 11:17 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Like 30 minutes outside of Pittsburgh...
Where at? I'm from belle Vernon. I know cops around here aren't strict. But Bethel Park will pull you over for anything. I guess it all depends on cop/police department
Old 12-06-12, 11:35 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Where at? I'm from belle Vernon. I know cops around here aren't strict. But Bethel Park will pull you over for anything. I guess it all depends on cop/police department
I'm in Jeannette/Greensburg area, u ain't far from me, we should meet up sometime!
Old 12-06-12, 12:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

sounds like the cop just wants an excuse to pull you over to check up on your car
maybe its a nice ride and he wants to get a look at it more

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over...... Sigh 3rd brake light ?