GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sad month for me... Please give me suggestions.. DIY's, opinions, advice, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 05:02 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Any DIYs? Please. I'm searching but it feels as though at times, that this forum reader gets harder and harder to search for pin and point things. I'm trying...
Have you had a real good look at your car to make sure you only need the bumper and fender. From the picture it almost seems like the headlight is pushed back some, which means you may have some work to do under the hood on the light support. That might mean some cutting and welding if you want perfection. You may also have to do some work on the hood. If any of these parts are even slight bent you would be much better off letting a good body shop fix you up. Those guys can take a bumper and fender off in no time flat. They should also be able to line up everything so it looks like new. Also a good body shop will paint bumpers and hoods off of the car but they will also blend new paint into some of the overlapping parts so that the different shades are much less noticeable. If your car has original paint on it there is very little chance that the paint has not faded or lost some sparkle in the last 10-15 years.

Bottom line if all you are doing is removing and reinstalling parts you might be ok with DIY, but if anything is out of wack you should just send it all off to a good body shop.
Old 11-23-12, 05:41 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will echo what has already been said. If you buy pre painted parts, dont expect them to match perfectly. Silver is a hard color to match as it is, even with the car in front of them. You can take 10 brand new cars the same color and you will have slight color differences between them.
Old 11-23-12, 05:59 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take the car to a good body shop so they can get u the parts and do all the work? Don't buy painted parts.. U could get some nice led side mirrors for the price ur paying for a painted stock 1.
Old 11-23-12, 06:09 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Hey buddy. I searched thru your link but I cant seem to find that front bumper DIY. I look into the next closest thing before that, headlights, but both threads state that they did not take bumper off before removing. Any suggestions? Btw, GREAT link.....
Old 11-23-12, 06:41 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get parts used and the put it on yourself an get it painted. Try car-parts.com, in club lexus classified, craigs list, ebay
Old 11-23-12, 06:55 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newgsman
Have you had a real good look at your car to make sure you only need the bumper and fender. From the picture it almost seems like the headlight is pushed back some, which means you may have some work to do under the hood on the light support. That might mean some cutting and welding if you want perfection. You may also have to do some work on the hood. If any of these parts are even slight bent you would be much better off letting a good body shop fix you up. Those guys can take a bumper and fender off in no time flat. They should also be able to line up everything so it looks like new. Also a good body shop will paint bumpers and hoods off of the car but they will also blend new paint into some of the overlapping parts so that the different shades are much less noticeable. If your car has original paint on it there is very little chance that the paint has not faded or lost some sparkle in the last 10-15 years.

Bottom line if all you are doing is removing and reinstalling parts you might be ok with DIY, but if anything is out of wack you should just send it all off to a good body shop.
Yes I do understand all of those factors. I am aware of the headlights as well. The driver side is completely cracked. Luckily the H.I.D.'s didn't break.. They still light .. So all I have to do is buy them new, which I been ultimately wanting to but never got around to it.. Lol. Guess it took some convincing.. I'm a pretty good all around DIYer and I think once I take apart the whole front end, I'll go over everything meticulously, make a list, and go replace everything new before installing back. There's this one piece I just cant seem to find on SewellParts. It's right under the fender. Like a strip of some sort. I wonder if anyone has replace this before... And if so, can I get a part #??? LOL.. I will post pics thru out my whole recovery from this bad nightmare so you guys can see!
Attached Thumbnails Sad month for me... Please give me suggestions.. DIY's, opinions, advice, etc...-fender-strip-1.jpg   Sad month for me... Please give me suggestions.. DIY's, opinions, advice, etc...-fender-strip-2.jpg   Sad month for me... Please give me suggestions.. DIY's, opinions, advice, etc...-fender-strip-3.jpg   Sad month for me... Please give me suggestions.. DIY's, opinions, advice, etc...-fender-strip-4.jpg  
Old 11-23-12, 07:04 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Please, what is this strip identified down under as in SewellParts?? I can't find it any category in the lists. Not in the bumper section or the hood & fender section either... Also, any DIYs on removal of front bumper out there?? Link above was close but couldn't find it either. Thanks! Strip pics above.....^^^^^
Old 11-23-12, 08:09 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

wow! a tear almost came out. never thought p0rn-adkt would be so sincere/caring in a thread..i knew you had it in you! LMAO
Old 11-23-12, 08:17 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Wish I could get that part number for that strip...
Old 11-23-12, 08:24 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Please any DIYs for front bumper removal & installation??? Is there any at all? Do I really Have to Make one? I will gladly make one when I receive my parts and begin my whole process.. But I really do not want to go into the dark with no flashlight, if you know what I mean. Please help. DIY on front bumper and that strip in my pics above, what is that???
Old 11-23-12, 08:34 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Please, what is this strip identified down under as in SewellParts?? I can't find it any category in the lists. Not in the bumper section or the hood & fender section either... Also, any DIYs on removal of front bumper out there?? Link above was close but couldn't find it either. Thanks! Strip pics above.....^^^^^
I believe this is the part you want

MOULDING, FRONT FENDER WHEEL OPENING, (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE)

Its under Body -Side moulding section.

The bumper is pretty straight forward to take off. The only screws which you can't see too easily normally are accessed by pulling the wheel well liner back a bit. In your case you should be able to see them pretty easy right where your bumper is ripped under the head light. If you take all of the engine under covers off you can see the bumper to fender screws real easy but to access them you need to pull back the wheel liner and get at them from the wheel well. All the other screws are along the enginer under cover and clips in between each headlights
Old 11-24-12, 08:01 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newgsman
I believe this is the part you want

MOULDING, FRONT FENDER WHEEL OPENING, (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE)

Its under Body -Side moulding section.

The bumper is pretty straight forward to take off. The only screws which you can't see too easily normally are accessed by pulling the wheel well liner back a bit. In your case you should be able to see them pretty easy right where your bumper is ripped under the head light. If you take all of the engine under covers off you can see the bumper to fender screws real easy but to access them you need to pull back the wheel liner and get at them from the wheel well. All the other screws are along the enginer under cover and clips in between each headlights
Thank you so much buddy. I just got back from the bank....... Just ordered a bunch of stuff for my baby and 1 of those things was that piece you helped me so kindfully find. I put up a pic of the diagram so people can see it incase they're in the same situation as I am or find their selves in the near future. It only cost me $37.64. I love SewellParts!
Attached Thumbnails Sad month for me... Please give me suggestions.. DIY's, opinions, advice, etc...-side-moulding.jpg  
Old 11-24-12, 08:04 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

As soon as all the parts I ordered come in, I'll post up many pics, prices, etc. Thanks CL!
Old 11-25-12, 05:37 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Just keeping my page relevant. Wanna feel special lol. Will be posting many pics soon! stay tuned like LOONEY TUNES lol

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 11-26-12, 09:22 PM
giolex300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find how to remove the bumper?

Quick Reply: Sad month for me... Please give me suggestions.. DIY's, opinions, advice, etc...