GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My wife wants me to trade in my baby

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 06:25 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the majority, keep the GS. Drive the RX on those weekend trips. The GS has plenty of room in the back to run the kid to daycare on the weekdays. Save your money, cause you'll be losing money on any trade-in, and you'll need the cash the new baby. I know, I have two of my own.

Actually, the most efficient family transport is a minivan. Most don't because of the perceived stigma of driving one.

Oh BTW, I used to have disgreements with my wife about these somewhat minor issues also. But when the baby comes and you're raising a family, she'll have other things to worry about. Good luck.
Old 12-04-02, 06:36 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

yea, you defintiely don't need all the space of the GX for just ONE baby. Seems like the RX is perfect for that IMO.

It reminds me of all the people who have been brainwashed by Lee Iacocca and company over the years into thinking that they need a minivan (yuk) just because they have kid(s).That man was a marketing genius for sure!

Tell her that keeping your GS is your one "personal space". She should understand.....let's hope, anyway.

Good luck!!!

Eric
Old 12-04-02, 06:51 PM
TQM_V8
Driver School Candidate

May I suggest a shift in paradigm here? I originally was looking at Z06(s) (used) and decided on a GS400 BECAUSE I needed more of a family car. The GS400 is quite adequate for family needs. This whole SUV = family thing is really bizarre to me. Why? I think the common answer is the perception that they are safer. Once you consider the horrible stability, cornering and braking of these monsters, what is left for SUVs?

Stay with the GS!!!

TQM
Old 12-04-02, 07:18 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TQM_V8
May I suggest a shift in paradigm here? I originally was looking at Z06(s) (used) and decided on a GS400 BECAUSE I needed more of a family car. The GS400 is quite adequate for family needs. This whole SUV = family thing is really bizarre to me. Why? I think the common answer is the perception that they are safer. Once you consider the horrible stability, cornering and braking of these monsters, what is left for SUVs?

Stay with the GS!!!

TQM
And on top of the safety issues above, I do remember a certain crash test episode of Dateline a couple years back in which most of the SUV's tested lacked a certain side-impact brace that was federally mandated to be in cars only, not SUVs. Maybe that has changed, not sure. SUV= safe???? Hardly.

Last edited by ebruce2; 12-04-02 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-04-02, 08:04 PM
LexFather

Tell her if u have to get the GX, no nookie for her!
Old 12-04-02, 08:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The GX right now will go at full sticker price because of the high demand. My dealer will get 6 GXs a month, so the waiting list a little bit too long. I'll keep the GS and get a use RX for her.
Fully loaded GX will go for 53K+taxes, tag and title, then you'll be looking at around 57K out the door.
Old 12-04-02, 09:41 PM
joewoz2001
Driver

Hi!!

Actually I would keep the Rx300 for now probabely for a few more years because I think the Rx300 is a really nice driving and handling vehicle. I drove a couple Rx's from when My 1990 LS was in for service.

Good luck,

-Joe
Old 12-04-02, 09:58 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by ChronoJ1
If I had a GS430...
I'd be...

OVER MY FRIGGIN DEAD BODY!

But that's only me.

werd! i'd do the same.. i agree suv .. in city.. bad idea.. however if you dont live in city i guess its ok to get suv.. but as second car..

in my opinion everyone should have sedan.. (1-2ppl) of if its a family then vagon..(3ppl) and suv (4ppl) and van for (5+ppl)
Old 12-04-02, 11:12 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Theres no-way I would get rid of my GS for an SUV maybe I get the SUV for my second ride. All you need is something with some room not to exspensive, the kids are gonna wear it out real quick! Trust me with the CAR SEATS alone!!
Old 12-05-02, 06:33 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Maybe time to trade the wife instead!
Old 12-06-02, 01:20 PM
jboy
Driver

Default Re: My wife wants me to trade in my baby

Originally posted by dnguyen_GS430
My wife and I got invited to the preview at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont, Ca today and now she wants me to trade in my GS430 for the GX470. We are in a market for a SUV for our upcoming family. But to give up my baby is hard. What do you CL member think? any ideas?

I really like both but only can choose one....Tough decision.

Thanks
Here's an interesting data point. After 9 years of SUV ownership I recently purchased a GS430. I am incredibly happy to be back in a car that has reasonable acceleration, cornering, and does not eat up my garage.

I would be hard pressed to go back to an SUV again. They are too big, too slow, eat a lot of gas, and are less safe than a regular car. Also, most lack style. They really are the stationwagon or mini-vans of the 90s.

IMHO the only reason to have and SUV is to go offroad.

jerry
Old 12-06-02, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

even funnier, a lot of people (and marketing) says that SUV are actually safer than normal cars.... i don't know where the heck that comes from. it's higher profile (flip easier in any case), no reason to be any stronger than normal cars, etc....
Old 12-06-02, 02:53 PM
jboy
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
even funnier, a lot of people (and marketing) says that SUV are actually safer than normal cars.... i don't know where the heck that comes from. it's higher profile (flip easier in any case), no reason to be any stronger than normal cars, etc....
I think your point about marketing people, etc. is correct. However, I think many of them are built sturdier (frames vs. unibody), but this does not necessarily translate to safer. The energy of a crash has to be asborbed somewhere. So either the frame and body deform, the item hit deform (car, mountain side), or the objects (people) inside the vehicle deform.

jerry
Old 12-06-02, 11:23 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Are suvs all built on frames? I thought only the ones built on truck frames. But I am not an expert.

If you have to get a SUV, go for a SAV, and get a X5 4.6. That should keep the grin on your face..until you get out of the warranty period! My friend brought his into the shop and the dealer gave him a Chevy 4 door thing as a loaner car. On second thought, maybe a GX would be better.

Last edited by meanboy; 12-06-02 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-12-02, 01:20 AM
5.9rotorM3
Driver School Candidate

EASY choice....Keep the G.S. Divorce the wife.

Quick Reply: My wife wants me to trade in my baby