GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keep or sell

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 04:53 PM
squeaks638
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep or sell

I have a 98 gs400 I bought back in may. I have replaced the entire suspension since I bought it. Well I went out and started it today and noticed a funny smell from the exhaust. I am almost positive it is blown headgaskets. The car doesnt overheat, there isnt coolent in the oil or the other way around. I would have to pay a friend of mine to help me change out the headgaskets. should I keep it and pay the money or just try and sell it and take a loss to get something else or fix it and keep driving? oh and I just noticed the guy I got it from had put electrical tape over the CEL.
Old 11-15-12, 05:23 PM
kdick91
Driver

A funny smell could be a bad cat, running rich/lean, or a host of issues. I would never attribute a blown head gasket on a hunch. Or pay someone to change. Especially if there is no overheating or oil/water mess. You need to do a leakdown test and see if you have any cylinders bleeding down pressure. That would at least tell you if there is a major problem needing addressing. Have you noticed oil level decreasing or coolant? If not, I'd lean even MORE away from blown head gasket. Not knowing anything about the situation, I'd bet you have a bum cat. Those usually make a funky smell when they stop functioning. At least in my experience.... What is this smell you're experiencing? Oil? Sweet/coolant? Rotten egg? Fuel?

Hopefully we will be able to get you on the right track.
Old 11-15-12, 05:29 PM
squeaks638
Rookie

Originally Posted by kdick91
A funny smell could be a bad cat, running rich/lean, or a host of issues. I would never attribute a blown head gasket on a hunch. Or pay someone to change. Especially if there is no overheating or oil/water mess. You need to do a leakdown test and see if you have any cylinders bleeding down pressure. That would at least tell you if there is a major problem needing addressing. Have you noticed oil level decreasing or coolant? If not, I'd lean even MORE away from blown head gasket. Not knowing anything about the situation, I'd bet you have a bum cat. Those usually make a funky smell when they stop functioning. At least in my experience.... What is this smell you're experiencing? Oil? Sweet/coolant? Rotten egg? Fuel?

Hopefully we will be able to get you on the right track.
Smells like coolant I think. And the coolant level is low. Could it be just a leaking coolant hose dripping into the intake manifold?
Old 11-15-12, 05:55 PM
kdick91
Driver

Originally Posted by squeaks638
Smells like coolant I think. And the coolant level is low. Could it be just a leaking coolant hose dripping into the intake manifold?
There isn't anywhere for the coolant to leak in to the intake. At all. If your burning coolant, it will be very obvious. Smoke and sweet smell. Coolant smells just like it tastes. If you need a reference, dip your finger in coolant and taste it.

How quickly do you lose coolant?
Old 11-15-12, 06:00 PM
squeaks638
Rookie

Originally Posted by kdick91
There isn't anywhere for the coolant to leak in to the intake. At all. If your burning coolant, it will be very obvious. Smoke and sweet smell. Coolant smells just like it tastes. If you need a reference, dip your finger in coolant and taste it.

How quickly do you lose coolant?
Not quickly at all. But I just noticed the smell and smoke for the first time today
Old 11-15-12, 06:07 PM
kdick91
Driver

Are you sure it is smoke? Since it has gotten cold, all my cars make a lot of steam in the morning. Are you sure yours isn't just making steam?
Old 11-15-12, 06:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^I have never heard of one of these engines having a head gasket issue. Are you positive it is? There was a guy on the IH8MUD forums who was positive his headgasket was gone, but it ended up being a leak
Old 11-15-12, 06:43 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Clogged cat.
Old 11-15-12, 06:52 PM
squeaks638
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Clogged cat.
Maybe. It has the check engine light on. I am going to get the code pulled tomorrow. How can I tell if its a clogged cat?
Old 11-15-12, 06:52 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

i would get it checked out by a proper mechanic before making any kind of assumptions, we haven't seen any blown headgasket issues on 1uzfe motors, not saying it's not possible...For the Piece of mind get it checked out.

I just sold my 98 GS400 with almost 300k miles and it never had any overheating or headgasket issues.
Old 11-15-12, 07:20 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by squeaks638
Maybe. It has the check engine light on. I am going to get the code pulled tomorrow. How can I tell if its a clogged cat?
For the most part, the symptoms your having.
Old 11-15-12, 08:13 PM
squeaks638
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
For the most part, the symptoms your having.
I sure hope so
Old 11-15-12, 08:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

pull the codes and start from there.. too much to fix then sell.
Old 11-16-12, 07:10 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait. So this thread is about a strange smell??? Yet you haven't noticed anything visually? If you had a blown head gasket you would see white smoke coming from the tail pipe and you would certainly notice oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil (chocolate milk like) always. If you have a "hunch" that the head gasket is blown the easiest way to tell is to check your coolant and your oil. That will be your sign. For the CEL, have the codes ran and go from there....

Good luck
Old 11-17-12, 11:37 AM
squeaks638
Rookie

I am an idiot. The smoke is gone. Had the codes pulled, and I need two new cats and a leak in the evac system. Thanks for the input, and proceed with the name calling. lol

Quick Reply: Keep or sell