GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How can I eliminate the drive by wire???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 08:45 AM
twoloose
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I eliminate the drive by wire???

Hey guys been searching but can't find a definitive answer. I'm running the aristo swap with aem v2(Honda box) that controls the motor minus the throttle body cause I'm running the aristo ecu and it controls the aristo 4spd trans which needs the input from the TB. Long story short, how can I eliminate the drive by wire and not put my trans in limp mode?? What do I need to do? Can I do it using the aristo tb? Do I need to go USDM supra upper and tb? Please help. Thanks!!
Old 11-15-12, 12:18 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

There's really no way of removing the electronic throttle without having the ECU freak out on you and throwing the auto trans into limp mode. I'm currently in the process of designing a simulation circuit that will trick the ECU into thinking that the throttle is still there. I just need a car on a standalone + auto to test on lol. I'm slowly finishing up my white car so I'm going to be able to start on the transmission simulator circuit soon.
Old 11-15-12, 12:28 PM
twoloose
Driver

So would my only real option be to go to a non vvti supra upper and tb and hide the stock aristo tb somewhere in the car still hooked up to the sensors?
Old 11-15-12, 02:42 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by twoloose
So would my only real option be to go to a non vvti supra upper and tb and hide the stock aristo tb somewhere in the car still hooked up to the sensors?
I've seen a few IS guys having to keep the stock tb hooked up and stashed when running Q45 or Accufab TB's.

Since your current TB is already stripped and welded you can use that still, no need to swap to a non-vvti TB and intake Mani..

Although you would need another vvti tb to hook back up, and you also have to have a idle air valve of some sort.

But I assume if the car is running just in limp mode you must already have an IACV hooked up and running off the AEM since you guys already welded up the aristo tb??
Old 11-15-12, 09:20 PM
twoloose
Driver

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
I've seen a few IS guys having to keep the stock tb hooked up and stashed when running Q45 or Accufab TB's.

Since your current TB is already stripped and welded you can use that still, no need to swap to a non-vvti TB and intake Mani..

Although you would need another vvti tb to hook back up, and you also have to have a idle air valve of some sort.

But I assume if the car is running just in limp mode you must already have an IACV hooked up and running off the AEM since you guys already welded up the aristo tb??
We are going to leave the aristo tb in place since its already setup for dbc and then put another tb in the trunk hooked up. So basically doing what you said tomorrow morning. We are going to get everything hooked and and place the extra tb in the engine bay somewhere and test it out to make sure it solves the problem before we do all the work to move it to the trunk....So please hope that everything goes good tomorrow and the car will finally be done and running great...Thanks GS3 for the help!!
Old 11-16-12, 09:09 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Try it out and let us know how it works. It may work different on the GS than the IS because there are some differences in the ECU.