GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How can i reset my gauge needles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-12, 08:55 PM
lexmajor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How can i reset my gauge needles?

So heres my problem i was messing around with my gauge and my gas needle ended up falling off so i just placed it back, and put it back on zero, thing is i had no idea how much gas i had, i believe i had a half tank so after reassembling the gauge and turning on the car, the needle went up a to a full tank which i know i did not have so i readjusted it and put it a little below half a tank because i had let the car run for a while, i thought it was all fine but i had my doubts so i let the gas needle drop around E waiting for the gas indicator light to come on but it hasn't, i still have gas in my car but its very close to E. i don't want to risk it and empty out my car waiting for the gas light to come up, but i know I now my gas needle is all messed up. Does anybody know how to reset it. Any advice on what i should do?
Old 11-14-12, 09:17 PM
baconcake
Rookie

Maybe try just filling your tank up to full and placing the needle to a little past full or "F'"
Old 11-14-12, 09:23 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure u put the key in the ON position, u hold in the trip meter button then hit the other one below or above it (trip A and trip B?) or vice versa and u will see your gas gauge needle jump to where it should be...
Old 11-14-12, 09:35 PM
lexmajor
Driver School Candidate

Smile

@baconcake @FlockoGS4 thanks guys so much ill try either one ASAP
Old 11-14-12, 10:17 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
I'm pretty sure u put the key in the ON position, u hold in the trip meter button then hit the other one below or above it (trip A and trip B?) or vice versa and u will see your gas gauge needle jump to where it should be...
good info! nice to know!
Old 11-14-12, 10:35 PM
lexmajor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
do you know it works for the 2000 gs300, tried it couple of seconds ago no luck but i feel like i was doing something wrong i put the car in the "ON" position without actually turning on the car and then held down the ODO/TRIP button before just hitting the reset button which is above the ODO/TRIP and i dint see nothing was i suppose to be holding the button longer or letting go at the same time, any help will be helpful. im killing myself trying to figure it out thanks again
Old 11-14-12, 11:12 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmajor
do you know it works for the 2000 gs300, tried it couple of seconds ago no luck but i feel like i was doing something wrong i put the car in the "ON" position without actually turning on the car and then held down the ODO/TRIP button before just hitting the reset button which is above the ODO/TRIP and i dint see nothing was i suppose to be holding the button longer or letting go at the same time, any help will be helpful. im killing myself trying to figure it out thanks again
Hold it down for at least 10 seconds and keep it held in while you hit the reset button....reverse the order and try it the other way, I gotta 98 gs400 and it works for me.....hmmm did u try resetting the ecu, take the negative terminal off your battery for a half an hour, I would try that next if my suggestion don't work.....