GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

203 gs300 code# P0430; catalytic malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-12, 12:49 PM
viprtwo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 203 gs300 code# P0430; catalytic malfunction

hey guys my friend is getting a cel code p0430 catalytic converter malfunction on bank one.

An independent shop is quoting him $1150 including labor to replace the cat..

I'm not sure if that means replacing the entire manifold or just the car.

is this a good price or could something else be causing that code to throw?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 11-04-12, 06:46 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Replace 02 sensors first!!!! Then, if you're still getting code then replace with an aftermarket cat. They are MUCH cheaper than stock.
Old 11-04-12, 07:26 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Codes don't tell you what part to replace, they are a troubleshooting aid to help determine what the actual problem is.

Has the gas mileage decrease significantly, how about acceleration? How many miles are on the car, and what does the exhaust smell like?
Old 11-04-12, 07:33 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by viprtwo
hey guys my friend is getting a cel code p0430 catalytic converter malfunction on bank one.

Thank you!
PO430 is bank 2, this location is the sensor on the midpipe, under the passenger seat.
Old 11-04-12, 08:53 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like 99_GS3 said. Unless you're smelling rotten eggs from your exhaust and crappy gas mileage then your cat is still good. It's prolly one of your O2 Sensors then.
Old 11-05-12, 05:04 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

If the exhaust gas is not smelling like rotten egg it could be the midpipe exhaust gasket. That was the problem with mine. Have your friend change out the 2 donut gaskets in the midpipe section of the exhaust. You can get the gasket from the dealer or Autozone for about $12.00 for the set.
Old 03-27-14, 04:25 PM
striderg3
Rookie

I have a 2006 GS430 with 90000mi.
I have the same code. Exhause doesn't smell like anything bad.
I MAY have power loss but I haven't pushed the car hard.
I guess I will do a scan on the O2 sensors and see which ones values are fluctuating
Old 10-28-14, 08:41 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by striderg3
I have a 2006 GS430 with 90000mi.
I have the same code. Exhause doesn't smell like anything bad.
I MAY have power loss but I haven't pushed the car hard.
I guess I will do a scan on the O2 sensors and see which ones values are fluctuating
Do u fit the problem with code P0430?? I have the same problem, but I change all gasket and when I say all was all to avoid to the 3 light pop out again on the dash. But no was that :-(. I buy both O2 sensor up and low ones, installing and 3 days later the light show op again. I don' t what else I can do about it. I not smell nothing at all (rotten egg) on the rear pip or muffler My muffler guy check for leak and nothing.. Not leak?? Help please I hate see that 3lights on my dash Also, the gas miles on my car decreased and I fill that the engine loses some power? any help please.
Old 10-29-14, 04:37 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

I've replaced all of the sensors and switched back to premium. Wifey was putting regular in there. I still get the check engine light from time to time....but I did some research and it's from leaks in the exhaust. Turns out a leaky exhaust will trip the same code "exhaust inefficiency". Your exhaust may have a leak somewhere...prolly right at the 02 bung or at the header flange. There is a gasket there. I'll keep patchn' it till I decide to keep or sell it. it's a 98 and only got 130k on it so I'd like to spin it up to 200k before I get rid of it.
Old 10-29-14, 02:20 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the GS300 there are 4ea 02 sensors. The ones BEFORE the cat are used by the ECM to trim fuel and such to obtain the correct air/fuel ratio. The ones after the cats are there to check the efficiency of the cats only. If you are smelling rotten eggs and all that jazz, then it is not a cat, its a fuel trim problem. The egg smell is the cat having to burn all the hydrocarbons being pushed through the engine that did not ignite during the compression/ignition cycle. Rotten egg smell does NOT mean a bad cat. But if you continue to drive it with this condition, you will eventually plug up the cat. Prem fuel is a must. The ECM will retard the living crap out of the timing when you run low/mid grade fuel due to detonation inside the combustion chamber "click" sound. The byproduct is a very late spark/burn resulting in excessive unburnt hydrocarbons entering the exhaust system.......rotten eggs incoming..

A leak in the exhaust manifold flange will cause the pre cat 02 sensor to see a false "lean" condition due to the venturi effect of the exhaust pulling in fresh air from the leak. Once the ECM sees this "lean" condition from the pre cat 02, it will then increase injector pulse length to help buffer off the ratio skew and return the air fuel ratio to its preset parameter loaded in the prom. Since essentially, the motor is not running lean in the first place...its just additional fresh cooler air being sucked into the exhaust...you will end up with a rich condition due to to ECM compensation for the false "lean", and again the cat having to overwork to burn the extra hydrocarbons pumped into the exhaust.

An exhaust leak after the 02 sensors will causing nothing more than irritating sound, hence the reason you can change all your exhaust after the cats and not effect emissions...e.g. resonator delete and the like.
The following users liked this post:
Boshibu (11-04-22)
Old 10-30-14, 01:59 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

OMG, im SOOO sick of hearing everyone saying their about to replace their CAT converters just because the check engine light says the word CAT on it, people freak out. I cant even count how many times I told somebody replace their O2s first if its not an exhaust leak. And to think they were going to charge you over $1,000 for a piece of **** aftermarket CAT thats not worth pennies compared to stock. they were going to make like $800 labor off you. Do some research people! Thank god for clublexus!

Last edited by DMPesso; 10-30-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 02:20 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyKeeper
Rotten egg smell does NOT mean a bad cat.

ANOTHER MYTH, ROTTEN EGGS SMELL DOES NOT MEAN THE CAT IS BAD, I HAD EXHAUST LEAKS AND BAD O2 SENSORS THAT CAUSED THE SAME ROTTEN EGG SMELL UNTIL I REPLACED THEM.
Old 11-02-14, 10:59 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

On the GS300 there are 4ea 02 sensors. The ones BEFORE the cat are used by the ECM to trim fuel and such to obtain the correct air/fuel ratio. The ones after the cats are there to check the efficiency of the cats only. If you are smelling rotten eggs and all that jazz, then it is not a cat, its a fuel trim problem. The egg smell is the cat having to burn all the hydrocarbons being pushed through the engine that did not ignite during the compression/ignition cycle. Rotten egg smell does NOT mean a bad cat. But if you continue to drive it with this condition, you will eventually plug up the cat. Prem fuel is a must. The ECM will retard the living crap out of the timing when you run low/mid grade fuel due to detonation inside the combustion chamber "click" sound. The byproduct is a very late spark/burn resulting in excessive unburnt hydrocarbons entering the exhaust system.......rotten eggs incoming..

A leak in the exhaust manifold flange will cause the pre cat 02 sensor to see a false "lean" condition due to the venturi effect of the exhaust pulling in fresh air from the leak. Once the ECM sees this "lean" condition from the pre cat 02, it will then increase injector pulse length to help buffer off the ratio skew and return the air fuel ratio to its preset parameter loaded in the prom. Since essentially, the motor is not running lean in the first place...its just additional fresh cooler air being sucked into the exhaust...you will end up with a rich condition due to to ECM compensation for the false "lean", and again the cat having to overwork to burn the extra hydrocarbons pumped into the exhaust.

An exhaust leak after the 02 sensors will causing nothing more than irritating sound, hence the reason you can change all your exhaust after the cats and not effect emissions...e.g. resonator delete and the like.
Well said...
Old 06-01-15, 06:50 AM
Charmar12
Driver School Candidate

In addition to having the Cat code I also mutiple cylinder's that are misfiring (P0301-P0303) any advice on where to start?
Old 06-01-15, 07:48 AM
PandaGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly thought, but if it is a gasket leak, cant people just use seafoam and monitor the engine bay. If there is a leak then the CO2 being burnt off (white smoke) would leak out of any compromised areas. Technically......

Quick Reply: 203 gs300 code# P0430; catalytic malfunction