GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

this door lock DYI was a waste of money for me!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-12, 03:11 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this door lock DYI was a waste of money for me!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ators-diy.html

I appreciate the time and effort of this poster, but as I have had several people try and give up on, this is much harder than it looks on paper and once u buy the parts, like I did for all 4, u can't find a local mechanic that will touch the project because they are aftermarket parts and/or not the parts they picked out. I have had 2 non-working driver-side door locks now for almost 6 months now that I blew out trying to reprogram my new remote and this really sucks. I just got a quote on how much a mechanic would charge to install new door lock actuators for my driver side both front and back(which are the ones that are inop)and it was $720! So not doing that anytime soon and i'm kinda stuck. Just trying to warn anyone before u look at that thread and think it's an easy job and waste your money and are in a bind like me now.
Old 10-24-12, 03:43 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey, that's the same way i blew out my door locks too. It truly is a crappy process. Luckily for me, i was able to program the keys and the warranty i had covered all 4 door locks.
Old 10-24-12, 03:57 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you were smart, you would read the whole thing and when your comfortable then buy the product.

The motors were what, $20? Its easier than you think read towards the end there are shortcuts.
Old 10-24-12, 04:00 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

That's why I just bought new actuators. Well that, and my interior lights weren't coming on when the doors were open. So I killed 2 birds with one stone. Sure it cost more, but I was able to do the install myself.

EDIT: Not to mention it takes much less time than pulling them apart to swap the motors.
Old 10-24-12, 04:13 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive
hey, that's the same way i blew out my door locks too. It truly is a crappy process. Luckily for me, i was able to program the keys and the warranty i had covered all 4 door locks.
I wish I had a warranty
Old 10-24-12, 04:20 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Well if you were smart, you would read the whole thing and when your comfortable then buy the product.

The motors were what, $20? Its easier than you think read towards the end there are shortcuts.
That was a pretty condescending thing to say implying I'm stupid. I did read that entire article and both people helping me did too before I made the purchase, but once u get into the project it's pretty complicated and much harder than the article implies.
Old 10-24-12, 04:22 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by Blanco
That's why I just bought new actuators. Well that, and my interior lights weren't coming on when the doors were open. So I killed 2 birds with one stone. Sure it cost more, but I was able to do the install myself.

EDIT: Not to mention it takes much less time than pulling them apart to swap the motors.
So the factory actuators are an easier install? How much did u spend on them? Is there a write up on that?
Old 10-24-12, 04:32 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
That was a pretty condescending thing to say implying I'm stupid. I did read that entire article and both people helping me did too before I made the purchase, but once u get into the project it's pretty complicated and much harder than the article implies.
It looks intimidating, but really it isn't. For the front doors, all you need to remove is 5 bolts 4 t-30 bolts and 1 10mm.

Originally Posted by sho89mtx
So the factory actuators are an easier install? How much did u spend on them? Is there a write up on that?
Say you were to buy new factory actuators, its the be exactly the same process except you skip the part where you open the box to replace the motor.

What part are you stuck on.
Old 10-24-12, 04:37 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

It might be easy to u, but I'm not mechanical at all and both friends that were tried and gave up because everything was so hard to access. Wish someone in Oklahoma knew how to do this because ill pay them
Old 10-24-12, 04:49 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Dont need to be mechanical inclined at all. I just told you, 5 bolts to get the actuator out. what part are you stuck.
Old 10-24-12, 05:20 PM
sho89mtx
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Dont need to be mechanical inclined at all. I just told you, 5 bolts to get the actuator out. what part are you stuck.
it was last summer when 2 people attempted and gave up on it. It was getting access to the assembly was the part that made them all give up. It's not as easy as unbolting a few bolts and your done. You can act like it is, but read that thread. After I tried it, several others said it was too hard for them and some that actually did it said it took 5 hours to complete. Now if a 5 hour job is considered easy and non-mechanical to you, than I really don't know what to tell u.
Old 10-24-12, 05:33 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

this worked fine for me!!!

i opened up the door lock actuator and replaced the motor (which was only 2 dollars on ebay) and its been working flawlessly ever since.

the hardest part for me was taking apart the actual door lock actuator (as its held together by glue, and taking off that little metal "cap" on top of the motor to put into the new one".

everything else is just screws.
Old 10-24-12, 05:33 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

I'll make it nice and easy for you note this is only for the front.

See the top left circle? There are 3 T-30 bolts there
The one next to the plastic is another T-30, after you remove that make sure you unhook it from the door cause it has a little piece that cups the door.
Bottom- That is the trim that guides the window down, remove that bolt (10mm) so you're able to slide the actuator out.

Remember you have 2 metal things that hook onto the door handle

Unhook those 2 then your actuator is COMPLETELY free. Just pull the window trim and wiggly the actuator out and boom its free.

Can't get more simple than that.
Old 10-24-12, 06:03 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

back ones are a lot harder
Old 10-24-12, 06:10 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
back ones are a lot harder
I tried for 10 minutes then I gave up. Couldn't get it past the door handle. Stupid extended metal piece.

Quick Reply: this door lock DYI was a waste of money for me!