GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

JP grill frame question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 07:42 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JP grill frame question

I read through this thread which had some good info.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-grill-3.html

it's attached at 4 points, 2 top and 2 bottom. there are 2 vertical slats behind the grille, closer to the sides, that are welded to the outside horizontal slats. the 4 ends of the verticl slats, they are screwed to the back part of the original plasitc chrome frame.

so yes, indeed, the outside become quite flimsy while the center grille is all solid coz' outside is just plastic. the stock grille doesn't flex coz' there are plastic vertical slats all over it, but the frame on the jp grille is just an "empty" plastic frame, so it flex quite a bit. when i open up my hood, i actually try not to pull on the latch/grille that much.

I have one question for all of you jp owners. What is the inside of the stock grill frame covered with. As per the thread prior, the oem grill inner is cut out from the frame which then bolted to the jp grill. But what covers the oem cut points. My frame inner is covered with black electrical tape to hide the grind points. Is this normal? If so this is a bit tacky. If not I'm trying to come up with a cleaner option.

If you look at the stock chrome grill you will see what I'm saying....

If you delete the flats then some covering has to be done. I find it hard to believe JP would do this. The slates curve down and cover this but there still is no excuse.

Tape see....

anyone know about Vacuum Metalizing plastic?

http://www.hicksplastics.com/Vacuum_...astics_MI.html

I'm open for opinions........may be some type of plastic bondo and respray black,

what yall think?

Last edited by nar8ta; 10-19-12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 11:13 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Anyone.......?
Old 10-19-12, 11:25 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

seems as if you'd just cut them back as far as you can with a dremel or something, then you could probably spray chrome it if you mucked up the finish on the frame that bad...

I'm finding it a little hard to follow what exactly you're asking but that'd be my best guess...assuming you're talking about what do you do to smooth the little bit that's left on the outer frame when you cut out the vertical slats.
Old 10-19-12, 12:14 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

how come this one over the one they sell w/ the grill already attached?
Old 10-19-12, 01:21 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by excluesive
that's what I was wondering...I could have sworn they came as one assembly
Old 10-19-12, 07:02 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
seems as if you'd just cut them back as far as you can with a dremel or something, then you could probably spray chrome it if you mucked up the finish on the frame that bad...

I'm finding it a little hard to follow what exactly you're asking but that'd be my best guess...assuming you're talking about what do you do to smooth the little bit that's left on the outer frame when you cut out the vertical slats.
Jp uses the oem grill frame and chops out the inners in order to bolt the slats on. My question is to the jp grill owners to see if their frame is also wrapped with electrical tape. If not tape, what is used to cover the oem frame grid points. Take a look at the pics. You will see the electrical tape around the frame. The left corner Is lifting.

Originally Posted by excluesive
The jp grill in the picture is my grill with the frame, which is not the point LOL.

Wait a minute Ty chromed his JP grill, I have to give him a call.

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
that's what I was wondering...I could have sworn they came as one assembly
They do but they also sell it without the frame. Mine came with the frame (chrispy's old grill) but the electrical tape is what is puzzling me.

Last edited by nar8ta; 10-19-12 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 08:39 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got your answer as I had to go through this BS too. Cut the slats off carefully. I used the 98-00 grill because TE slats are skinnier. Once those have been cut out I masked the outside area to the recessed crease. From there I sanded the large flat area until it was all smooth. For the area that were cut too deep I had to use filler and sand until all even. Once this was done I brought it to my body shop and had it primed and painted.
Old 10-19-12, 09:55 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
I got your answer as I had to go through this BS too. Cut the slats off carefully. I used the 98-00 grill because TE slats are skinnier. Once those have been cut out I masked the outside area to the recessed crease. From there I sanded the large flat area until it was all smooth. For the area that were cut too deep I had to use filler and sand until all even. Once this was done I brought it to my body shop and had it primed and painted.
So we pay an arm, leg and head for this grill and the least they could have done was do a descent job on the grill frame

Did you take any pics, what grit sand paper did you use? What kind of filler which binds to plastic and is sand-able?

Finally, someone who feels my pain. Wait a minute, did you change the frame because of the horrible one that came with it or did you buy the frame less grill and had to make one?

Here is the pics of the frame which came with it with the electrical tape, then the tape removed.....

Horrible.... I'm surprised others haven't said anything about it. You can buy a small island for the price of this grill.

Last edited by nar8ta; 10-19-12 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 10:24 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Huh? What are you talking about? Yours came with a cut frame already? I bought just the billet grille on its own. Did you buy it new or used? You're suppose to modify your own frame. In my case I bought a 98-00 grille separately and cut the slats, sanded and painted myself. Had I known it would be so much work I would have bought it all preassembled. It worked out to be about the same price.
Old 10-19-12, 10:36 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Huh? What are you talking about? Yours came with a cut frame already? I bought just the billet grille on its own. Did you buy it new or used? You're suppose to modify your own frame. In my case I bought a 98-00 grille separately and cut the slats, sanded and painted myself. Had I known it would be so much work I would have bought it all preassembled. It worked out to be about the same price.
I stated this like forty times prior, mine came with the frame (used).

I think people have a bad habit of skimming rather than reading.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2ge...ce-grille.html

Tony has been really helpful in helping me fix the frame. He offered a refund (which i denied), is paying for the repair, and sending another oem grill to chop up......good dude, very rare to find brothers like him.

I want to find some one which bought it with the frame. They can then tell me what type of shape their grill frame came in. Unless this is the beautiful work of chrispy who made his own frame LOL.

Chrispy where are ya at give some info....

Last edited by nar8ta; 10-19-12 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 11:48 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Well in that case your answer and frustration to your question has been answered. The one you have was most likely just the billet grille and the owner modified frame himself (in this case poorly) and not the preassembled one direct from JP. If that was the case I'm sure quite a few people would have some complaints. I haven't taken a close look at the preassembled one from JP but I doubt its that sloppy. Either way I was really happy with the results of doing the frame myself.
Old 10-21-12, 02:06 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Well in that case your answer and frustration to your question has been answered. The one you have was most likely just the billet grille and the owner modified frame himself (in this case poorly) and not the preassembled one direct from JP. If that was the case I'm sure quite a few people would have some complaints. I haven't taken a close look at the preassembled one from JP but I doubt its that sloppy. Either way I was really happy with the results of doing the frame myself.
O Ok, I would love to see the reassembled one from JP.

anyone with the grill like to chime in?
Old 10-21-12, 03:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

sigh....kind of makes me glad i didnt buy that grill Lee. lol, hope you get this situated. sad you pay so much for this and its like that. dunno why they sell the insert in the first place for that price
Old 10-21-12, 07:30 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by sakataj
sigh....kind of makes me glad i didnt buy that grill Lee. lol, hope you get this situated. sad you pay so much for this and its like that. dunno why they sell the insert in the first place for that price
Nope, just spoke to Ty over the phone and he bought his JP grill complete (brand new) and his frame is also looked like mine. I guess this is a JP thing

No B, I'm still glad i bought it, just have to clean things up, JP should be ashamed of them self.
Old 10-21-12, 07:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nar8ta
JP should be ashamed of them self.
especially for that price......you might have to do like Justin did below in his quote or pay him to do it to yours. his turned out very well

In my case I bought a 98-00 grille separately and cut the slats, sanded and painted myself. Had I known it would be so much work I would have bought it all preassembled. It worked out to be about the same price.

Quick Reply: JP grill frame question