GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 (I love it and hate it)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 08:49 PM
Edgar300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 (I love it and hate it)

Yea, ive had this thing for going on two years now and I love it and hate it at the same times.
Has never and I dont think would give me mechanical issues even with the 212k and going miles it has on it.

Pictures from last year when I had the BMW Style 95's or whatever on it, not really lowered.

Nothing really special is done to the car. It has two or three year old K sport coilovers on it (need to replace rear strut, but pretty awesome especially for the price)

Changed out the front suspension components and lower ball joints after a very hard lesson, Seibon hood (painted) wheels and a KN Filter thing.

Ah you know some lights and stuff are on the dash, not really sure why my burn light is on ive checked all the lights and they all seem to be working. Check engine light has always been on too since I got it and seems like the car is running fine but just gets annoying looking at it.

I might be selling this one and looking for another one that might be in better shape but then I think about it and I rather just keep it going until it blows up.

How the car sits now, going to be lowering it more this weekend and installing my new steering wheel. (stock one is just simply beat)
Old 10-17-12, 08:56 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sharp looking car, did u ever get the code scanned to see why the check engine is on, seems like u kinda don't care if it blows up? I don't get it
Old 10-17-12, 08:59 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

looks good. ever think of swapping motor. may make you love it again
Old 10-17-12, 10:56 PM
Sykotic336
Driver

Originally Posted by nyc80rick
looks good. ever think of swapping motor. may make you love it again
x2 2jzgte car still looks dope!!!
Old 10-17-12, 11:52 PM
a1yola
Driver School Candidate

I'm really liking those BMW style 95's! How'd you get them to fit, wheel adapters (if so, what thickness) or re-drilled?
Old 10-18-12, 01:00 AM
frshhhhh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by a1yola
I'm really liking those BMW style 95's! How'd you get them to fit, wheel adapters (if so, what thickness) or re-drilled?
usually people get them redrilled. like i did, or some get adapters (19mm)
Old 10-18-12, 05:36 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

looks good, if you daily it then it should be more than enough. i daily mine, and i love you!
what kinda rims are those the gold one piece ones.
Old 10-18-12, 07:02 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's way too many lights on the dash. Two pieces of advice:

1.) The bulb out warning could be due to any LED bulbs you have on the car, LED tails (can't see the rear from those pics), a couple bulbs in the 3rd brake light out, or even the trunk light out.

2.) Have you run the codes for the check engine light?

3.) Search on the VSC, VSC OFF and TRAC OFF lights in this forum. Very common problem that IIRC is a pretty cheap and easy solution.

You've already done all the cosmetic stuff to it, why not mend the stuff that's wrong? It won't cost half of what you've already put into it, that I can say confidently. 212k is nothing on that car. Keep up with the maintenance and it'll easily make 3-400k miles before you need to worry about anything, and even at that point the car will rust away before the 2jz stops.
Old 10-18-12, 07:06 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by a1yola
I like them too, were did you find them?
Old 10-18-12, 08:53 AM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I like them too, were did you find them?
There's a polished set in the classified on here for sale also check your local Craigslist or eBay.

Edgar300 : what size tires were you using on the style 95's?
Old 10-18-12, 09:01 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even with 212K Miles.. a GS is a GS. Always classy, sporty and modern looking. Everyday i open my garage, i fall back in love with my GS(I drive it once every few weeks). Half of me says sell it, why let it garage? Other half says, too much hard work, sweat, blood, tears and dedication to part ways. Its paid off, 02 with low miles and tons and tons of modifications.

I thought i was going to have to sell it when i was in process of buying a brand new house, but i made it through that without having money issues
Old 10-18-12, 09:20 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The car looks great with the Style-95s! I'd fab up some centercaps however.
Old 10-18-12, 09:54 AM
Edgar300
Driver School Candidate

The front wheel on my 95's was warped so thats why I giot rid of them with the adapters. I think 20mm I bought off ebay.

It's not that I dont care about the car, im kinda bored with the car im the kind of guy that gets new cars every couple years but Im really thinking about keeping this one.

The wheels on the car now are some XXR's I got for cheaps from Sonic over in SoCal

I dont remember the size I was running on the 95's but it was annoying becuase I didnt realize how low the tire pressure was on one of them and I cut threw the tire driving home from work.

Thanks for the advice, one of the lights I know came on after my right lower ball joint decided to die got it fixed and the light never went away. Ill do some more research, I might clean it back up and fall in love with it again. If I get the lights on the dash fixed and get anew driver side seast (beige) the car would be mint.
Old 10-20-12, 03:59 PM
Edgar300
Driver School Candidate

Now with more dash lights on.

Did a some TLC to ride today cleaned up my headlights and installed a new steering wheel.

Probably going to get a quick release because the hub I got from NRG was too short but its still ok just to extend it.

One thing I did notice today after taking my battery off the hook an obviously connecting it back up my check engine light went away but the car was running kind of weird at start up. Its like the check engine light needs to be on so that the car runs good. Thinking about just biting the bullet and taking it to Lexus, I have a buddy that works there could probably help me out.

The other lights stayed on ABS VSC VSC OFF
Old 10-20-12, 04:33 PM
williepee
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that wheel looks like a pretty good match to the factory wood, what is it?

Quick Reply: GS300 (I love it and hate it)