GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY on Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 08:40 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default DIY on Exhaust?

Picking up Tanabe Hyper Super medallion exhaust this weekend for 2gs. Hope it sounds loud enough and no droning on the gs300.

Anything I should know in terms of install? Looked around forums for DIY and found nothing.
Old 10-16-12, 08:52 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Picking up Tanabe Hyper Super medallion exhaust this weekend for 2gs. Hope it sounds loud enough and no droning on the gs300.

Anything I should know in terms of install? Looked around forums for DIY and found nothing.
It's extremely straightforward. One thing I will say, if you don't already have one, grab a can of PB Blaster and soak the hell out of every nut and bolt and even the contact points in the rubber hangers 2 days before, again a day before, and again right before you go to do the work. Those mothers are not likely to come off easy, so go buy a a bunch of spares (2 at each muffler, 2 at each midpipe point = 8 each nuts and bolts). It's much easier than trying to reuse old hardware.

Obviously, remove mufflers first, then the midpipe. Get your midpipe set, if it hangs low you have it upside down. Start by tightening the bolts about 3/4 of the way there. Get it set in the rubber hangers and use that slack you left to adjust things and wiggle it into position. Once you have it set, crank em down, start her up, and take a video. It's really straightforward on the GS.
Old 10-16-12, 08:53 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

All you gotta do is unbolt the old mufflers and put on the new ones, lol. Might want some new exhaust gaskets though since you're taking them off to prevent an exhaust leak.
Old 10-16-12, 08:54 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

sounds good you both running the Tanabe's as well?

Where is the best place to pick up spare nuts and bolts? and Can you use stock hangers and gaskets?
Old 10-16-12, 09:03 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

sounds good you both running the Tanabe's as well?

Where is the best place to pick up spare nuts and bolts? and Can you use stock hangers and gaskets?
I had bought a Tanabe MT (but never installed) and installed L-tuned mufflers on my previous GS...I don't own one anymore

Honestly, you could get exhaust hardware just about anywhere...I'd just make sure the bolts are the right length. Once you get under there you'll see just how simple it actually is. I'd recommend getting new gaskets as well. Most autoparts stores would have near everything you'll need.
Old 10-16-12, 09:15 PM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bolts is a mother to get off.. If i was you two man job. lol real easy bro
Old 10-16-12, 09:23 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice. show pics when done.
Old 10-17-12, 04:32 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're buying Str8lucky's exhaust ....
Old 10-17-12, 05:20 AM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

^^^^^Smart man.. I want this set up..I heard some sound clips on youtube sounds really good. post pics when your done
Old 10-17-12, 09:06 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
Quote:

It's extremely straightforward. One thing I will say, if you don't already have one, grab a can of PB Blaster and soak the hell out of every nut and bolt and even the contact points in the rubber hangers 2 days before, again a day before, and again right before you go to do the work. Those mothers are not likely to come off easy, so go buy a a bunch of spares (2 at each muffler, 2 at each midpipe point = 8 each nuts and bolts). It's much easier than trying to reuse old hardware.

Obviously, remove mufflers first, then the midpipe. Get your midpipe set, if it hangs low you have it upside down. Start by tightening the bolts about 3/4 of the way there. Get it set in the rubber hangers and use that slack you left to adjust things and wiggle it into position. Once you have it set, crank em down, start her up, and take a video. It's really straightforward on the GS.
I agree with the PB Blaster. Very useful when I replaced all my exhaust gaskets. I had tried previously before that attempt with NO PB Blaster and it was very difficult. Good luck though with the new upgrade on the exhaust. Hope you like it

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-17-12, 09:19 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hollywoood
bolts is a mother to get off.. If i was you two man job. lol real easy bro
my GS was an 01 and I had the L-tuned mufflers put on in 08...the 7 year old bolts were toast from new england weather, the shop actually had to torch them off.
Old 10-17-12, 10:52 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Lotz of good adivce here. Definitely stock up on new nuts and bolts, and gaskets beforehand. New hangers might not be a bad idea either.

When I did my topspeed install I had to have the muffler shop torch off the the bolts at the cats. They put temp nuts and bolts to keep it from dropping while driving back home to do the install. Sounded beastly!! My Y pipe had a nasty exhaust leak. I dropped the whole exahust as one piece.

Definitely install piece by piece. I too intially installed the mid pipe upside down. 3/4 tighten everything once mounted. Check fit, tighten, and you're good to go!!

EDIT: My stock exhaust was so old and rusted, that even PB didn't help. YMMV

Last edited by Blanco; 10-17-12 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-20-12, 11:27 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

grabbed exhaust today. called around and shops want 7-10 bucks for EACH bolt and around 10 bucks for gaskets (need 3)

is this about the price? seems hefty for some bolts or can I reuse OEM's?
Old 10-21-12, 01:05 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I'd re use the bolts for that price.. but new gaskets are pretty critical.
Old 10-21-12, 09:13 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grabbed exhaust today. called around and shops want 7-10 bucks for EACH bolt and around 10 bucks for gaskets (need 3)

is this about the price? seems hefty for some bolts or can I reuse OEM's?
If you get the specs for the size bolts you need, you could just run down to the hardware store and pick up bolts and nuts from there. Just make sure their the right ones and can withstand heat.

Quick Reply: DIY on Exhaust?