GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Muscle show = no love

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 06:26 AM
themccoy14
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muscle show = no love

Here in Springfield there isn't really a VIP scene at all. I went out to the Spooky Moon show/cruise with a few friends and their muscle car club. About 400 cars and I was the only non-domestic vehicle there. As I was leaving I saw a family about 20 feet behind me and the mom was cracking up laughing so hard she was crying. Her kids were clearly confused asking their mom why she was laughing. She points at my car and I see her mouth " the wheels are outside the fenders!". Clearly not my scene but there were some amazing cars. Unfortunately during one of the burnouts that a woman in a Chevelle was doing she lost control and t-boned my friend in what can only be described as one of the cleanest Camaro's I've ever seen; LS1 swap, complete resto-mod build (I think it was a '69). Totaled the car and he left with the "worst luck" award. If I can find a picture of the aftermath of the Camaro accident I'll post it up. The show was put on in a town called Everton north of Springfield and when I asked a local what there was to do in town he responded with "church". There was literally a neighborhood, a church, and a bar in the town and that was it. Just thought I would share... There should be pics up soon of all the cars on this site: http://www.spookymoonhotrodfunrun.com/
Old 10-08-12, 07:06 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Different strokes for different folks.
Most muscle car guys are building/restoring cars they saw in their younger years. Most of those cars are the ones they always wanted, but life often gets in the way. They were in plenty supply & easy to modify. A Q-Jet sounds like a foreign word to today's generation of tuners.
Many of today's are similar.........modern cars for their own age & in plenty supply. Computers can modify & parts are relatively cheap. As in years ago, there are always the posers. Only real proof in the pudding is a verified time-slip.
Burn-outs & quarter mile runs belong at the track & only at the track. I have 3 children & my wife running the roads just getting around. Everyone here has family on the roads too. Too many needless accidents with drivers pretending to be pro's when they really cannot handle the car or the car can't handle what it's being asked to do. Take it to the track!
My old Buick is restored to exact factory specs.. No hot-rod/go fast parts at all.........none.
I can do a burn-out 100 yards long should I choose but gets very expensive on tires. I can always get it to bark the rear tires on the 1-2 shift should I choose. That's driving like I was a teenager. I honestly drive it like granny. It's about 3900lbs. with me in it.
Wicked fast in a straight line & has some real character unlike today's cookie cutter cars.
That said, even with power disc brakes up front & HD front & rear swaybars it doesn't stop or turn in a hurry.
1960's technology,no more.
Old 10-08-12, 07:41 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came to the Lexus scene from owning 2 Pontiac GTO's 2004 & 2006. Muscle car/ domestic car guys do not understand the import scene. Power vs. appearance style modifications are more so on the the list so the VIP scene is nowhere near the realm of their understanding.

While I brought the GS to have a four door cruiser with some style, I really not into the VIP scene but understand the passion behind doing it. In my 30's now and married so low and slow is kinda on the back burner to comfort and daily driveability. I will eventually swap a 2JZ into it though.
Old 10-10-12, 02:59 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Can you explain please what VIP stands for?
Old 10-10-12, 03:14 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Very Intriguing Panels
Old 10-10-12, 04:58 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

on the flip side... if a muscle car, rat rod, hot rod... and so on rolled up on a lexus meet... i'm sure we'd all have some level of appreciation for it.
Old 10-10-12, 05:15 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Rule of thumb... Haters gunna hate
Old 10-10-12, 05:26 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

The talent out there today is phenominal !
Wrenching on a project still peels a few knuckles, gets the other half upset for spending too much time with the other "girl" in the garage, gets people in trouble for trying the dishwasher to clean parts, drains the budget a bit too often.....etc..
The cars, technology and tastes have changed yes, but same old principles still apply.
Old 10-10-12, 06:33 PM
erknjerk78
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
on the flip side... if a muscle car, rat rod, hot rod... and so on rolled up on a lexus meet... i'm sure we'd all have some level of appreciation for it.
I concur! Like SteveCraig, I own an old school as well. A pretty little kitty...1970 Mercury Cougar XR7 Convertible. It has a 351 Windsor, but it's about to become a 351 Clevor (Windsor with Cleveland heads). Anyhow, I grew up on classic cars, but I can appreciate all types of cars (obviously).
Old 10-10-12, 07:59 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Man, I live in Charlotte, NC the Home of NASCAR. I rarely see a Lexus with any mods whatsoever much less a VIP scene.
Old 10-11-12, 05:37 AM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a muscle car show every week about 3 blocks from my house and I own 2 imports a GS and Nissan S14 and yeah my cars wont every pull into the lot when that is on.... Just makes sense!
Old 10-11-12, 05:49 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Can you explain please what VIP stands for?
Visually Impaired People
Old 10-11-12, 06:02 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would probably shake my head if I saw a VIP GS as well. I guess it's just not my thing. Obviously to each his own, though.

I see the GS as a Sports Sedan. All it really needs is a small drop and less conservative wheel fitment to look really impressive. It seems like when you go VIP you lose all of the sport function that the GS was originally designed for.
Old 10-11-12, 06:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

As mentioned, those guys are less about show and more about go...

they usually still don't understand the 400, 500, or 600 whp turbo small motor car, but they have more respect for those than they do a car that is all show and no go, as the typical VIP car adheres to... sure, some are fast, but they give up handling and acceleration by running stretched tires and crazy amounts of camber...

VIP in a sense has become the new "ricer" IMO, looks fast, isn't...
Old 10-11-12, 09:31 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
I would probably shake my head if I saw a VIP GS as well. I guess it's just not my thing. Obviously to each his own, though.

I see the GS as a Sports Sedan. All it really needs is a small drop and less conservative wheel fitment to look really impressive. It seems like when you go VIP you lose all of the sport function that the GS was originally designed for.
Originally Posted by mitsuguy
VIP in a sense has become the new "ricer" IMO, looks fast, isn't...
Agreed 100%. I love the look of a Lexus with a modest drop and tasteful wheels with just the right off-set wheels. But as far is VIP goes... Very Immature Person

Quick Reply: Muscle show = no love