GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wow, stock wheels and tires are a hell of a lot lighter than I thought

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 04:06 PM
TNH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow, stock wheels and tires are a hell of a lot lighter than I thought

I recently had a tire blow out on my 20" wheels. I removed it and as I was carrying the stock wheel and tire over to the car, I noticed how light it felt. I installed it and went home.
When I got back, I weighed the 20" wheel and it came out to 58lbs with the tire.
I did the same thing with another stock wheel and tire and it came out to 39lbs.
That is a hell of a big difference, and I'm sure my rear 20's that are much wider with a bigger tire are even heavier.
I have an Aristo swap and remember the day I put the 20's all the way around, the car was a bit more sluggish than with the stockers but I didn't really care because it looked so good with them.

I have four 18x8 +38 Work VS-KF's in my back room, I didn't weigh them because they don't have tires, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison....but they felt a lot lighter too. I am going to mount a tire soon and weigh them, I bet its a bit heavier than stock but will still be MUCH lighter than the 20's.

Since the Aristo is my DD, I am considering putting the 18" Works on there instead of the iForged 20's.
The good reasons for swapping:
1)lighter weight - more performance for the 2jz-gte, better fuel economy
2)more sidewall - better protection against bending wheels. I have had light bends that were cosmetic only, and on the inside lip of the barrel. I suspect part of the reason for my recent blow out was a slight leak leading to low pressure, a bad combo on rough roads with a 30 series sidewall.
3)non staggered - I can get a lot of rotation out of the 18's for longer tire life.
4)cheaper in longrun - tires are cheaper, will last longer because of rotating, less chance of having to replace tires (low profile tires seem to be more fragile IME), less chance of having to replace/repair wheels because of bigger sidewall.
5)exact same overall diameter as stock - accurate speedo

The bad:
1)The 20's fill in the wheel well better and just look cooler.
2)staggered look gives nice lip in the rear and looks good overall.
3)wider tires look better from rear (275 vs 245 that is going on 18's)

More pros than cons, but I do put a lot of importance on looks, giving the 20's a little edge even though there are more negative aspects to running them.
Since the car is a daily, I think the 18's are a far more practical choice though, I will enjoy driving the car more than with the 20's, it just won't look as aggressive.

I'm pretty sure what I will be doing, but I am curious what others would do. If you had an Aristo swapped daily driver, would you go with the practical and more inexpensive (long term) and better performing 18's or make the sacrifice to DD on rubber band 20's because it looks so much better?
Old 09-23-12, 04:45 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this thread I started last year.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...of-wheels.html

As far as your stock wheel/tire weighing 39lbs?
Not sure how that is possible. I weighed my full size spare (oem from factory) which was never used. Weighed in at 51lbs. My 20x8.5 with tires weighed in at 55lbs.
Old 09-23-12, 05:09 PM
TNH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LALEX1

As far as your stock wheel/tire weighing 39lbs?
Not sure how that is possible..
That's a useful list, thanks.
My model iForged(Trial) isn't on there, but other sites showed the weight of the 19" version to be 27lbs without a tire.... pretty heavy. Many of the iForged wheels on that weight list were around 24lbs.

The factory wheel I weighed is 16x7.5 and painted silver, so I can see it being very light weight compared to a 3 piece 20" wheel. When my mechanic and I were swapping out the stock wheels for the 20's, he made a comment about how light the stock Lexus wheels were. They seriously feel like my 15" miata wheels, which are known for their light weight.

Maybe the scale is off, but even if that was the case it shows a major difference in weight between the 20's and the stocker.
Old 09-23-12, 05:28 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd take the spare set of KF's off your hands for my other project..
Old 09-24-12, 12:42 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

yea I weighed my stock 17x8 chrome 5 spokes and they were 50 pounds, haven't had the chance to weigh my 20s
Old 09-24-12, 03:50 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I had 20's before the stock 17's,they sure look nice but felt like crap and went through tires faster. They also put a beating on the suspension. To each his own i guess, seems like the younger gen is riding higher those 20's oh well.
Old 09-24-12, 09:31 AM
TNH
Pole Position

It looks like I'll be going with the 18's. They are getting dropped off this week to be completely refinished and wrapped in new tires. I own three Toyotas, so the other wheels won't go to waste, I can always swap them out occasionally or swap them to another car now and then.

I have been enjoying the way the car drives with the stock wheels on it, so much more acceleration, so much less worry going over bumps, into driveways, hitting potholes, etc. Perfect for a daily.
I'll save the 20's for shows or certain cruises on the Aristo or the Supra.
Old 09-24-12, 03:42 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I started a thread like this a long time ago. Yeah, my stock 16" wheels and tires weighed in around 48lbs, my rear 275's (19") weigh 61lbs; and if you could be live it they are forged! Really heavy for forged wheels but strong, hit some pretty crazy potholes and never any dents. I could probably save some 13lbs of rotational unsprung weight per corner! I think that's equal to something like 160lbs of static weight. The Forgestar wheels are VERY light but i'm not crazy about the style. I think they weigh in around 21lbs for 19x10's! Throw a lightweight grippy tire like the PS2 or T1R that weigh 24lbs and you got a 45lbs setup for the rear and probably a 43lbs setup for the front. The car would definitely perform better and be noticibly quicker!
Old 09-24-12, 04:48 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I started a thread like this a long time ago. Yeah, my stock 16" wheels and tires weighed in around 48lbs, my rear 275's (19") weigh 61lbs; and if you could be live it they are forged! Really heavy for forged wheels but strong, hit some pretty crazy potholes and never any dents. I could probably save some 13lbs of rotational unsprung weight per corner! I think that's equal to something like 160lbs of static weight. The Forgestar wheels are VERY light but i'm not crazy about the style. I think they weigh in around 21lbs for 19x10's! Throw a lightweight grippy tire like the PS2 or T1R that weigh 24lbs and you got a 45lbs setup for the rear and probably a 43lbs setup for the front. The car would definitely perform better and be noticibly quicker!
I have always wanted to get some Enkei 18s at around 20lbs per wheel. I have stock 17s right now, I believe they weight about 25 pounds per. I would be interested to see if I could feel a difference in quickness by taking off 5lbs per corner.
Old 09-24-12, 09:00 PM
Sykotic336
Driver

sacrifices must be made!!! go big or go home! i would do the 18x8 works...

i know kinna off topic but why did you get 18x10? lol you would kinna have best of both worlds