GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Creaking/Popping Noise.. Good ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 02:52 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
See pics, Moog LBJ are so much beefier than stock. A degree or 2 difference can throw things off.
I am well aware of how an alignment is done. It may be required going from oem to Moog. I noticed when I hooked the old tierod back on the steering wheel was not in the same place. After it was hooked up I could not twist the tierod back and forth like before. I bought new tierods and my mechanic will just throw them on for free when he does the alignment.

FYI, My mechanic is a 20 yr master tech and scored at the top in certification tests in the country, so I'll take his word for it
Great choice in brand. No I'm well aware you need to have the alignment done. Re-read my initial response. We are on the same page.
Old 09-24-12, 07:23 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by VINCE9164
Are you serious? I just purchased a set yesterday.. hopefully that isn't the issue in your case. Give us a update.
Originally Posted by JLAWS
I just changed out my ball joints myself to Moog and now it is making a creak/popping sound. I did thoroughly grease the ball joints I couldn't twist off and change the tierod so I am getting them done tomorrow. My mechanic told me even just changing the ball joints only will throw things out of alignment since they are not oem ball joints.. So I am hoping an alignment will fix the noise.
Update: Just got my car back from an alignment with Moog new tierods installed. The creaking and popping noise is gone!! The car steering is stiffer and wandering is less over uneven roads. Happy with the investment.
Old 09-25-12, 01:46 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Ummm sir, I do know that the alignment is still needed. Did you not read my response to his statement based on what the mechanic stated. His initial statement implied that since the Moog lbj wasn't OEM, he needed an alignment (which is true) and if he had OEM, he didn't need to do the alignment. Basically what I was stating was that you will need an alignment done regardless of if it's oem or not.
My apologies, I misread your post.
BayArea
Old 09-25-12, 05:58 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue and it was the sway bar. Well for my car atleast. Thought it was the ball joint or axle but I remembered since I switched from bags to coils, I had to remove the linkage. I unbolt it, align it, and tightened it back up and no more noise. Again, it worked for my car. Since you checked everything, it could possibly be the sway bar. Keep us updated.
Old 09-25-12, 07:42 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
I had the same issue and it was the sway bar. Well for my car atleast. Thought it was the ball joint or axle but I remembered since I switched from bags to coils, I had to remove the linkage. I unbolt it, align it, and tightened it back up and no more noise. Again, it worked for my car. Since you checked everything, it could possibly be the sway bar. Keep us updated.
I really hope it is the sway bars, it's going in this Monday again to get done, I will def keep u guys posted, I'm not stopping until it is resolved...
Old 09-26-12, 06:06 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sLOWaristo
Oh and I dunno how similar it is to nissans but replacing those was a breeze, just rent a ball joint separator from autozone and it's a snap.
On Nissan's they are very different. Nissan presses their ball joints into the control arm. With that setup, the ball joint lasts for miles and miles. Unlike our cars that has a ball joint that aren't pressed into anything. Rather they are just a standalone which are common on cars with a double wishbone suspension. I personally feel that you are fine with OEM or Moog either way because I don't think its the manufacturer of this part that is the problem. It's just a design flaw
Old 09-26-12, 10:26 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by repugnante
On Nissan's they are very different. Nissan presses their ball joints into the control arm. With that setup, the ball joint lasts for miles and miles. Unlike our cars that has a ball joint that aren't pressed into anything. Rather they are just a standalone which are common on cars with a double wishbone suspension. I personally feel that you are fine with OEM or Moog either way because I don't think its the manufacturer of this part that is the problem. It's just a design flaw
Very, very true. My lbj's on my Q45 were built like a tank and I didn't replace them until close to 200k. They cost more ($200/per), but you definitely got your money's worth. I'm glad that I did replace mine because once I took them off, they were able to turn like a joystick.
Old 09-26-12, 11:39 AM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a thread jack but is MOOG preferred over OEM or what? Curious since people seem to be talking about both....
Old 09-26-12, 12:31 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by hobojoe
Not a thread jack but is MOOG preferred over OEM or what? Curious since people seem to be talking about both....
You will get different answers for this, but I like MOOG over the oem design. It's more "beefy" and you can get a pair of Moog lbj's and tie rods for the same price of oem lbj's. Easy decision for me. Oh and they have zerk fittings.
Old 09-26-12, 11:06 PM
Boston35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I may have the same noise as you. Was this what it sounded like?

View My Video
Old 10-02-12, 12:33 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

****************UPDATE******************

Just got the car back from the mechanic and he changed my sway bars, I can def notice a difference in the popping noise, it's still their but very faint, so I'm not changing my lbj for about 2 more months when funds are up their more, it really did help with the new sways, an I got my serpentine belt replaced, she's whisper quiet now, so overall I'm pretty happy... TBC
Old 10-02-12, 07:47 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear the sway helped a tad. Since you've checked everything in the suspension, just thought I'd ask if your mechanic checked the axle by chance. This whole threads talks about lbj, sways, tie rods, and etc but the axle never popped up. Just thought I'd throw that in. Nothing hurts to have it checked.
Old 10-02-12, 08:46 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
Glad to hear the sway helped a tad. Since you've checked everything in the suspension, just thought I'd ask if your mechanic checked the axle by chance. This whole threads talks about lbj, sways, tie rods, and etc but the axle never popped up. Just thought I'd throw that in. Nothing hurts to have it checked.
Never thought of that, I will def have it checked out