GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone in North DFW that can help replace front Bushings inner tie rods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 06:51 PM
B4TM4N
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone in North DFW that can help replace front Bushings inner tie rods?

Is there anyone that could help me replace the bushings on the front end of my '99 GS300. I'm thinking about doing the LBJ's as well after reading all the threads. The only/main part that I know I can't do is the pressing of the bushings.

Let me know, I'd like to have it done before Monday. I'm willing to pay as long as its not dealer pricing.
Thanks
Old 09-07-12, 07:47 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure you need your inner tie rods? Or do you mean outer tie rods and LBJ's? Inner tie rods are really hard to do.

It's really simple for outers and LBJ's though... You can easily do it yourself.

Buy some Moog LBJ & Outer Tie Rod from RockAuto, then hit up JP Importz if you really don't wanna do it yourself.
Old 09-08-12, 07:05 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

I'm not positive about the inner tie rods since they don't move when i try moving them. The outer tie rods are already replaced with some Moogs....... I know for sure I need the caster arm bushings replaced because they look and feel torn.

I was only going to do the inner tie rods as maintenance because I want to keep this car till atleast 200k without having to worry about it later.

Heres a picture of the lower ball joints.... Do these look OEM? They have a grease nozzle fitting which I didnt think came on stock ball joints.
Old 09-08-12, 08:20 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3

Buy some Moog LBJ & Outer Tie Rod from RockAuto, then hit up JP Importz if you really don't wanna do it yourself.

I sent a txt message to the number on the JP Importz website and this is how the conversation went.

ME: Do yall have access to a press to push out the old bushing in a Control arm and press in a new one? I don't want to replace the whole control arm. Its a '99 GS300. Thanks

JPImportz: you mean strut rods?

Me: No, its the caster arm/lower control arm ( front end of car). (Attached picture of caster arm)
JPimportz: That is the strut rod bushings. i would strong suggest that you replace the whole arm. Those bushings will wear out after a year.
We have done plenty of them

ME: Oh I see, how much is labor to remove and replace them if I bring in new arms.

JPImportz: $245

etc etc..

So I'm confused, what is the difference between replacing only the bushing versus the whole arm. What difference does it make if the Arm is new?

Old 09-08-12, 10:12 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

None just shops don't want to press out the old and push in the new I guess. You can do it yourself. There's DIY somewhere I believe.
Old 09-08-12, 10:57 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lbjs in that pic you posted are moogs. The grease fitting is aftermarket. I've got a pair of moogs waiting to be installed.

I'm in the middle of pressing my rear axle carrier bushings. Did driver side the other night. My first time ever doing bushing swaps. Will do the passenger side very soon. Good news is, my squeak from the rear is gone.

I don't recall seeing a press at Jason's shop. He did my trailing LCAs a couple of years ago. He told me that no one he knew of at the time made just the bushings for those arms.

Honestly for the price, I'd just buy whole new arms. They'd be MUCH easier than pressing bushings. There are 2 part # and prices at sewellonline. The most expensive is $150.

BTW: I could help you do them, but just not tomorrow. If you wanted to plan a time a few days out lemme know.

Last edited by Blanco; 09-08-12 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-09-12, 10:20 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Pressing them in is the easy part. Getting them out is where it's a big hassle. I usually use a combination of 3 tools to get the old bushings and sleeves out. A big hammer, chisel, and also an air chisel helps big time. Still, it's not an easy task even with the proper tools. The way Toyota designed the arms, they were not meant to be re-bushed. They wanted you to pay the extra price to buy whole new arms. As long as the old arms are not bent from a wreck or something, there really is no reason to replace them. You can get bushing replacements on ebay from ROCA for like $60 per side for a total of 4 bushings. Both lower control arms and both caster arms.
Old 09-10-12, 04:31 AM
B4TM4N
Driver

How often should these be filled with grease?
Old 09-10-12, 01:56 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
You sure you need your inner tie rods? Or do you mean outer tie rods and LBJ's? Inner tie rods are really hard to do.
They are not hard to do at all and take just a little longer then the outers if you have the right tool.