GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Window would go down but not up. FINALLY FIXED (for now at least...)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 09:09 PM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window would go down but not up. FINALLY FIXED (for now at least...)!!!

Hey Guys,

If you clicked the thread you already know what the symptoms are, but for those who don't know or this hasn't happen to you (YET), here's how it all plays out (at least for me). If you're impatient and just want to see what's worked for me so far, I highlighted it below in green.

1.) I opened my passenger window one day as I have done many days before it. When I went to close it it didn't move. I clicked the up button a couple of times and it went right back up. Whew must have just been a glich.

2.) Time passes and crap it happens again, but this time it doesn't go back up (twss). You try every imaginable combination of up/down/all up/all down imaginable until FINALLY it goes back up. You try to remember what the magic combination was but you forget in the flurry of button mashing.

3.) Not wanting to get stuck again, I click the lock window button on the master switch and pull up google and type in "gs300 window motor". Several hours of online searching later I'm baffled; there's no clear cut answer on the cause of the problem. I've found everything from ehow.com, yahoo answers, even clublexus. Sure I found plenty of suggestions (many from actual lexus/toyota techs), but after trying every single one of them my window still didn't work right. Here's a list of things i've tried from the recommendations online:

- Grease the window rails (Didn't have high hopes for this one, so wasn't surprised when this didn't work)
- Reset windows (Hold down for several seconds after fully open, then up for several seconds after fully closed. good thing I didn't hold my breathe)
- Replace driver side front master switch (switched out with a known working unit, no dice)
- Replace passenger side front window switch (switched out with known working switch, again no dice)
- Replace window actuator motor (I was very hopeful for this one, but nope still acted up)

4.) With everything apart and back ups of everything I took apart (thanks to an incredibly lucky junk yard run), I was determined to figure this out. I literally replaced almost every item on that front passenger door; everything except for the little black box labeled "MPX DOOR". I had suspected it to be the culprit before, but I didn't want to shell out $300 to find out it doesn't do anything, and it wasn't exactly easy finding a buddy who could let me borrow theirs. However on the previously mentioned junk yard run, I was able to pull one off a scrapped GS for $20.

5.) Popped the door off, unplugged the old MPX DOOR ecu (part number: 89223-30020), and plugged in the spare. PLEASE work...The first thing I noticed was the window motor was much more responsive. OK good sign, but could just be one of those good days where it decides to work when you're the only person in the car and its a perfect day outside. Several minutes later of up/down abuse I was shocked. It didn't pause/hesitate a single time. Even with every combination of up/down/all up/all down. Holy *****.

I usually don't post long winded diys or how tos, but this has been the end of an extremely long journey. I just wanted everything to work on my car, and this was the final piece of the puzzle. I know there's plenty of other GS owners out there having the same problem, so hopefully someone else can confirm that this actually works.

Every chance I get now I'm opening and closing that window. If it decides to stop working at anytime i'll be sure to update this thread but so far so good.

Again if someone else could confirm that this worked for them that would be great. Its reward enough to have everything working again, but it would be the icing on the cake if this helped out another member. Happy fixing!

Ryan

Last edited by wheelwh0re; 08-18-12 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ajchan (05-01-22)
Old 08-18-12, 09:48 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing!! I suspect if this hasnt helped someone yet, it certainly will in the future.
Old 08-18-12, 10:17 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ohhhh hell yes!!!!! Thank u
Old 08-20-12, 08:23 AM
LowGS3OO
Rookie

I had the same issue and a local auto glass company changed my window motor and the window worked fine for about a month. Just yesterday I went to put my window back up and it did not come back up for several hours. I called the shop and they told me it might be the switch that went bad this time.
Old 08-20-12, 01:03 PM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Originally Posted by LowGS3OO
I had the same issue and a local auto glass company changed my window motor and the window worked fine for about a month. Just yesterday I went to put my window back up and it did not come back up for several hours. I called the shop and they told me it might be the switch that went bad this time.
From all of my online searching, I haven't found one person that said "yup it was the door switch". I questioned peoples thinking on the door switch solution because:

- Most ppl blamed the master switch. However if your other windows work, chances are its not this. I confirmed this reasoning with a lexus master tech, but just to make sure I swapped mine for a working one and I still experienced the same issue.

- If the window stops working only when you use the door switch, but works with the master switch then yes it could definitely be just the window switch. This wasn't the case for me and I didn't find a single person who had this happen.

If I were you I would get a buddy who's window works for sure and borrow his MPX door controller. Its easy to get to once you have the door panel off and just swap the units. Test it out to see if it continues to give you the same problem. Report back with what you find either way!

Quick update on my part but my window is still working like a champ .
Old 08-20-12, 11:55 PM
JayNunu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same intermittent issue. Pass front window goes down, doesn't like to always go up. But I also have a door lock issue in that door as well, don't know if it is related but I'm sure gonna try to find the magic MPX DOOR box and see if it helps. Thanks!
Old 08-21-12, 02:41 AM
CodPiece
Rookie

Just to confirm, was your issue with the window not going up at all or was it the auto-up function not working?

My driver side window will go up fine but not automatically like it should. It even goes down automatically. What's the deal with that?
Old 08-21-12, 05:11 AM
LowGS3OO
Rookie

Originally Posted by wheelwh0re
From all of my online searching, I haven't found one person that said "yup it was the door switch". I questioned peoples thinking on the door switch solution because:

- Most ppl blamed the master switch. However if your other windows work, chances are its not this. I confirmed this reasoning with a lexus master tech, but just to make sure I swapped mine for a working one and I still experienced the same issue.

- If the window stops working only when you use the door switch, but works with the master switch then yes it could definitely be just the window switch. This wasn't the case for me and I didn't find a single person who had this happen.

If I were you I would get a buddy who's window works for sure and borrow his MPX door controller. Its easy to get to once you have the door panel off and just swap the units. Test it out to see if it continues to give you the same problem. Report back with what you find either way!

Quick update on my part but my window is still working like a champ .
The guy who was working on my car has had his own auto glass business for 15 years so I just follow what he says lol. He told me to take it in to see if he can clean up the switch for me and see if that would fix it. Hopefully it does but I dont want this to just be a temporary fix.

But yeah my motor is brand new so it cant be anything else then the switch? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go take my car in.
Old 08-21-12, 09:47 AM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Jay: The door lock is a separate issue, the door lock actuator design in our cars tends to fail frequently enough for us to have a sticky on how to repair them.

Cod: My window would definitely go back up, but sometimes it would take over 30 minutes of clicking the up button and trying various rain dances to get it to work again. When it would work, the switch functioned as normal (auto up, auto down, up, and down all worked). In your case it only seems as if your auto up function doesn't work, which means it can definitely just be the switch. Hopefully its not the MPX door controller starting to give out, but there's only one way to find out, good luck!

Low: Easiest way to tell is to pop out the switch from the other side of the car and test it on the door that isn't working. Assuming the other side you're using to test is known to be working, that will tell you instantly if its the switch or not. If it doesn't fix your problem check the MPX. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
wfpfeif (05-07-18)
Old 08-21-12, 12:23 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wheel*****, thanks for sharing your issues and solutions...that's why I love this forum!!
Old 08-21-12, 12:57 PM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Originally Posted by PHML
wheel*****, thanks for sharing your issues and solutions...that's why I love this forum!!
My pleasure, I'm just excited to finally be able to contribute something I felt was worthwhile. I just need someone else to confirm!
Old 08-21-12, 01:36 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a quick tip to add here:

If you suspect the black box, just swap one from another door before buying a new box. It's right there, just give it a shot with another one to be sure if this is your problem. They work in other locations.
Old 08-31-12, 07:24 PM
TheMirror
Driver School Candidate

I have this problem, but it's with the driver's side front window. Does this MPX box reside in one place only or is it a component in all four doors?
Old 09-04-12, 11:57 AM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheMirror
I have this problem, but it's with the driver's side front window. Does this MPX box reside in one place only or is it a component in all four doors?
Originally Posted by CleanSC
Just a quick tip to add here:

If you suspect the black box, just swap one from another door before buying a new box. It's right there, just give it a shot with another one to be sure if this is your problem. They work in other locations.
This was answered in the post right above yours.
Old 10-23-12, 07:28 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

I want to personally Thank You and CL! I am having this same exact issue! Exact!

I'm going to test this out and hopefully it resolves my issue too!

Quick Reply: Window would go down but not up. FINALLY FIXED (for now at least...)!!!