GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anyone have voltage problems with audio systems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 06:57 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have voltage problems with audio systems?

the electrical problems arent really big- i just get VERY heavy dimming even though my voltage is doing well. and ive never really been able to figure out why. any ideas or anyone with similar problems?

equipment running:

total wattsunder 2,000 RMS
270 high output amp
kinetik 2400 (1 battery for the entire car)
Old 08-17-12, 12:46 AM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

how big is you power cables?? did you upgrade the grounds?? at 2000 rms you would need another battery. 2000 peak you wouldnt need to..
Old 08-17-12, 02:39 AM
CodPiece
Rookie

Install a Capacitor?

I've got one running my two amps, even though I might not have needed it. Looks cool too.
Old 08-17-12, 02:53 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of amp you running
Old 08-17-12, 10:02 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

You should use at least 4 gauge wires for power and ground. Also, if it only happens when u blast it high, your amp is sucking the juice. You need a capacitor
Old 08-17-12, 11:06 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What's your voltage dropping to? Iirc you've upgraded the wires under the hood so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm running more power than you with stock electrical, I've got hids so the headlights don't dim but I'll get some minor dimming of dash lights once in a while. When I've checked it my voltage drops to the 13 range under heavy load.
Old 08-17-12, 01:36 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

capacitor just puts more stress on your alternator, put it away and just stick to your big 3 wire upgrade. Make sure its 0 gauge
Old 08-17-12, 02:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AYEmike
capacitor just puts more stress on your alternator, put it away and just stick to your big 3 wire upgrade. Make sure its 0 gauge
Just 0 wire cables only didnt work for me.
Old 08-17-12, 03:36 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A capacitor can help stop the symptom, but is just adding more load to the in-car electrical system. A second battery just for the stereo charging through an isolator is the best way to do it. As the isolator removes the draw from the cars battery and electrical system, and gives an aux battery that is just for the amps. Amp no longer will kill your start battery when playing the stereo with the engine off, and no more issues with the amps stealing power from other components in the car..
Old 08-17-12, 09:21 PM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

yup a 1 farad cap can only support about 400 watts. so you would need about 5 caps.. they are just tiny batteries.. i would run another battery..
Old 08-17-12, 09:27 PM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
A capacitor can help stop the symptom, but is just adding more load to the in-car electrical system. A second battery just for the stereo charging through an isolator is the best way to do it. As the isolator removes the draw from the cars battery and electrical system, and gives an aux battery that is just for the amps. Amp no longer will kill your start battery when playing the stereo with the engine off, and no more issues with the amps stealing power from other components in the car..
you can run a second battery with out the isolator...as long as it the same battery.. i had 4 optima batteries for 8 years in my civic when i did sound compitions with the stock alternator.. I have 5 svr batteries in my GS for 4 years with the stock alternator..battery isolaters are used when you have different size or brands of batteries..
Old 08-17-12, 10:03 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

THANK YOU! Capacitors only put a bandaid on an open wound! and cause more problems.

The CHEAPEST thing to do is to add second battery with isolator as mentioned, but that too only hides the symptoms. Yea the dimming will go away, but with all the probably cheap power from the amp, the rear battery is just gonna stay empty and system will still run off the alternator and destroy it. The PROPER t hing to do is get a larger alternator.

As already asked, what amp are you using? I ran just under 3000 watts of REAL power (JL Audio) and 2 compressors for air ride (equivalent to another 800watt amp) and NEVER had a dimming problem. But because of the design of a GOOD amp can practically power itself, it did no harm to the stock electrical system. I did a write up on "The Big Three" look for it, thats where you need to start, its costly, but helps a lot.
Old 08-17-12, 10:07 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyGs3
you can run a second battery with out the isolator...as long as it the same battery.. i had 4 optima batteries for 8 years in my civic when i did sound compitions with the stock alternator.. I have 5 svr batteries in my GS for 4 years with the stock alternator..battery isolaters are used when you have different size or brands of batteries..
Absolutely, you can most defiantly run multiple batteries without an isolator no problem, like you mention they should be of same specs and preferably the same age. Competitions are one thing with 5 batteries, I would recommend an isolator for a daily/street type car because they are cheap and will eliminate the possiblity of playing the stereo from killing the start battery and you can mix and match batteries at any time..

Either way an additional battery can greatly improve stereo performance, the op has an uprated alternator already, but otherwise other people should keep in mind adding either a battery or capacitor it's all still more load for the car to charge so alternator performance is always still important.
Old 08-17-12, 10:11 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by krazyGs3
^^ Good info
Old 08-18-12, 06:26 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Man just noticed it was you Rob! Are you asking yet AGAIN?! Isnt this like your 4th thread on this

Quick Reply: anyone have voltage problems with audio systems?