GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anyone have voltage problems with audio systems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 07:14 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
THANK YOU! Capacitors only put a bandaid on an open wound! and cause more problems.

The CHEAPEST thing to do is to add second battery with isolator as mentioned, but that too only hides the symptoms. Yea the dimming will go away, but with all the probably cheap power from the amp, the rear battery is just gonna stay empty and system will still run off the alternator and destroy it. The PROPER t hing to do is get a larger alternator.

As already asked, what amp are you using? I ran just under 3000 watts of REAL power (JL Audio) and 2 compressors for air ride (equivalent to another 800watt amp) and NEVER had a dimming problem. But because of the design of a GOOD amp can practically power itself, it did no harm to the stock electrical system. I did a write up on "The Big Three" look for it, thats where you need to start, its costly, but helps a lot.
Correct on the stiffening capacitor thing. I did a big writeup on here about that years back but the search didn't turn it up. The analysis never includes the fact that for the cap to be of any use, the alternator needs to dump just as much energy BACK INTO IT, before the next cycle of the bass wave.
Old 08-18-12, 07:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

^^ Yes, "cycle" is the key word in the power feeding concept.
Old 08-19-12, 01:53 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krazyGs3
how big is you power cables?? did you upgrade the grounds?? at 2000 rms you would need another battery. 2000 peak you wouldnt need to..
0 gauge . big 3 done with 0 gauge as well. and yes 2000 watts rms.

i ask cus everyone on car audio forums says 2k off stock electrical should be done pretty easy. but i got h/o alt and a good sized battery and still drops hard. so i figured id ask people with my exact car to try and get to the bottom of it.

Originally Posted by CodPiece
Install a Capacitor?

I've got one running my two amps, even though I might not have needed it. Looks cool too.
i do have a cap. =/
i dont really count on it to do anything, but none the less, its there. 2 farads

Originally Posted by AYEmike
what kind of amp you running
Sundown Audio. 1500 watts rms. (might be pulling a bit more)
and arc audio for highs.

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
You should use at least 4 gauge wires for power and ground. Also, if it only happens when u blast it high, your amp is sucking the juice. You need a capacitor
i have 0 gauge on the mono amp.
and 4 gauge on the four channel.
i do have a cap. and it hasnt done **** til now. lol. before h/o alt and battery and after- hasnt really done ****.

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
What's your voltage dropping to? Iirc you've upgraded the wires under the hood so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm running more power than you with stock electrical, I've got hids so the headlights don't dim but I'll get some minor dimming of dash lights once in a while. When I've checked it my voltage drops to the 13 range under heavy load.
big 3 under hood is done with 0 gauge yes.
my voltage drops down as low as 11.8 at idle WITH after market high out put alternator.

yes ive read that hids prevent the dimming from being noticeable at the headlights. but regardless i get use dimming through out the inside of the car and the dimming is still incredicbly noticeable on all outter lights as well (tail lights. drls. etc)

when im running my car at higher rpm my votlage usually doesnt drop below 13 either. but at idle it does.

Originally Posted by AYEmike
capacitor just puts more stress on your alternator, put it away and just stick to your big 3 wire upgrade. Make sure its 0 gauge
ive been thinking about taking out cap. but ive also read that it cant put stress on it. it might not help but it wont hurt is what ive read. not sure which to believe lol.

0 gauge is done! =)

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Just 0 wire cables only didnt work for me.
i have 0 gauge under the hood also and i did it before high out put alternator and also didnt help out (which was the reason i had to get the h/o alt)

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
A capacitor can help stop the symptom, but is just adding more load to the in-car electrical system. A second battery just for the stereo charging through an isolator is the best way to do it. As the isolator removes the draw from the cars battery and electrical system, and gives an aux battery that is just for the amps. Amp no longer will kill your start battery when playing the stereo with the engine off, and no more issues with the amps stealing power from other components in the car..
i dont really play stereo with battery off so not worried about that. just want to stop this damn voltage drops to make sure i dont burn my gear. as mentioned above- ive never read that caps hurt the system- they might jsut not do anything. but like i said also, not sure what to believe =(

yup a 1 farad cap can only support about 400 watts. so you would need about 5 caps.. they are just tiny batteries.. i would run another battery..
i was thinking about just adding the second battery- but from all the reading ive done ive read that when your car is on- the alternator powers everything in your car. so wouldnt that mean that the 2nd battery doesnt do much? plus i figured my 270 amp alt should be able to keep up with 2k watts easily.

you can run a second battery with out the isolator...as long as it the same battery.. i had 4 optima batteries for 8 years in my civic when i did sound compitions with the stock alternator.. I have 5 svr batteries in my GS for 4 years with the stock alternator..battery isolaters are used when you have different size or brands of batteries..
ive never done more than one batteries, because ive always been under the impression that the alternator is the one supplying all the power when the car is on. so asuume a good powerful alt should be able to kee up with demand, no?

THANK YOU! Capacitors only put a bandaid on an open wound! and cause more problems.

The CHEAPEST thing to do is to add second battery with isolator as mentioned, but that too only hides the symptoms. Yea the dimming will go away, but with all the probably cheap power from the amp, the rear battery is just gonna stay empty and system will still run off the alternator and destroy it. The PROPER t hing to do is get a larger alternator.

As already asked, what amp are you using? I ran just under 3000 watts of REAL power (JL Audio) and 2 compressors for air ride (equivalent to another 800watt amp) and NEVER had a dimming problem. But because of the design of a GOOD amp can practically power itself, it did no harm to the stock electrical system. I did a write up on "The Big Three" look for it, thats where you need to start, its costly, but helps a lot.
larger h/o alt is done. - 270 amps (DC Power alternator)
Sundown 1500- ive heavily been thinking about switching to better quality amps. but everywhere on the forums ive read/been told that i should be able to make this amp power up just fine with out voltage drops if i got the right electrical. and i do have a big alt. so im trying to get to the bottom of it before i go out and drop more on more euipment. im thinking about trading my sundown 1500 for a jl hd 1200. but like i said- first i want to get to the botttom of my electrical. it pisses me off that i got a huge alt and good sized battery up front and im still getting issues. big three is also done btw. the first time i did it i noticed very little difference.

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Absolutely, you can most defiantly run

multiple batteries without an isolator no problem, like you mention they should be of same specs and preferably the same age. Competitions are one thing with 5 batteries, I would recommend an isolator for a daily/street type car because they are cheap and will eliminate the possiblity of playing the stereo from killing the start battery and you can mix and match batteries at any time..

Either way an additional battery can greatly improve stereo performance, the op has an uprated alternator already, but otherwise other people should keep in mind adding either a battery or capacitor it's all still more load for the car to charge so alternator performance is always still important.
h/o alternator is in the car already, yes. second battery is starting to seem like the next step. or does 2k seem too much for a 270 amp alternator?

Man just noticed it was you Rob! Are you asking yet AGAIN?! Isnt this like your 4th thread on this
LOL. maybe 3rd thread? in my defense, each thread has been on a slightly different area of the same topic. im just trying to get down to the bottom of all this man.

first thread was on big 3 i belive. which i checked off and completed.
second was on battery- i also checked off and upgraded (twice) to the biggest battery i can fit under the hood.
and possibly the third thread was about alternator- which i also checked off and purchased. 270 amps (as mentioned multiple times)

AND i still have voltage drops happening. i had been doing research through car audio forums and everyone says 2k is a little bit of power to be having the issues i am. most people on car audio forums ran 2k (good quality and not so good quality stuff) off stock electrical with very few issues. most just had big three done. which is why ive decided to narrow it down to just our lexus' and find out if its maybe something with our cars that i havnt notcied/gotten to.
Old 08-19-12, 02:16 PM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

Quote:
you can run a second battery with out the isolator...as long as it the same battery.. i had 4 optima batteries for 8 years in my civic when i did sound compitions with the stock alternator.. I have 5 svr batteries in my GS for 4 years with the stock alternator..battery isolaters are used when you have different size or brands of batteries..
-------->ive never done more than one batteries, because ive always been under the impression that the alternator is the one supplying all the power when the car is on. so asuume a good powerful alt should be able to kee up with demand, no?

HA found it... the alt cant keep up.. it also sounds as if the voltage regulator in the alt. is bad..so is the voltage at or close to 14volts at idle with nothing on?? your alt. says it can put out 270 amps.BUT no where to put it.. with the sundown pulling about 300 amps and the car and other things pulling about 70 amps you have no other help.. yup sounds like you need another battery.. yah the alt can charge the battery but its being used up right away.. think about it we have multiple batteries with stock alt with no problems..
Old 08-19-12, 02:51 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think youve got a ground issue. I can run 3k RMS of real power off stock alt, big3, and a batcap 2k in the rear.
Old 08-19-12, 03:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Most HO alternators produce less voltage when at idle than stock. They only produce HO when running the vehicle at more than idle, so use caution on that. What does DC spec it at? How often are you sitting at idle and listening to the bottom drop out of the system? Since the system should have 270A available from the alternator when running, I would agree with adding a battery to the rear through an isolator. Yes, I'm well aware that batteries can be run without one, but it's not good practice if you're depending on the "main" battery to operate the vehicle, and these vehicles are VERY touchy about voltage.

I would run 0 ga from the alt to the isolator and connect both batteries from there. If you have space in the engine bay, you can mount it there to minimize the excess cable from needing to be purchased. Since you've already got wires from the trunk to the battery location, you would simply put the isolator in line with those connections and may not require any new wires be run. While you're setting it up, make sure you're getting proper voltage, keeping in mind that power flows from negative to positive.

Big Mack
Old 08-19-12, 10:44 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Quote:
-------->ive never done more than one batteries, because ive always been under the impression that the alternator is the one supplying all the power when the car is on. so asuume a good powerful alt should be able to kee up with demand, no?

HA found it... the alt cant keep up.. it also sounds as if the voltage regulator in the alt. is bad..so is the voltage at or close to 14volts at idle with nothing on?? your alt. says it can put out 270 amps.BUT no where to put it.. with the sundown pulling about 300 amps and the car and other things pulling about 70 amps you have no other help.. yup sounds like you need another battery.. yah the alt can charge the battery but its being used up right away.. think about it we have multiple batteries with stock alt with no problems..

the alternator has warranty so ive beent hinking about sending it back. they told me theyd check it out. but im thinking i'll end up paying 50 bucks to ship it and theyre going to say everything is fine. because, honestly, even though its not putting out a lot of power at idle, its never failed to charge battery or keep up good voltage at high rpm. BUT according to DC its supposed to put out 180-200 amps at idle.

i wanted to try and confirm that its my alternator that cant keep up before i go and drop another 2 bills on an extra battery or spend anymore on electrical. ...but also, i dont think my amp is drawing 300 amps of current. thats a lot of current and if 300 amps from 1-2k was the case, then most people here (and pretty much any car audio user) would definitely be having voltage problems.

Originally Posted by oslouie
I think youve got a ground issue. I can run 3k RMS of real power off stock alt, big3, and a batcap 2k in the rear.
ive been told that, but ive checked my grounds and they seem fine. it might be your battery in the back thats doing it for u.

where are your grounds exactly?

i have two grounds under the hood to the battery. one runs from the battery to the engine chasis (near the alternator positive) and the other on the sheetmetal right in front of the battery (its a bolt on the side).

ground on my amp is in the trunk on the sheetmetal behind the carpet.

ive also tried powering the amp right at the battery since i figured the problem could be grounds or power wire being too long to the trunk. but i had the same result.

pics below:

amp grounds:

big 3/grounds under hood:

yellow is first ground connected to sheetmetal/firewall

the blue is the second ground connected to the tranny (i believe? ...there was a ground on here too. i picked up this idea from someone else here on club lexus. forgot who).

and the white is the third ground connected to the engine near the alternator positive. its where the stock ground to the battery goes.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Most HO alternators produce less voltage when at idle than stock. They only produce HO when running the vehicle at more than idle, so use caution on that. What does DC spec it at? How often are you sitting at idle and listening to the bottom drop out of the system? Since the system should have 270A available from the alternator when running, I would agree with adding a battery to the rear through an isolator. Yes, I'm well aware that batteries can be run without one, but it's not good practice if you're depending on the "main" battery to operate the vehicle, and these vehicles are VERY touchy about voltage.

I would run 0 ga from the alt to the isolator and connect both batteries from there. If you have space in the engine bay, you can mount it there to minimize the excess cable from needing to be purchased. Since you've already got wires from the trunk to the battery location, you would simply put the isolator in line with those connections and may not require any new wires be run. While you're setting it up, make sure you're getting proper voltage, keeping in mind that power flows from negative to positive.

Big Mack
DC power says it should be doing 180 amps at idle. which i feel is not happening, since my voltage drops into the 13s then between 12 and 11 volts as soon as rpm goes down. example- im crusing and voltage is good between 14-13 volts. i make a stop sign and as soon as bass hits during those few seconds at the stop sign i see the voltage drop. so pretty much immediately. luckily it goes right back up as soon as i get moving again. but still hate seeing it drop like that during city driving. and i installed a stinger voltage meter where the little coin flip down thing is on the left side next to the steering wheel, so im always watching it. lol

keep in mind that this is only happening when im going full tilt. at low/moderate levels voltage is fine at all times. at idle with nothing running the voltage is usually resting at 14.5 at the lowest.and up to 15.1 volts.

thanks for the advice mack. im just trying to get to the bottom of this and make sure i know what the cause/solution for all this really is. i pretty much figure adding a battery in the back should help. but i want to KNOW why and how this is all happening and how the solution of adding an extra battery (or whatevery it may be) is solving the problem and also know that its the real solution that is really solving the problem and not just adding a temporary aid.
Old 08-19-12, 10:50 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

im a little upset after today.

my friend has an ES. hes running a good amount of power, probably near 1500 watts rms, off an autozone alternator and a tiny old *** battery and NO big three.

i measured his voltage today... at idle, with system at full tilt, he never dropped below 12 volts.
i, on the other hand have every stock electrical upgrade (and sure my voltage is much higher than his) but at idle, even with all this equipment, mine cant keep up to his stock. lol WTF>
Old 08-23-12, 02:30 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

any further suggestions from anyone?
Old 08-23-12, 12:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I think you should try the isolation transformer