GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Missing Bolts on Rear Axle Halfshaft

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 03:20 AM
Xylophone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Bolts on Rear Axle Halfshaft

I got under my car to install my rear swaybar poly bushings when I noticed a huge trail of dark green grease above and around my rear diff pumpkin splattered everywhere. I thought it was a torn CV boot (just like a FWD car would have) from all the grease splatter, when I notice that the driver's side axle half-shaft has two bolts missing. Would've never known if I didn't get underneath my car.

So far, its not making any noise, and I haven't been under the rear of the car in a few months. Any way I can just refill it with grease and buy new bolts? I can't find the part number for the bolts in the diagrams Sewell has on their site; they don't even list the axle halfshafts.

Pic shows which bolt I need.
Attached Thumbnails Missing Bolts on Rear Axle Halfshaft-bolt-i-need.jpg  
Old 08-08-12, 05:01 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

See how long you have been riding with no grease in there. The axles might be done for if it has been a long time. If it doesn't seem too bad, then repack with axle grease and reinstall everything. Make sure you use loctite so the bolts don't back out again. Also, torque to spec without using an extension. Put the torque wrench right on the bolts with no extensions! It's more difficult to do, but it will prevent bolts from backing out again. A few years ago, I had a bad experience with this lol.

The part number for that bolt is 90110-12003.
Old 08-08-12, 12:55 PM
Xylophone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
See how long you have been riding with no grease in there. The axles might be done for if it has been a long time. If it doesn't seem too bad, then repack with axle grease and reinstall everything. Make sure you use loctite so the bolts don't back out again. Also, torque to spec without using an extension. Put the torque wrench right on the bolts with no extensions! It's more difficult to do, but it will prevent bolts from backing out again. A few years ago, I had a bad experience with this lol.

The part number for that bolt is 90110-12003.
Thanks man, I really needed the part number. How will I find out if the axle is done? Any way to check while I'm under the car? I know when the rear diff is going, it'll start getting noisy around turns. This car up until I drove it last night was quiet. The grease still seems fresh but I know axle grease is a little hard to remove.

And what kind of grease should I used to repack? Can I use any multipurpose grease like Green Grease or do I have to use a regular petroleum based grease? Old stuff seemed pretty thick, dark green, petroleum smell and I want the new stuff to mix with whatevers left of the old grease
Old 08-08-12, 01:40 PM
Lazy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if the axle has any play by turning it back n forth with ur hands. The seal is broken inside if it's leaking grease without the 2 bolts. Any grease should be ok to use
Old 08-08-12, 02:39 PM
Xylophone
Driver School Candidate

Alright, I'll do that to check for play. Just twist the shaft after the boot with my hands and check for play or noise?

No Lexus/Toyota/Yamaha dealership near me in NY/NJ has those bolts in stock, so I'll just have to let my car sit and order them. Not risking driving the axle as it is with no oil, even if it hasn't made any noise I don't want to finish it off.

I'll just repack it with Green Grease and put the bolts back on. It probably got contaminated, which kind of makes me wanna remove the axle boot to clean it out properly; but I don't feel confident doing that out on the street (not sure if I can put the boot back on so it seals). If it breaks, I'll just replace it, remans are only $45 after a core charge.