GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

PLEASE someone help why is my car doing this!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 11:28 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine don't do this nor has it ever, it's a bullet when I first start it hours later and drive off it snaps my neck back, VERY strong and responsive... I got 123k
Old 09-02-12, 01:13 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default .

Originally Posted by DMPesso
How do u change it on a 01 430? U might have saved my life if that's the issue. It seems like it too as it only happens when the car is first started then once gas is flowing through it pretty much stops

I cudnt find any instructions how to do this someone plz tell me how long it takes and how or a nice link :-) thanks
Old 09-03-12, 09:31 AM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only filtration on the fuel system is in the housing of the fuel pump assembly. Pretty sure you would have to get a new fuel pump housing to actually get a new filter. The only reason i say "pretty sure" is because i've never heard of anyone having a problem with the filter. pumps don't go out often but it's certainly something i've heard of. if you're sure the battery is good and is connected properly, you might be on the right track with accel pedal position sensor. but i do not recommend throwing parts at it based on a guess. that would be a rare problem.

I have no need to argue about the "fuel filter", but i don't think i'd dig into that without evidence (meaning get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and verify that you are having fuel pressure problems). personally, i doubt you are but it's possible
Old 09-03-12, 11:16 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Actually I found on here how to change the fuel filter thanks to searching :-). I was only searching google before like a retard. But if anyone has any advice about changing the fuel filter like before and after improvements plz let me know thanks
Old 09-03-12, 11:24 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There are a few long threads here about changing the filter,search the forum. As far as instructions, people posted diy steps, but I highly recommend you review the real steps from the service manual (in the sticky). I suggest too that maybe you look at the diy to clean up the throttle body. Otherwise, yea if you are going nuts with the throttle control the car is going to jerk. but actually many cars may do this.
Old 09-20-12, 11:33 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

So to ALL who may come across this thread, it turned out to be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Replacing the APP sensor (Acceleration Pedal Position) helped a little but the main issue is the TPS, so for anyone having these issues replace both the APP sensor which is the entire pedal assembly with sensor from sewell for $150 and the TPS for another $60. It will make the car drive like new again, hope this helps someone.
Old 09-24-12, 09:43 AM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious DMPesso: did you check the resistance on the TPS? I was starting to think it was mine, but the resistance is within specs. It is very frustrating. I never did test the APP because I couldn't even get to it. Do you have to pull panels under the dash out?

To answer your earlier question, my battery is an autozone battery, but it has been in for about 2 to 3 years. This same problem in my car only started happening about 4 months ago.

I was just about to go with the fuel filter. Its is supposed to be a lifetime filter, but many people have said it helped them.

For $60, i might just try it because it is so frustrating to jerk every time I back out. Did you use a scanner to set your TPS at the right angle?

So to ALL who may come across this thread, it turned out to be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Replacing the APP sensor (Acceleration Pedal Position) helped a little but the main issue is the TPS, so for anyone having these issues replace both the APP sensor which is the entire pedal assembly with sensor from sewell for $150 and the TPS for another $60. It will make the car drive like new again, hope this helps someone.
Old 09-24-12, 10:16 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

I am almost one hundred percent t positive it's either the tps Apps or a combo of both as they work together to tell the engine e how hard your pressing the pedal. Try replacing both as Sewell has them both for around 200 can't go wrong to make your car drive like a brand new car. Trust me it's the issue be happy you came across this thread and let me know how good t drives after you change it it dramatically improves throttle response you never thought you had
Old 09-24-12, 10:23 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I bought the fuel filter too but haven't changed it because Och on here said it didn't do anything for him so I didn't bother and to answer your question I has no check engine lights or anything I changed it Because it's a known problem and sensors usually don't last this kind of mileage anyway
Old 09-24-12, 11:16 AM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

Yes, mine isn't throwing a code either. It sounds like the same thing! How hard it is to change the pedal? Do you have to remove panels to get to it? I started to try to measure the resistance on it, but it was too hard to easily get to. For $60, I'll start with the TPS. It is cheeper than the dang MAF sensor was that didn't help! lol

I am almost one hundred percent t positive it's either the tps Apps or a combo of both as they work together to tell the engine e how hard your pressing the pedal. Try replacing both as Sewell has them both for around 200 can't go wrong to make your car drive like a brand new car. Trust me it's the issue be happy you came across this thread and let me know how good t drives after you change it it dramatically improves throttle response you never thought you had
Old 09-24-12, 11:57 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default .

It has to be the easiest thing in the world to change its just a bunch of screws but they are a real pain to get to. The sensor comes with the entire pedal assembly which makes it a breeze to change. You can find the app sensor thread on here where Och changed it. But I highly suggest changing both the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor at the same time as they work together and both will need to be changed anyway since most sensors don't last more then 100k anyway
Old 10-01-12, 07:31 PM
asia615
Driver School Candidate

I've been a victim of the following above now. Just last week, my gs4 started up sluggish and gas pedal sluggish driving off and then gone. But today the car started off bad, died, and wouldnt start. Ended up towing it. I replaced battery,starter, and alternator withing the last year. so i knew it couldnt be that. Went into panic mode until one of my good buddys (a lexus tech) came by. Try starting it, he said 100% it would be fuel pump. He loosen the gas line and told me to start it up. If the fuel pump was working, the line would have shot gas everywhere. No fuel leaked. He got the pump removed in less then 5 mins and ive searched online trying to find a good price and Amazon has the part for $100 (Denso) i mentioned the TPS and APP but just going to tackle this part 1st and see if thats it. wanted to share the news with my fellow gs4 because of my headache trying to find the solution. I'll update if anyone is interested. BTW not bad for a car dieing for the 1st time at 298k,
Old 10-01-12, 08:58 PM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like yours is a little different because the hesitation never leaves it unable to start. Some go into limp mode, but the car will actually run. Nonetheless, great catch! I got my used throttle body in today it was supposed to have only 55k miles, but it's pretty dirty. I will clean it up and see what it does. Next will be the app!
Old 10-02-12, 01:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

What's up CL, I have an 01 GS430 with 112k I've been having this problem with my car for the past few months and I've tried everything from a new MAF, new spark plugs, new air filter, techron gas treatment the problem still occurs but maybe not as bad as before. Basically what happens is if the car has been sitting overnight or at least 8 hours or so when I start the car for the first time the car will sort of shake and rumble for a second like a deep bass sound that can be heard and felt as well as the RPM jumping up and down for about 30 seconds then it stops. Also most of thetime when I first take off when the engine is cold if I press the gas a certain way and not hard enough the car will go but bog out as if the engine loses all the power. Then after it warms up it stops. I can't figure out what this is and neither can my mechanic can anyone please help me ill paypal them $20 for figuring it out lol thanks so much everyone
mine to a T is having the same results except the RPM's don't jump up/down for 30 secs. i will leave someplace after being there long enough for the car to cool down and i push the gas and it hesitates or bogs out for a second. i thought for along time it was the stupid drive by wire system but when i went to turn at a main intersection and my car bogged like it never has before i was sure it wasn't that. its been like this for about a month and had no issues other wise till today when i got a VSC OFF light,VSC light, and a ABS light. i drove to where i was going and then when i came back out and started the car, they were off. drove for about 20 mins on the interstate again and bam they came on. i drove one more place and was gonna head to my buddies shop to run the codes and they were gone again im sure it would show in the codes history but i havent checked it yet

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
I have the same problem. Neither my mechanic or I can figure it out. It's only when I first start it up in the morning. I have an 02 430, it just started a few months ago and I've done all the same things you've done.

EDIT: I have read that a bad battery can cause weird things in our cars - it might be worth trying that as a diagnostic step next.
mine definitely isnt a battery issue. i have a kinetik hc1800 battery under hood and a kinetik hc2400 in the trunk with a high output alternator so no way mines battery issues.

So its been driving better since the battery terminal change but I do notice that this may be the issue especially when you first take off with a cold engine. If I press the gas a certain way and let go but don't fully let go so I'm still pressing the gas just at a lower RPM. If its done quick enough I feel like the car gets confused and jerks since its electronic throttle. I don't know if that makes sense but that's what it seems like to me. I doubt its a "knock sensor" as I've never heard of that let alone it going bad on these cars
i thought for along time it was several issues. loose battery terminal so i undid my terminals, cleaned them and retightend them, nope. bad plugs but mine looked fine and arent that old, clogged injectors but i tried the rubbing alcohol trick and 2 different brands of fuel injector cleaner,nope. checked/cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor. airfilter is good. fuel filter/fuel sock was changed about a year ago and thats good. so i have been kind of stuck till reading this

It has to be the easiest thing in the world to change its just a bunch of screws but they are a real pain to get to. The sensor comes with the entire pedal assembly which makes it a breeze to change. You can find the app sensor thread on here where Och changed it. But I highly suggest changing both the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor at the same time as they work together and both will need to be changed anyway since most sensors don't last more then 100k anyway
so essentially if it is the TPS sensor, why change the APP sensor? i mean i understand it will "freshen" things up as you say but if a $60 part for the TPS sensor will fix it, why not just do that or do that first and see if it fixes it.

couldnt find these on sewells site, but you dont happen to have part #'s from sewells site do you?

also to change the TPS sensor do you have to remove the intake/throttle body?

Last edited by sakataj; 10-02-12 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 03:48 AM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

You're lucky that you threw a code. That at least gives you a clue. I bet it's a misfire in one of the cylinders. You may have this problem plus a spark issue. Please let us know what the code is.

Quick Reply: PLEASE someone help why is my car doing this!!