GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

PLEASE someone help why is my car doing this!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-12, 08:22 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

unplugg battery! try that reset ecu
Old 10-04-12, 09:31 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Cool. Let us know what happens I'd love to hear another gs being fixed
Old 10-04-12, 03:54 PM
asia615
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DMPesso, I've came a long way with this car. I only drive it in town so i'm avoiding any updates as possible. I replaced the fuel pump today which was a muda fudger to get back in. Other than the battery dead and fuel all over myself. Car started up fine with no sluggish or rpm dropping to cut off. My VAC VAC OFF light did come on. Called the master mechanic and he suggested "with the car off in park, turn on the emergency lights, turn car on and let it run".... belive it or not, it worked. Only drove it a few miles and temps are starting to drop so well see if i should start looking into the sensors.
Old 10-06-12, 04:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

so a little update....

i cannot get the bottom screw out of the TPS, i tried a flexible ratchet with a phillips head bit, a short stubby phillips head, and a few other misc tools but cannot get this off without stripping this. When it stops raining i will go try another tool, i still wonder why lexus didnt use a stupid 8mm bolt here like most of the other parts in the motor are done with, SMH.

also just a heads up the new TPS has the part # on it, i would assume the old one does also

and for you visual people. the green arrow is the plug and the red arrows are the two phillips heads. you can barely see the bottom screw in my picture

Old 10-06-12, 08:57 PM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Mad dog your wasting your time with the throttle body changing but I guess it's too late now. Let me know after you change the TPS and APPS when it actually fixes your problem. And Asia your problem seems like it might actually be the fuel pump since you have so many miles but at this point it would only make the car drive wayyyyyy better by changing these sensors so you might as well change them before changing the fuel pump its cheaper too. And if thy were never changed you guaranteed need to change them and changing them will make the car feel like a new car
Actually the TPS comes on the throttle body, so I also got a newer throttle body motor, TPS, and and extra throttle body to have clean when it come time to clean them, I'll just switch out. Anyway, all of those new parts fixed my problem. It's been a little slow on the accelerator when I got on it, now that is even gone. I just thought that was the drive by wire, but apparently, it's been slowly going out for a while. It is like a new car. I'm sure it's the TPS on the new throttle body responsible.

Anyway, it's like a new car! I will hold off on the APP for now. It's driving great. Thanks for all of your input DMPesso!

I was also curious what the back side of my throttle body would look like since I've only cleaned it from the front both times. It wasn't bad.

Last edited by maddog2005; 10-06-12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-06-12, 09:04 PM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
are you talking to me? it would be great if you would quote people so they knew who you were talking to or talking about. if you meant me, i havent checked mine cause the code came and went so quickly

if i need a OBII scanner or the Lexus scanner?
My bad on the quotes.

I was able to see the degree of the TPS with an OBII scanner. Book says to shoot for 14.4 to 16% and then do a fully closed throttle valve for 10 to 14%, but I don't know how you do a fully closed test. I just checked mine to see if it was in range of the first specs, 14.4 to 16%.
Old 10-06-12, 09:07 PM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
so a little update....

i cannot get the bottom screw out of the TPS, i tried a flexible ratchet with a phillips head bit, a short stubby phillips head, and a few other misc tools but cannot get this off without stripping this. When it stops raining i will go try another tool, i still wonder why lexus didnt use a stupid 8mm bolt here like most of the other parts in the motor are done with, SMH.
Yeah, I changed the screws on my MAF sensor to 8mm bolts for that very reason. The whole motor should use them instead of those strip happy screws.

I just pulled the whole throttle body off of mine today to change it out. Summit racing has the replacement gasket for under 20 dollars. It might be worth your time to pull the whole throttle body to get at that screw easier and change it to 8mm when you get it off? Anyway, taking the throttle body off and putting a new used one in took less than an hour.

Last edited by maddog2005; 10-06-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 10:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by maddog2005
Yeah, I changed the screws on my MAF sensor to 8mm bolts for that very reason. The whole motor should use them instead of those strip happy screws.
true true, i changed mine also to 7mm bolts (i stripped my bottom screw so i had to change them).... here is the ones i got from Home Depot for $1.95

i had to remove my throttle body also , if you do this guys, take the time to buy some throttle body cleaner (only need one can) and clean the inside/outside of the TB and the edge of the intake which is now exposed. i used CRC brand and also cleaned my MAF sensor while i had the SRT intake taken apart. the last pic with the green arrow this hose is a little difficult to get off the first time. its easier to unbolt the throttle body and then undo this hose then trying to do it before hand

this is gonna be hard to explain since i didnt take pics of the underside of the TPS on either the car or the old TPS (i guess i could take the old one as i still have it but it wont make sense without seeing underneath it on the TB side). if you put the TPS on the "tracks" of the throttle bottle lever (this is under the TPS sensor) it will leave the throttle body open like so

i thought at first with the Tech Force 2 scan tool i had i might be able to reset it to closed or even the car itself would reset and force it closed when the motor started, that wasn't the case. i put it on like this and as soon as i cranked the car it acted like i was flooring it and i shut it off immediately. i pulled the TB back off again and realigned the TPS sensor and bolted everything back up..... this time, on start up it idled perfectly but when i pushed the petal it literately did nothing. i mean i had it on the floor and nothing was going on so again i took off everything and realigned the TPS once more still trying to get it to catch it on the "tracks" and reinstalled everything. this time it started up and reved to about 2.5k then back to 800 then back to 2.5k then back and forth till i turned the car off.......i then proceeded to take everything off again. This time i paid a little more attention to how i put the TPS on (instead of trying to put the TPS on the "tracks" and make the "tracks" turn open the throttle body i aligned it backwards from what i had been doing so the TPS rotated instead of the "tracks" on the throttle body. Reinstalled everything and all was well in my life again....until i took her for a drive, CEL had popped on when the car was reving like crazy and the VSC OFF light,VSC light, and a ABS light now turned on...

i went to autozone to return the 3 extra cans of CRC throttle body cleaner i bought and when i got back in to go home all my lights were back off.....so now im confused and maybe it was from the TB cleaner or MAF cleaner and then it fully evaporated but i dunno for sure. im not having any issues with my MC or my traction control or anything so i will keep a eye on it but ATM everything is fixed. Knock on wood.

BTW i know you gave me the part #'s but Darrel sent me a return email so im gonna link them

APP sensor
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2001.html

and the TPS sensor
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2001/5781.html

Last edited by sakataj; 10-08-12 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 11:52 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

btw the only tool i could get to fit for the bottom screw was a tool like this

i still couldnt get this off and ended up stripping the screw so i changed them to bolts. i tried a short stubby, a socket with a phillips head bit and a few other things and just couldnt get that thing off so i removed the whole TB which wasnt a bad job at all

also a good read here....got some good old links in it to older posts/discussions

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...on-sensor.html

Last edited by sakataj; 10-11-12 at 09:29 AM.