GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

PLEASE someone help why is my car doing this!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 05:32 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol good thing you didnt dump the car huh! glad to know everythings goood. what battery did you end up using?
Old 08-05-12, 02:58 PM
dadude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i could be your knock sensor going bad i am having the same problem
Old 08-05-12, 03:00 PM
dadude
Driver School Candidate

it could be your knock sensor going bad
Old 08-07-12, 11:21 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default .

So its been driving better since the battery terminal change but I do notice that this may be the issue especially when you first take off with a cold engine. If I press the gas a certain way and let go but don't fully let go so I'm still pressing the gas just at a lower RPM. If its done quick enough I feel like the car gets confused and jerks since its electronic throttle. I don't know if that makes sense but that's what it seems like to me. I doubt its a "knock sensor" as I've never heard of that let alone it going bad on these cars
Old 08-07-12, 11:27 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Why would u even drive like that? ^^^^ ur gassing and then letting up and then back to a slower gassing at lower rpm? Smooth and steady will last longer than fast jerks... So she says ^_^

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 08-07-12 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 11:43 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Happens pretty easy actually. If you first takeoff but need to slow down because a cars infront and don't realize you didn't completely let go there you go. But I hardly notice it compared to before the battery terminal change so this might just be normal
Old 08-08-12, 07:33 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Could be a power draw from somewhere on your battery/alternator or electrical issue? could be that some mice bit into some wires some share a t some point. Also tightening and checking your terminal/ battery cables for corrosion and splits does wonders.Hope you get it all sorted out, nothing worse then a out of order gs

oops never mind, i should of read the whole thread before posting..
Old 08-08-12, 09:18 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Happens pretty easy actually. If you first takeoff but need to slow down because a cars infront and don't realize you didn't completely let go there you go. But I hardly notice it compared to before the battery terminal change so this might just be normal
That makes perfect sense actually... I pictured this differently but i can see what u mean now. I thought u were just on an open road doing this on purpose to figure out why what ur feeling is happening.
Old 08-08-12, 11:48 AM
maddog2005
Driver School Candidate

My 04 430 just started doing this a few months ago. Spark Plugs look good. I replaced the MAF and air filter. I also cleaned the throtle body intensively. Still doing it.

I notice it most backing out of the garage first thing in the morning. Right after putting it in reverse and pressing the gas a little, it bogs then surges.
Old 08-09-12, 05:59 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

it seems to me that this is a normal problem with this car. I think its the ECU or stupid electronic throttle. At least im not the only one now I feel more comfortable that its not something too crazy.

Originally Posted by maddog2005
My 04 430 just started doing this a few months ago. Spark Plugs look good. I replaced the MAF and air filter. I also cleaned the throtle body intensively. Still doing it.

I notice it most backing out of the garage first thing in the morning. Right after putting it in reverse and pressing the gas a little, it bogs then surges.
Old 08-09-12, 06:00 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

by a chance did you recently change your battery with an autozone one? im just trying to narrow down all the posibilities.
Old 08-10-12, 02:27 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not bother reading all of the replies so someone may have said this.
BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY. check battery, check terminals, check grounds, check alternator. surging at idle is almost always a power issue.
TPS can cause issues, but it wouldn't be like that. it would be a sudden jerky loss in power every now and then. accelerator pedal position sensor will cause the exact same thing.
-CHECK AND MAKE SURE YOU COOLANT TEMP SENSOR IS READING CORRECTLY. not a common problem....but possible.
fuel pressure issue would cause a hard start issue, along with other problems.
Old 09-01-12, 03:40 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Just to let everyone know I think I figured out the problem is when cold starting esprcially when the engine is just warming up if you press the gas but try to let go but still have it a little pressed it does the jerking I think that's the issue becuz of the electronic peddle bull****
Old 09-01-12, 04:59 PM
VAgs430
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend any of you 2gs guy with over 100k to change your fuel filter... its a 30 min job and if you use the search tool theres some good DIY's on it. i was experiencing simmilar issues with my 01 430 to the point that the car was stalling and shutting off when i would occasionally break harder than normal (traffic lights) it was also having the same issue with the lazy acceleration and hard idle. the fuel filter fixed all this and you can get an oem one from sewell shipped for about $40
Old 09-01-12, 07:24 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VAgs430
I would highly recommend any of you 2gs guy with over 100k to change your fuel filter... its a 30 min job and if you use the search tool theres some good DIY's on it. i was experiencing simmilar issues with my 01 430 to the point that the car was stalling and shutting off when i would occasionally break harder than normal (traffic lights) it was also having the same issue with the lazy acceleration and hard idle. the fuel filter fixed all this and you can get an oem one from sewell shipped for about $40

How do u change it on a 01 430? U might have saved my life if that's the issue. It seems like it too as it only happens when the car is first started then once gas is flowing through it pretty much stops

Quick Reply: PLEASE someone help why is my car doing this!!