GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

PLEASE someone help why is my car doing this!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-12, 02:05 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

dump the car and recoup as much cash as you can
Old 07-29-12, 06:23 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
I have the same problem. Neither my mechanic or I can figure it out. It's only when I first start it up in the morning. I have an 02 430, it just started a few months ago and I've done all the same things you've done.

EDIT: I have read that a bad battery can cause weird things in our cars - it might be worth trying that as a diagnostic step next.
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there having this problem. Where exactly did u hear the battery can cause these sort of problems? I'm contemplating switching batteries with my sister just to see if it works but by the way the problem feels I can't imagine it being the batter since it goes away once the car is warm and besides that why would a battery randomly causse rpm jump and bogging/hesitation. Doesn't sound right to me. It feels like a fuel pump issue as if the fuel isn't being delivered at the right pressure causing jumping rpms and occasional hesitation until the gas is flowing through.
Old 07-29-12, 09:47 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The TPS should be to the front of the throttle body, but on a 430 I'm not sure.
To drive with the TPS not engaged, just locate the TPS then unplug the connection.
If I'm allowed to do link's, here is what it will somewhat look like.
http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/thr...xus/gs430.html
Cheers
Old 07-29-12, 10:21 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
dump the car and recoup as much cash as you can
Why would OP dump the car when it has a minor, albeit annoying, problem only when cold? Not everyone poops money..

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one out there having this problem. Where exactly did u hear the battery can cause these sort of problems? I'm contemplating switching batteries with my sister just to see if it works but by the way the problem feels I can't imagine it being the batter since it goes away once the car is warm and besides that why would a battery randomly causse rpm jump and bogging/hesitation. Doesn't sound right to me. It feels like a fuel pump issue as if the fuel isn't being delivered at the right pressure causing jumping rpms and occasional hesitation until the gas is flowing through.
I didn't say it caused this problem, just it does introduce unusual behaviour. I was referring to another thread where someone had gone through 3 "failed" transmissions, wouldn't shift, etc., until finally he changed the battery and the problem went away. Turns out to be a fairly common problem among other types of vehicles, not just ours. If you have access to a similar battery, I say give it a shot.. If it works I will run out and buy one too
Old 07-29-12, 10:33 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Exactly why would I wanna dump the car when I just invested so much into it that's obviously why I'm here so I can fix it nd keep it. That's crazy I can't imagine a battery not allowing a tranny to shift but hey u never know. The only thing is the car always drives beautiful when you reset the battery but I guess ill give it a try and see what happens. I was thinking maybe getting new terminals as that can't hurt I remember when I replaced it on another GS the new one hugged the thing you screw the battery terminal onto better
Old 07-29-12, 11:57 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

I may be in luck because I was inspecting my battery and noticed the red one which I think is the positive the terminal is like bent and is not hugging the battery good enough to the point where you can twist it and it moves around it but the other one does not move at all. I'm going to replace the terminal tomorrow and let you know what happens. Pray for me!!
Old 07-30-12, 04:08 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Was that it? if it wasn't, than I'd pay $20 to find out what's wrong!
Old 07-30-12, 04:13 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Lol well I changed the terminal so I won't know until the car has been sitting long enough for the issue to occur. But it seems to be driving a little better but that could just be me. But ill deff let you guys know what happens in a day or two. Wish me luck!
Old 07-31-12, 09:39 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Default !

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Was that it? if it wasn't, than I'd pay $20 to find out what's wrong!
Well as of today I didn't notice the problem but it doesn't happen everyday but the car does seem to feel more responsive. So first things first check your battery terminals make sure the connections are tight because that could be the problem. Ill keep everyone updated as the week goes by if the problem happens again. Pray for me that it doesn't!! Thanks everyone for ur help CL I duno wat I wud do without u guys
Old 07-31-12, 09:40 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

So far so good! Crossing my fingers, please check back in next week and let us know
Old 07-31-12, 12:04 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i'm with the fuelpump/fuel filter camp.

Try this, Put the key in and put in in ACC/II for like 1minute before you start.
The fuel pump would be pumping up during that time.

So this test would help you eliminate fuel pressure as an issue.
Old 07-31-12, 01:25 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subbed for suspenseful climatic ending!!
Old 08-02-12, 08:33 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Wattup everyone. So its been about two days and I haven't noticed the problem anymore so it seems to be fixed knock on wood! So everyone check your battery terminals make sure they are completely tight and not bent in any way to make sure they fully grab the battery.
Old 08-02-12, 03:25 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Good to hear - hope it holds up over the weekend!

I'll be in NYC in a couple weeks on vacation, and will be available for any gratuitous beer you might buy for a fellow CL'er that brought you a potential solution
Old 08-04-12, 04:43 AM
cschroder
Driver

Originally Posted by raytseng
i'm with the fuelpump/fuel filter camp.

Try this, Put the key in and put in in ACC/II for like 1minute before you start.
The fuel pump would be pumping up during that time.

So this test would help you eliminate fuel pressure as an issue.

fuel pump does not run unless the motor is turning. fyi

Quick Reply: PLEASE someone help why is my car doing this!!