GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Totaled 98 Gs400

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 02:39 PM
msnelson81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totaled 98 Gs400

My BF was hit while driving my 98 gs400 a few days ago. The other party was at fault. Im dealing with there ins. co (nationwide). The gs is not operable so i had it towed to a near by shop . The ins co. is saying they will only cover 7 days storage at the shop then im responsible. Shouldn't they be responsible up until the car is operable or they cash me out? Also, they called me today and determined the car is deemed totaled. It has 236,000 miles they estimate charges to be $5700 not including my 20 inch rims and tires (they have to call to get those estimated)...is this the amount they wanna give me? This amount will NOT get me back into a gs...im worried. Im having 3 different collision repair shops estimate the vehicle to compare..is this a good idea? I just have a weird feeling that im about to be screwed by the ins. co. How do i find out a reasonable amount for it being totaled out?
Attached Thumbnails Totaled 98 Gs400-lex.jpg  
Old 07-25-12, 02:49 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

98 gs400 , 236k miles for 5,700

sounds about right to be to be honest.

drag the car home, and part out to the forums
Old 07-25-12, 02:51 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Typically they only cover 7 days at a tow yard... If ur vehicle is in a shop being repaired there shouldnt be any daily fees from the repair shop. Basically ur car can sit in a tow yard for 6 days while u get estimates and decide to get it fixed or cash out. If u cash out u can take 4 rims and swap for urs if u want them. I totalled a car and did this along with the stereo system, braces, and some other stuff. Usually u can take stuff as long as u replace it with something at the tow yard. If ur car is sitting at a repair shop and u go past the 7th day with no decision then that repair shop and even tow yard for that matter can start charging u holding fees. Good luck... maybe it doesnt have to be totalled and can be repaired for less than what they r offering and u can keep it.
Old 07-25-12, 02:54 PM
msnelson81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
98 gs400 , 236k miles for 5,700

sounds about right to be to be honest.

drag the car home, and part out to the forums
I have been told to buy it from the ins co and part it out.....how would i part it out to the forums??
Old 07-25-12, 02:56 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by msnelson81
I have been told to buy it from the ins co and part it out.....how would i part it out to the forums??
basically you buy it from the insurance company, tow it home, and start selling parts that people here on Club Lexus need
Old 07-25-12, 02:58 PM
msnelson81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Typically they only cover 7 days at a tow yard... If ur vehicle is in a shop being repaired there shouldnt be any daily fees from the repair shop. Basically ur car can sit in a tow yard for 6 days while u get estimates and decide to get it fixed or cash out. If u cash out u can take 4 rims and swap for urs if u want them. I totalled a car and did this along with the stereo system, braces, and some other stuff. Usually u can take stuff as long as u replace it with something at the tow yard. If ur car is sitting at a repair shop and u go past the 7th day with no decision then that repair shop and even tow yard for that matter can start charging u holding fees. Good luck... maybe it doesnt have to be totalled and can be repaired for less than what they r offering and u can keep it.
ok...gotcha...so do u thinks it's possible to keep the car without having them place a salvage on it?
Old 07-25-12, 03:01 PM
msnelson81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
basically you buy it from the insurance company, tow it home, and start selling parts that people here on Club Lexus need
oh ok...good idea..thanks!
Old 07-25-12, 03:04 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a fair warning, you need to have significant post count/length of service here in order to do a partout. I tried when my 98 was totaled and was shut down. I stripped the car anyway and now I just watch the 2GS sale forum for WTB threads on stuff I kept.

FWIW - you should check into import tuning/performance shops in your area, there might be some demand for your motor/tranny for tuners. They're usually looking for 1GS motors, but you never know - might be an easy $500 to let them come rip it from the car.

This was my accident. Dumbass ran a red light and smoked me
Totaled 98 Gs400-qn2ky.jpg
Old 07-25-12, 03:08 PM
msnelson81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
Just a fair warning, you need to have significant post count/length of service here in order to do a partout. I tried when my 98 was totaled and was shut down. I stripped the car anyway and now I just watch the 2GS sale forum for WTB threads on stuff I kept.

FWIW - you should check into import tuning/performance shops in your area, there might be some demand for your motor/tranny for tuners. They're usually looking for 1GS motors, but you never know - might be an easy $500 to let them come rip it from the car.
This is my 1st post so that wont work... however checking with my local shops would be worth looking off into...thanks!
Old 07-25-12, 03:43 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

ok...gotcha...so do u thinks it's possible to keep the car without having them place a salvage on it?
As long as the repairs dont reach the payout amount offered $5700 to fix it then it should not have a salvaged title. You must be willing to repair the vehicle for that lower amount. For instance if the repairs are $3800 then its fixed and u move on with life.
Old 07-25-12, 04:05 PM
msnelson81
Driver School Candidate

This is my 1st post so that wont work... however checking with my local shops would be worth looking off into...thanks!
oh no...I didn't see the pic til now...hope no one was hurt. what ended up happening with yours? what year was it and how many miles?
Old 07-25-12, 04:09 PM
msnelson81
Driver School Candidate

As long as the repairs dont reach the payout amount offered $5700 to fix it then it should not have a salvaged title. You must be willing to repair the vehicle for that lower amount. For instance if the repairs are $3800 then its fixed and u move on with life.
OK..do u think it's worth keeping and repairing with 236000 miles or take the $$ and run.. Well im waiting for the adjuster to call me back to see where we stand. I appreciate your input.
Old 07-25-12, 04:37 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy it back fix it and sell it I,m guessing 2 grand and you can fix it. (used or aftermarket parts. Looks to me like no frame or strut tower damage. Or fix it and keep it
Old 07-25-12, 04:43 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The ins. company has to pay for it.. Thats why u have insurance. Get the 3 different quotes and go from there... I highly doubt you'll get 5k in selling parts off the car. It will take a long time ...
Old 07-25-12, 05:03 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Take the money and RUN..

Quick Reply: Totaled 98 Gs400