GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Problems with V LED 9005 DRL Module

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 08:13 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Angry Problems with V LED 9005 DRL Module

Anyone else use this?

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...97704-1-3.html

Ive been having problems getting this to work properly. When I first installed them in my 01 GS the led DRL nor High Beams would not turn on at all, however I got the DRL working when I plugged the power connecter in reverse .

Here comes the second problem, the LED DRL's now light up HOWEVER, one side is always dimmer than the other side and it switches between either side randomly every time I start the car.
Also only the driver side high beam will turn on.

anyone experience this?? I'm confused because according to the description these modules are supposed to boost up power to 12+-V but one side is always dimmer than the other.
I've already contacted V Led but they haven't been much help.

and another pair of these modules have also been installed in my friends 03 Acura TLS and the same thing happens, one side is dimmer than the other, but I don't think he has played around with plugging it in reverse yet.

Thanks!!
Old 07-05-12, 08:25 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A friend tried these in a is300. No luck same problems. It seems to just not like the Toyota drl modules.
Old 07-05-12, 08:39 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can u measure the voltage coming out and compare them to each side?
Old 07-05-12, 09:56 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

EDIT: that is not the drl kit i got from vleds.com
this is it: http://www.v-leds.com/Vehicle-Specif...70276-3-1.html
mine looked similar the the other kit posted below. i paid alot more for it than $9,99 too.

Last edited by SoCal Cyco; 07-06-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-06-12, 04:34 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I am using ths one pictured below. Got it from JDMtoys.com Works good though high beam is useless.

Last edited by BiGEZ; 07-06-12 at 04:38 AM. Reason: missing pic
Old 07-06-12, 08:29 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
I am using ths one pictured below. Got it from JDMtoys.com Works good though high beam is useless.

Got the same thing from JDMtoys.com No complaints. High beams relocated to my retrofitted FX-Rs.
Old 07-06-12, 09:09 AM
str8lucky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also got mine from JDMtoys no issues.
Old 07-07-12, 01:07 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

yea I saw the JDM toys kit too but my friend said it seemed kinda sketchy by having a resister on one side and powering both leds on the other so we decided to try the V led one so I guess il have to order the JDM toys one and try that out
Old 08-10-12, 11:35 PM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AVSRacing
Anyone else use this?

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/D...97704-1-3.html

Ive been having problems getting this to work properly. When I first installed them in my 01 GS the led DRL nor High Beams would not turn on at all, however I got the DRL working when I plugged the power connecter in reverse .

Here comes the second problem, the LED DRL's now light up HOWEVER, one side is always dimmer than the other side and it switches between either side randomly every time I start the car.
Also only the driver side high beam will turn on.

anyone experience this?? I'm confused because according to the description these modules are supposed to boost up power to 12+-V but one side is always dimmer than the other.
I've already contacted V Led but they haven't been much help.

and another pair of these modules have also been installed in my friends 03 Acura TLS and the same thing happens, one side is dimmer than the other, but I don't think he has played around with plugging it in reverse yet.

Thanks!!
I had the same problem.. you need a wiring diagram to see the problem... lexus uses resistors and wired in series with the high beams and also wire the high beam in series.. thats why one works in reverse..if you dont mine cutting wires and adding... first remove both drl relays in fuse box driver side..so your high beams wont work..jump the white/black wire and white/red with a jumper wire in the fuse box.. you should be able to see under the relay plugs for these wires.. This is the ground side of the circuit..cut the red wire on the passenger side high beam socket ... add a wire on the socket side and run wire to the driver side high beam socket and connect to the red/green wire..this is the positive side.. hook up the drls normaly and not reverse.. hope this helps..
Old 08-10-12, 11:45 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

^^ thanks!!, sounds very complicated though. however I did order a JDMTOYS drl kit, but I haven't had time to install that, I'll update this when I get that installed.
Old 08-10-12, 11:54 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

mine works prefect
Old 08-11-12, 06:18 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Got mines from ijdmtoys as well and no problems! As stated above, high beams are useless. Gives you the same output as daylight. So kiss your high beams good bye and it sucks not being able to high beam slow drivers in fast lanes.
Old 08-11-12, 08:50 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
Got mines from ijdmtoys as well and no problems! As stated above, high beams are useless. Gives you the same output as daylight. So kiss your high beams good bye and it sucks not being able to high beam slow drivers in fast lanes.
yes bye bye high beams but you got your horns to alert people when necessary.

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/e...=VIDEO0013.mp4
Old 08-16-12, 07:37 PM
AVSRacing
Instructor

ok so I installed the new JDM TOY DRL harness today and it works just as they described it to be, no uneven brightness, flickering, one side not light up and high beam works

HOWEVER then I first put them on I noticed they wouldn't light up, then I checked my fuzes and realized the V LED modules burnt BOTH my L and R 15 amp light fuses AGAIN (forgot what they were called exactly)

I'll do another review of the JDM TOY module in a few weeks if anything comes up
Old 10-08-12, 09:01 AM
RXHybrid08
Driver School Candidate

Default Drl

Originally Posted by krazyGs3
I had the same problem.. you need a wiring diagram to see the problem... lexus uses resistors and wired in series with the high beams and also wire the high beam in series.. thats why one works in reverse..if you dont mine cutting wires and adding... first remove both drl relays in fuse box driver side..so your high beams wont work..jump the white/black wire and white/red with a jumper wire in the fuse box.. you should be able to see under the relay plugs for these wires.. This is the ground side of the circuit..cut the red wire on the passenger side high beam socket ... add a wire on the socket side and run wire to the driver side high beam socket and connect to the red/green wire..this is the positive side.. hook up the drls normaly and not reverse.. hope this helps..
Do you have the wiring diagram available? I am actually hooking up LED lights on top of the DRLs and it is not working so I would like to know if there is a fix for it. A lot of forums says the DRL voltage is half of 12V but when I checked it the DMM reads 12V so I wander if the current is the one getting cut in half.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Problems with V LED 9005 DRL Module