GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-15-14, 01:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Headlights not turning off after exiting vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 09:27 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlights not turning off after exiting vehicle

I've noticed this a couple times now in my 02 430.. I normally keep my headlights on the Auto setting, and let it do its thing. I noticed that while driving, they turn on/off much later than my 98 did when it was night/day. Anyway that's not the point of this...

I came home after dark one night and went inside. the headlights were on like they normally are for the 30 some seconds before they normally switch off. I went into my garage a few hours later, and the headlights were still on! I checked all the doors, they were all closed. They wouldn't turn off until I reach in and switched it off manually.

Over the next few days, I checked it a couple times, and they went off like normal. Then about a week later, it did it again. This time I took my key and hit the lock button twice, which usually tells the car "shut off the lights immediately", but it didn't work. I could hear the door actuators doing their thing, the car would beep on each key press, but the lights remained on, and stayed on until I again went into the car and switched them off.

I have a custom stereo wired in my car, as well as the LED mirror covers, but that's it electrical wise. I don't think the headlight operation would be affected by either one of these mods. Can anyone offer any ideas for me to check out?

TL;DR - Sometimes my headlights won't auto shut-off after I leave the car. wtf?
Old 06-13-12, 01:00 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

No one has seen this before?
Old 06-13-12, 02:01 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i usually leave my headlight on the on setting and just hit lock twice.

the headlights should automatically turn off (if this helps at all)

im assuming if you are parked in a dark place like the garage and its in the auto setting it wont turn off.
Old 06-13-12, 05:23 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
i usually leave my headlight on the on setting and just hit lock twice.

the headlights should automatically turn off (if this helps at all)

im assuming if you are parked in a dark place like the garage and its in the auto setting it wont turn off.
They should turn off with the key fob yes, but they didn't in those 2 instances.

The auto setting only controls having them come on/off depending on the amount of available light while running. Once the car is off and the key is out of the ignition, the headlights are supposed to turn off within a certain time. That's how my 98 worked.

Plus, who would call it Auto when you park at night for dinner and a movie and your lights are on the whole time?
Old 06-13-12, 05:55 PM
sugzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 98 only turns off if do it manually. Hope someone can chim in on this issue.
Old 06-13-12, 07:09 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check and see if your door switch is working. Had similar problem in my truck.
Old 06-13-12, 07:42 PM
flsc300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this happen to me check and see if all the door lock are working and in the lock position. My driver rear door actuator stopped workin and no longer auto lock with key fob. So what I did is just leave it in the lock position as I never go back there Neway after that lights turn off with double lock press. So what you should do is lock your car with the key fob then go around and try to open the doors I'm sure one of them won't be locked. Hope this helps this was my experience.
Old 06-14-12, 07:50 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by istundra
Check and see if your door switch is working. Had similar problem in my truck.
Door switch would also control the dome/interior lights, right? No problem there.

Originally Posted by flsc300
I just had this happen to me check and see if all the door lock are working and in the lock position. My driver rear door actuator stopped workin and no longer auto lock with key fob. So what I did is just leave it in the lock position as I never go back there Neway after that lights turn off with double lock press. So what you should do is lock your car with the key fob then go around and try to open the doors I'm sure one of them won't be locked. Hope this helps this was my experience.
I changed all the actuators already; when I bought the car only one was still working. Luckily I had them all from my totaled 98

Is there some kind of separate headlight control module that controls this function maybe?
Old 06-14-12, 09:26 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

to confirm my headlights were having problems when the doors didnt lock

worked fine after i changed my actuator
Old 06-29-12, 02:07 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

So it seems to now be a permanent problem. Screwing around with the key fob/locks does nothing - only physically switching the lights off.

Whether in Auto or with headlights fixed on, they should turn off after a certain period of time. My 98 did this without issue, locked or unlocked.

I tested it last night while doing some errands after dusk and purposely left it in Auto position. Not once were they off when I came back to my car to head to the next errand. There has to be some module that controls this timing?! I'm frustrated by this seemingly simple feature, because it is such an awesome feature in its simplicity, and now I don't have it.
Old 06-29-12, 08:01 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what happens when you press LOCK twice in a row? does your light turn OFF?
Old 06-30-12, 07:39 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by istundra
what happens when you press LOCK twice in a row? does your light turn OFF?
No. My courtesy lights and puddle lights all turn off, but the headlights stay on.
Old 07-26-12, 01:37 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Just an update.. I'm still having this problem. I started leaving the headlights ON all the time, daytime, nighttime, whatever. It seemed to work as its supposed to for around a week, then one day it just came back - coworker came in an hour after me asking if I had left my lights on

I did notice that my driver side puddle light in the door doesn't work. I've tested it with a multimeter and it's only receiving 0.4V - maybe a broken wire. I don't know if this could somehow be related..?
Old 07-26-12, 01:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, sounds like it. Or just dont leave them on auto mode.
Old 07-26-12, 03:29 PM
nytefire
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the trunk is open the lights will also remain on. Maybe the trunk switch giving problems?

Quick Reply: Headlights not turning off after exiting vehicle