GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
Old 12-15-14, 01:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Headlights not turning off after exiting vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 07:49 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nytefire
If the trunk is open the lights will also remain on. Maybe the trunk switch giving problems?
Hadn't thought of that.. the trunk switch operates like normal though. I can try popping it and closing it again, see if that does anything.
Old 07-27-12, 10:29 AM
nytefire
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there's gotta be a sensor there that determines if the trunk is open or closed.
Ran into it where someone left my trunk popped when they borrowed my car and left my car with the lights on.
Old 11-28-12, 04:55 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever figure this out?
Old 11-28-12, 05:55 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

I'm 99% sure I did, but I haven't had time to find the fix. My door sensor appears to be intermittent. I changed the bulb because I noticed it was burnt out, but the new one didn't work either. I checked with a multimeter and the socket was reading 1.5v, not 12v like normal. At some point it just started working.

So now, when I open my door, the puddle light is sometimes on, sometimes not or is very dim. The times when it is on full bright, the headlights will turn themselves off. Basically, my car doesn't think I've left my car yet, and the headlights are programmed to stay on until somebody gets out.

Anyway, check your puddle light when you get out of your car if you have this problem. If you were assuming you just had a dead bulb, it might in fact be the sensor or wiring, which I think causes this auto headlight turn off issue.
Old 11-28-12, 09:24 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

My puddle lights are fine but both of my front actuators are out. Do you think this could be a problem?
Old 11-28-12, 09:58 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksedan
My puddle lights are fine but both of my front actuators are out. Do you think this could be a problem?
I doubt it, because the car's lights should go off whether or not you locked your doors. I park in my garage and don't lock it, and the lights went off in my old 98. The mystery continues..
Old 11-28-12, 10:19 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan
when my door lock actuator went out, it wouldnt turn off. opened everything up, replaced the motor inside and now everything is fine
Old 11-29-12, 08:50 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sensor must be broken.
Old 11-29-12, 10:02 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

yeah sounds like door sensors are not working maybe

does your dome light (in the DOOR setting) stay lit when you close all doors and trunk?
Old 11-29-12, 10:03 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
when my door lock actuator went out, it wouldnt turn off. opened everything up, replaced the motor inside and now everything is fine
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Ordered a whole new actuator for the passenger side since the previous owner ghetto rigged an aftermarket one somehow. And just the motor for the driver side. Fun time coming up installing them soon..
Old 11-29-12, 10:05 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UberNoob
yeah sounds like door sensors are not working maybe

does your dome light (in the DOOR setting) stay lit when you close all doors and trunk?
Everything works fine beside the actuators. I even went as far as recording my trunk lamp to see if it goes out when I close the trunk lid.
Old 12-03-12, 11:30 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

Replaced both front actuators and still have the problem. Only recent change is alarm install. Can't think of how that would affect headlights though

Ok. This is weird. When leaving the light switch on the "ON" position, the lights will automatically shut off. When leaving the light switch on the "AUTO" position the lights will stay on even after exiting.

Sounds like either the installer clipped a wire on accident or a bad relay on the
AUTO side. Can someone point me in the direction of which stalk or relay? Thanks

Last edited by blacksedan; 12-03-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 08:06 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same repeated problem, this is frustrating, came out for work in the morning and my car was dead once again, came home and locked the doors put the switch in the off position, checked all doors and their locked, went inside, 5 minutes later my lights are blinding the neighbors house, double tap the lock button they turn off then right back on within 5 minutes, no one has found a fix? when this happened before my battery was junk so I replaced it 2 years ago, haven't really had the problem since, now with these below zero tempetures my car is acting goofy again, drivers door puddle light stays on, footwell light stays on, and the footwell light turns on and off with my seat heater switch!!! WTF?!!!! I don't know what to do but to buy a new battery again I think the below freezing temps killed it, it was -25 with wind last night again... And what makes this worse is I just got auto start installed today and I can't even use it cause I had to disconnect the battery for peace of mind at night, this sucks I don't think there is a fix it's like rolling the dice everyday now..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 01-07-14 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-07-14, 09:13 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
I have the same repeated problem, this is frustrating, came out for work in the morning and my car was dead once again, came home and locked the doors put the switch in the off position, checked all doors and their locked, went inside, 5 minutes later my lights are blinding the neighbors house, double tap the lock button they turn off then right back on within 5 minutes, no one has found a fix? when this happened before my battery was junk so I replaced it 2 years ago, haven't really had the problem since, now with these below zero tempetures my car is acting goofy again, drivers door puddle light stays on, footwell light stays on, and the footwell light turns on and off with my seat heater switch!!! WTF?!!!! I don't know what to do but to buy a new battery again I think the below freezing temps killed it, it was -25 with wind last night again... And what makes this worse is I just got auto start installed today and I can't even use it cause I had to disconnect the battery for peace of mind at night, this sucks I don't think there is a fix it's like rolling the dice everyday now..
Not that this really helps anyone with the issues addressed here, I can't give any insight on that; but just wanted to point out that wind chill doesn't affect vehicles or other inanimate objects. Actual air temps are all that matters. We've been dealing with the same crap here in MN, lows of -25 air temps a couple nights, it's hard on all the systems in a car. Hopefully that's your main problem is the low temps!
Old 01-07-14, 10:18 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Not that this really helps anyone with the issues addressed here, I can't give any insight on that; but just wanted to point out that wind chill doesn't affect vehicles or other inanimate objects. Actual air temps are all that matters. We've been dealing with the same crap here in MN, lows of -25 air temps a couple nights, it's hard on all the systems in a car. Hopefully that's your main problem is the low temps!
That's what I'm thinking, I never have problems when it's warmer out, like 32 and up, this cold wave is insane, I put my key in the door to unlock to get the hood open and my key instantly froze in the keyhole, it hasn't been this cold in Pa in decades, it is absolutely brutal on my car, I ENVY people with garages, my battery is about 2.5 years old, add in these atrocious temps and I believe my battery is about done for, plus my commute to work is only 5 miles parked for another 7-8 hours, then back home it is and parked again, not good, it really screws the electronics up on these cars with iffy batteries...

Quick Reply: Headlights not turning off after exiting vehicle