GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

valveas ticking hard after timing belt change HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 09:48 PM
chuydiaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valveas ticking hard after timing belt change HELP!

Hi i am new at this and i hope u guys can help me.
i have a gs300 2jz ge engine and i just change timing belt myself, unfortunatelly timing set off while trying to lossen crank pulley bolt because of lack of decent tools. i set the timing back abnd install timing belt and everything back, turn engine on and the valves start ticking hard and car wasn idling even. drove the car for a while now it seem it idles nice but the ticking ts still there. do you guys think i could have demage something while setiing the time back or its just simple coincidence. the car seem its running normal thogh. adjusting valves might solve the problem?? please help

thanks in advance!!
Old 06-11-12, 10:34 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep sounds like you did damage due to your inexperience. Its no coincidence that the valves started ticking badly after you completed the job. I can't help with this because I paid an professional to do this for me.
Old 06-11-12, 10:37 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, you're saying you took the belt off, adjusted each cam and the crank, then put the belt on? If so, start pricing out new valves.
Old 06-11-12, 11:22 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not normal at all.............
Old 06-12-12, 12:19 AM
afstud
Driver School Candidate

unfortunately i think you ruined the engine.... good luck with a replacment
Old 06-12-12, 10:01 AM
chuydiaz
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I got to drive the car.the car runs strong. Windows up u dont hear anything. And yes i had to adjust timing on the crank with the belt off because when i try to losen the crankshaft pulley , the timing belt jump 2 teeth. I had no other choice. As a matter of fact the more i drive the car the less it sounds. I guess i keep driving until gives up. Good excuse to do a 2jz gte swap. I put some tranny fluid in the engine while that happens
Old 06-12-12, 10:04 AM
chuydiaz
Driver School Candidate

Some guy on the street told me adjusting valves solve the problem is that true? Are they adjustable at all?????
Old 06-12-12, 01:15 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Bent valves. Pull the head, take it to a machine shop and reinstall.

I'd find someone else to do the work. You only get one chance to get the timing right on the VVT motors.
Old 06-12-12, 01:27 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuydiaz
I got to drive the car.the car runs strong. Windows up u dont hear anything. And yes i had to adjust timing on the crank with the belt off because when i try to losen the crankshaft pulley , the timing belt jump 2 teeth. I had no other choice. As a matter of fact the more i drive the car the less it sounds. I guess i keep driving until gives up. Good excuse to do a 2jz gte swap. I put some tranny fluid in the engine while that happens
You scare me, haha.
If you adjust the cams by themselves without a belt on, it'll leave valves down, and when you move the crank, BAM, it'll slam right into the open valves. Like CleanSC said, find someone knowledgeable to work on it next time. Unless you have deep pockets, it isn't a good idea to do it yourself lol
Old 06-13-12, 02:52 PM
chuydiaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Bent valves. Pull the head, take it to a machine shop and reinstall.

I'd find someone else to do the work. You only get one chance to get the timing right on the VVT motors.
how much does machine shop charges for that?? and why is the reason that theres only one chace to get timming right??
Old 06-13-12, 03:06 PM
chuydiaz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mtparker18
You scare me, haha.
If you adjust the cams by themselves without a belt on, it'll leave valves down, and when you move the crank, BAM, it'll slam right into the open valves. Like CleanSC said, find someone knowledgeable to work on it next time. Unless you have deep pockets, it isn't a good idea to do it yourself lol
i know it isnt a good idea to do it myself. but i like to learn. and who knows how to do it doesnt want to teach u. their jealous. even the mechanics just tell them it is for a lexus and they want to charge you double. so that the reason i decided to do it myself. and we have plenty of literature in this forum so i felt secure. plus more people and i can learn from my mistakes ADVICE: USE PROPER TOOLS!!.
right tool, right literature and good to go!!!!
Old 06-13-12, 03:56 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

no,
Better advice is to take a class or learn under proper supervision from someone who knows how to do it.

Most skilled trades are not independent study like pure education.
The industry still is in the older traditions of "apprenticeship" under the "master" mechanic, then you go out and do it yourself afterwards.

If you're learning by yourself, or even just trusting idiots, maybe you will pick up some skills, but in my opinion that is a fool's way compared to learning things properly.
Old 06-13-12, 06:34 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I learned everything by myself well not entirely some DIY on here helped me out get started. I read up on how to do a 5spd swap, granted all the info wasn't there. Most of the time I improvise and it worked so far.

But a timing belt I would never touch I rather have someone who has done it before even if I have to pay a few bills it gives me the comfort of it being done correctly.
Old 06-13-12, 07:16 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chuydiaz
how much does machine shop charges for that?? and why is the reason that theres only one chace to get timming right??
Shop charges vary widly depending on location and severity of damage. Anything from a few hundred to over a thousand.

You only get one chance to get the timing right because if you start that engine out of time, you bend valves. Non vvti motors are safe, as they are non-interference engines. Vvti motors are interference engines, so you have to be absolutely sure the timing is spot-on before starting it. Verification is easy, just turn the motor by hand two full times and make sure the timing marks line up each time. Always do this with any timing belt work! If they don't line up, remove the belt and try again. Do not start the engine unless absolutely sure!

Removing and replacing a head is a whole other can of worms, I recommend the help of someone with experience in this area.

Good luck and report back with any findings!

Last edited by CleanSC; 06-14-12 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-14-12, 06:51 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont flame the guy people... Props to you for trying it! Sorry it didnt work, but at least you learned something...

Quick Reply: valveas ticking hard after timing belt change HELP!