GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another HID thread, looking for quick answer

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 02:30 AM
Kyanite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another HID thread, looking for quick answer

Just to make sure I got all the information correct. From what I've read/searched, if our 2GS did not come with factory HID's, then it's RECOMMENDED to swap to HID housings and use D4R bulbs? And if we were to just swap in a 9006 kit with the stock housings, the light output will be scattered, and even potentially blinding?

I'm new to the forum, and even did my own projector retrofit on my last Acura, so the LS or G35 options are something I'll definitely consider in the future, but for now am just looking for something better than the stock halogens. If it's really that bad I'll just throw some silverstars in there or something.

Also, how is DDM Tuning for their HID kits? I've always ran kits from HIDExtra.

Need quick answers, looking to order by morning, thanks fellas.
Old 05-21-12, 05:43 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Drop in 9006 hid bulbs are actually a worse pattern than a halogen 9006 in these housings. Please do not do this, it looks like **** and you annoying everyone else on the road.. Cops are actually starting to pull people and give them improper lighting tickets in my area for having drop in hids. For once I'm 100% behind the police harassing people for this particular mod. The trend is getting real bad around here especially with the jacked up brodozer crowd.

If you've done a retro before then you've seen the difference of doing it PROPERLY, so I wouldn't think that you would even be considering this.

But yes either swap in the housings or swap in the bowls from an hid set. You can buy a scratched set or one with broken tabs on ebay cheap and take just the bowls out and fit them into your housings.

But honestly just rock some silverstar or piaa halogen bulbs for now as they are a decent improvement and then save up to do a M/FX/LS projector retro.
Old 05-21-12, 11:04 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Drop in 9006 hid bulbs are actually a worse pattern than a halogen 9006 in these housings. Please do not do this, it looks like **** and you annoying everyone else on the road.. Cops are actually starting to pull people and give them improper lighting tickets in my area for having drop in hids. For once I'm 100% behind the police harassing people for this particular mod. The trend is getting real bad around here especially with the jacked up brodozer crowd.

If you've done a retro before then you've seen the difference of doing it PROPERLY, so I wouldn't think that you would even be considering this.

But yes either swap in the housings or swap in the bowls from an hid set. You can buy a scratched set or one with broken tabs on ebay cheap and take just the bowls out and fit them into your housings.

But honestly just rock some silverstar or piaa halogen bulbs for now as they are a decent improvement and then save up to do a M/FX/LS projector retro.
since he answered everything already

m45 retrofit for looks (poor cutoff)

LS for vision and brightness
Old 05-21-12, 11:21 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Retrofit is the best, but if done incorrectly you can cause more damage than just slapping in hids into a halogen housing.

I have hids in my halogen (9006) -- I set my leveling manually so it doesnt shoot up into ufo territory.
Old 05-21-12, 08:16 PM
Kyanite
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got some other stuff I'm taking care of first, ordering the BC Racing Extreme Drop kit first, so I might just roll with some PIAA's or Silverstars in the meantime. Still need to get around to ordering a full LED kit as well.
Old 05-22-12, 10:55 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the HIDs and then aimed my reflector bowls all the way down.
I mean it isn't glaring to everyone but it still looks weird compared to OEM HID's
I just bought some OEM HID reflector bowls from a member and hopefully I can get it installed soon