GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

All 2GS guys looking to re-do their armrest? -- Don't buy these!

Old 05-17-12, 08:17 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All 2GS guys looking to re-do their armrest? -- Don't buy these!

I bought this armrest cover before I got my GS, I was buying all the normal maintenance parts etc. and figured since this was what some people bought I'd try it out.

Link: ebay link

Installed it at the beginning of this year, used staples and foam as the instructions suggested from the seller.

I've emailed the seller through ebay and filed a dispute through paypal but because the transaction is outside of the 45 day window -- no dice.

Emailed the seller at both their aol email and via ebay twice already.

It's going to undoubtedly keep splitting, but it sucks that they don't at least tell you this beforehand that this might happen.

I know its a sub $30 purchase, but its the principle of the matter -- stand by your product!

Last edited by justablkv8; 05-21-12 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-17-12, 09:16 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

You get what you pay for. Plain and simple.
Old 05-17-12, 09:27 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought from the exact seller and I couldn't be happier with the product. It took me about 45 minutes but it came out great.

Here are the only pictures I could find, but mine have been installed for 5 months - looks as good as the day I installed them

Old 05-17-12, 09:29 AM
smooth0033
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a bummer when these things happen but they do happen. (maybe you got an rough elbow and it cut thru the material... lol) For $30 I think that's a bargain. I can't tell what the finish looks like from that picture or how well it matched. It sucks it split, but how long did you have the cover? Is the car your daily and how much time have you spent in the cab since installing the cover, could it be that it is just normal wear and tear for a product that is not as good quality as OEM. It was only $30. Perhaps your expectations were set a bit high for this cover.

I recovered my armrest in CF vinyl and I know that it's not made to last forever and that most likely I will need to get replaced. I get my vinyl at wholesale @ $40+ a yard and even though you don't need that much it's still the minimum you must buy and then I had to wrap it myself. If the vinyl started splittin I in no way would say that 3M makes an inferior product. Just wear and tear.

Old 05-17-12, 08:01 PM
ls400love
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

OP sorry that happened but like others said 20$ isn't that much and I would spend it again just to make the interior look like new and this time be careful with it. Does anybody have a recommendation for a tan arm rest cover?
Old 05-17-12, 09:45 PM
Mofoe
Driver

did u get the vinyl like in the ad? I've seen a few people on here say the vinyl don't seem to stand up very well for long. I got the leather, which of course was a little more $40-50ish. seems to me to look like more of a furiture type leather. only had about a month so far but was better then the stock one that was almost worn through.
Old 05-18-12, 10:22 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

its only ~30 dollars, other buyers seem to have no problem with the product.
Old 05-18-12, 11:32 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Well the OP did say it wasn't the price but the principle at matter. But yeah it's still a good thing he didn't spend more than 50-100 bucks on it.
Old 05-18-12, 05:15 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

i don't even agree that a principle is broken.

The item was received without the tears, and OP used it for a few months.

Obviously there was some physical contact that caused the tears, perhaps some buttons or zippers on a sleeve or something. The tears didn't come out of nowhere just sitting there.

It's just the OP's expectations for durability didn't match what the product delivered. But nowhere in the ad does it mention super durable or anything of that nature.

My expectations for a product this cheap would be low durability.

So no principles broken in my opinion, just a level of entitlement that you want high quality and ultimate customer satisfaction even for the cheapest of products.

I do appreciate the warning and review of the product. Now others know this specific item is not a very durable product...

Last edited by raytseng; 05-18-12 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 05:42 PM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

I agree, you can't ask for much for $30, if it wasn't price but principle, you should have went to the dealer. lol

Last edited by garbage85; 05-18-12 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 06:58 PM
Redline26
Pole Position

^Agreed, u pay to play justablkb8
Old 05-20-12, 12:27 AM
tianh
Pole Position

I actually plan on buying one of these.. How hard is it to install?
Old 05-20-12, 12:07 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

For those considering, its stated in his description that he has OEM Lexus Leather available as well. I'd opt for that instead and pay just a little more. Vinyl just doesnt match with the real leather in our cars... just my opinion:

OEM Beige Lexus Leather

OEM Gray Lexus Leather
Old 05-21-12, 11:06 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
You get what you pay for. Plain and simple.
I paid just under $55 for it.

I didn't post the correct link -- I wasn't able to find the exact link to the posts but I did know it was that seller. It was the only black one they had listed f/s. Obv. not going to post a beige link to a black pic. But I digress.

The one that Mr Jokster linked in his post is the auction I purchased. I can link my paypal account with it if people need to see that.

Originally Posted by runyun
I bought from the exact seller and I couldn't be happier with the product. It took me about 45 minutes but it came out great.
A+

Originally Posted by smooth0033
It's a bummer when these things happen but they do happen. (maybe you got an rough elbow and it cut thru the material... lol) For $30 I think that's a bargain. I can't tell what the finish looks like from that picture or how well it matched. It sucks it split, but how long did you have the cover? Is the car your daily and how much time have you spent in the cab since installing the cover, could it be that it is just normal wear and tear for a product that is not as good quality as OEM. It was only $30. Perhaps your expectations were set a bit high for this cover.

I recovered my armrest in CF vinyl and I know that it's not made to last forever and that most likely I will need to get replaced. I get my vinyl at wholesale @ $40+ a yard and even though you don't need that much it's still the minimum you must buy and then I had to wrap it myself. If the vinyl started splittin I in no way would say that 3M makes an inferior product. Just wear and tear.
I do use lotion and I can guarantee you that my elbows don't have saws in them.

You have pics of the carbon close up?

Originally Posted by ls400love
OP sorry that happened but like others said 20$ isn't that much and I would spend it again just to make the interior look like new and this time be careful with it. Does anybody have a recommendation for a tan arm rest cover?
I linked the wrong auction, correct one has been relinked.

Originally Posted by Mofoe
did u get the vinyl like in the ad? I've seen a few people on here say the vinyl don't seem to stand up very well for long. I got the leather, which of course was a little more $40-50ish. seems to me to look like more of a furiture type leather. only had about a month so far but was better then the stock one that was almost worn through.
Nope I got the leather one. I linked the wrong ad.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
its only ~30 dollars, other buyers seem to have no problem with the product.
Its the principle. I could go buy a nexen tire and have it blow out and it would probably still be my fault for not going with a michelin ps2? lol

Originally Posted by raytseng
i don't even agree that a principle is broken.

The item was received without the tears, and OP used it for a few months.

Obviously there was some physical contact that caused the tears, perhaps some buttons or zippers on a sleeve or something. The tears didn't come out of nowhere just sitting there.

It's just the OP's expectations for durability didn't match what the product delivered. But nowhere in the ad does it mention super durable or anything of that nature.

My expectations for a product this cheap would be low durability.

So no principles broken in my opinion, just a level of entitlement that you want high quality and ultimate customer satisfaction even for the cheapest of products.

I do appreciate the warning and review of the product. Now others know this specific item is not a very durable product...
Here's is broken down for you. I paid sub $55 for a product that gets USED by my elbow. I'm not sure how a button, zipper or a razor would get near that. I expected the product to stand some duration of use.

I guess I expect too much in regards to buying something and having it work for me the way it should be intended.

My bad.

Originally Posted by garbage85
I agree, you can't ask for much for $30, if it wasn't price but principle, you should have went to the dealer. lol
If I went to the dealer I would expect the same quality.

L O L.

Originally Posted by Redline26
^Agreed, u pay to play justablkb8
I did pay, and I got played.