GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Good Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 06:00 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Battery

Does anyone have any advice on what battery I should get to replace my stock one. What's a good quality battery?
Old 11-06-02, 06:04 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're certain to get a broad range of replies, from Optima (my choice for multiple reasons) at $100+, to a Sears DieHard for $35+.

It really depends on your demands. If you drive everyday, and don't have much by way of an upgraded stereo or lighting, then an avg battery from WalMart, Sears, or NTB will probably suit you just fine.

If you run upgraded components, or don't drive very often, or anticipate severe temps where you live, perhgaps look for a heavier duty battery.

I'm no battery guru or anything, just laying out some basic ideas for ya.
Old 11-06-02, 06:13 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you like about the optima's? I guess i'm looking for something towards the heavy duty end since i dont drive my car that often now a days.
Old 11-06-02, 10:09 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

After 4 years, the stock battery died.

Based on predominantly good reviews here, I opted for the "red" ultima.

Based on a fellow CL member advice, I picked up the snap on riser [does not come with ulitma, but some other batteries are sold with a detachable base to add roughly 1".]

The base of the riser is solid, but the skirt is flimsy. Just cut the corners of the skirt and fold the sides towards the middle. Place the inverted riser (folded skirt at the bottom) and put the optima on top of it. This will give you enough height and the orignal side cover and battery hold-downs will fit.

The + terminal had to be stretched to fit.

Salim
Old 11-07-02, 08:15 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by GSPOWER
what do you like about the optima's? I guess i'm looking for something towards the heavy duty end since i dont drive my car that often now a days.
When my OEM battery was getting low, I decided, might as well upgrade, also in consideration was that I had just installed my stereo upgrades. Nothing crazy mind you, but if you are going to replace, might as well step up.

http://www.digitalsimple.com/Stereo%20Page.htm

I went with the Optima Yellow Top from the reviews and data gathered here, and also because I don't drive my GS every day, so periods of inactivity don't worry me as much with the YT being a deep cycle.

I also used a booster battery tray since the Optimas are not as tall as most batteries. I picked it up for Free at the Advance.

http://www.digitalsimple.com/Paintin...rottleBody.htm

Advance A/P stores are now selling the Optimas; DaveGS4 and I saw a display last weekend in one of their stores here in NC.

HTH
Old 11-07-02, 01:31 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Thanks Dex. I am not sure ... was it a post ealier than yours, or your pictures that lead me to hunt for the tray. Using wood or something else that reacts with the acid, would have been a temp. solution at the best.

In any case CL and mebers are great.

Salim
Old 11-07-02, 02:15 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally posted by Dex

Advance A/P stores are now selling the Optimas; DaveGS4 and I saw a display last weekend in one of their stores here in NC.
For other folks that might consider this method to lift your Optima battery... If you can get one of the plastic shipping trays that actually comes ON the Optima (seemed like they had them sitting on them in the display), that might work best from a fittment perspective. However, if you get a tray from a larger battery variety - the Optima has a smaller footprint than most - try flipping the tray upside down if it doesn't seem to fit in the stock GS battery tray. It should give you just enough boost for the battery connector to fit and for the stock battery fastener to be used as well to keep the battery in place.

Salim,

Might have been this post where Jmai was looking for a way to boost his Optima up. I think might have been the first to try this because I didn't like the wood booster idea either. Glad it worked out for you too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=60593