GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Much Dynamat do i Need For Trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 07:34 PM
Rukus1025
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Dynamat do i Need For Trunk?

Hey guys im planning on Dynamating my 2nd GS300 just the Trunk and the Trunk Lid, how much would i do i need? an how much would that run me? let me kno plz thanks!
Old 05-15-12, 08:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

it depends on how detailed of a job u wanna do, i went way overkill on mine

look over these threads....i think i used over a box in the trunk/hatch by itself

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...xx-owners.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-its-done.html
Old 05-15-12, 12:39 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

You can get the same materials on eBay if you search for sound deadener/dampner for less and in various thickness to accommodate your needs. Does the same job for l less basically
Old 05-15-12, 06:56 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^^+1 ... They have FAT MAT that's good as well and cheap. Check out eBay like Measured said.
Old 05-17-12, 08:15 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should read up on this at www.sounddeadenershowdown.com .. highly recommended from the DIYMA forums as a good source of information.

Don is a great guy to deal with but he is terrible with email. Best chance you have is to email him in the morning time. Sometimes I have to email him a second time, but he is a stand up guy for sure, and his products are excellent. I actually have an order of butyl rope and carpet tape that is leaving today for wiring up my speakers.
Old 05-17-12, 04:12 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need is a 25 square foot roll of Audio Technix 60 mil deadener and you're set. Don't cheap out (fatmat) unless you want to find out the hard way. 25 sq. ft. was enough to do my whole car however, I opted not to cover every inch of the doors because all I need was mass in some areas. I have a thread in the ICE section here.

Audio Technix is great stuff at a great price.
Old 05-19-12, 09:36 AM
Rukus1025
Driver School Candidate

Sweeeeet thanks guys for the Informations!
Old 05-19-12, 11:20 AM
usa5655
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
it depends on how detailed of a job u wanna do, i went way overkill on mine

look over these threads....i think i used over a box in the trunk/hatch by itself

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...xx-owners.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-its-done.html
wow! u did some work there bro!
Old 05-19-12, 12:54 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The more the better. I also filled in all gaps with polyfill

Old 05-19-12, 03:36 PM
Protagnist
Rookie

I've wondered if the cost of sound deadener justifies the sound improvement.
Old 05-19-12, 04:41 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Protagnist
I think that depends on you.. does spending $200 on a replacement pair of decent speakers seem like a no brainer? If so, is spending another say $50-100 on deadening the doors really that much of a stretch?

I'm no audiophile, but I can really notice a difference in the sound quality after deadening is done. Music sounds 'fuller', and more of it stays 'inside' rather than escapes through the door panels etc. and/or resonates the panels and interferes with the music. A side benefit is some road noise gets blocked out too. If you wanted to go that far, you need a barrier, not just deadener.

Of course, if the stock stereo sounds just fine, then deadening most likely won't be a noticeable improvement for you.
Old 05-19-12, 06:20 PM
Protagnist
Rookie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
I think that depends on you.. does spending $200 on a replacement pair of decent speakers seem like a no brainer? If so, is spending another say $50-100 on deadening the doors really that much of a stretch?

I'm no audiophile, but I can really notice a difference in the sound quality after deadening is done. Music sounds 'fuller', and more of it stays 'inside' rather than escapes through the door panels etc. and/or resonates the panels and interferes with the music. A side benefit is some road noise gets blocked out too. If you wanted to go that far, you need a barrier, not just deadener.

Of course, if the stock stereo sounds just fine, then deadening most likely won't be a noticeable improvement for you.
Good to know, thanks for the response. I've put in a moderate aftermarket system and have wondered if sound dampening would make a noticeable difference.
Old 05-20-12, 12:29 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Protagnist
When you add deadener to a door, its like adding mass, making it heavier. High end high powered aftermarket speakers can cause the sheet medal around your speakers to flex.
Old 05-20-12, 12:01 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Be careful on the cheaper stuff. Look at the thickness. You might find something that is half the price for the same amount of another brand, but if you look at the thickness, its half the thickest of its counter part. Most of the cheap FAT MAT is extremely thin and you end up having to tripple stack it to get the same thickness as the leading brand and end up spending more.
Old 05-20-12, 01:19 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Can anyone comment on how much it would cost to do the trunk and floor and doors if you pay someone to do it?

Just curious because I am a n00b when it comes to pretty much anything cars.....

Quick Reply: How Much Dynamat do i Need For Trunk?