Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


No Key 2001 GS300

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-12, 09:06 AM   #1
Gjohnson
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 10
Default No Key 2001 GS300

Hey guys, I'm currently considering picking up a cheap 2001 GS300 from an insurance auction but there are no keys for the vehicle. What would I need to do to have a replacement key made? Is this something that can only be done at a Lexus dealership or can a mechanicaly inclined person perform this at home?

Thanks for any input, this will help me decided weather to pull the trigger on this deal or not. I won't know if the car runs and drives or even how many miles it has, until I can get a key made. If its really pricey to have the key made, it might not be worth the risk of having a dead engine. (unless I do another LS1 swap)
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Gjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 09:38 AM   #2
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (27)
 
ntran18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: sOCal
Posts: 1,079
Send a message via AIM to ntran18
Default

You can get a key cut using the VIN, but it will need to be programmed to the car. You should get a quote to cut & add the key to see if it's within what you are willing to spend.
ntran18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 09:59 AM   #3
SureShot
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson View Post
Hey guys, I'm currently considering picking up a cheap 2001 GS300 from an insurance auction but there are no keys for the vehicle. What would I need to do to have a replacement key made? Is this something that can only be done at a Lexus dealership or can a mechanicaly inclined person perform this at home?

Thanks for any input, this will help me decided weather to pull the trigger on this deal or not. I won't know if the car runs and drives or even how many miles it has, until I can get a key made. If its really pricey to have the key made, it might not be worth the risk of having a dead engine. (unless I do another LS1 swap)
call your local dealer and describe the situation to them and get a quote.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 10:22 AM   #4
Gjohnson
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 10
Default

Crap, that sucks. I guess I would need to have the car towed to the dealership to get that done. Man it would be so much easier if I could just find a key. Hmm, I guess I will try to call the dealership down the street to see how much that would run.
Gjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 10:24 AM   #5
SureShot
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjohnson View Post
Crap, that sucks. I guess I would need to have the car towed to the dealership to get that done. Man it would be so much easier if I could just find a key. Hmm, I guess I will try to call the dealership down the street to see how much that would run.
after you call, please post what they say. i always thought that you had to have 1 master key to program a new key.

also, if you haven't done so, register with sewellparts.com and be sure to click that you are a CL member.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2003/2809.html
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 10:35 AM   #6
Gjohnson
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 10
Default

Ok, well I have an update. I just spoke with a parts guy at my local dealership and he explained the process of needing the new ECU and having a Lexus make a new key. He qouted me a price between $600 and $950. Then he also explained that the ECU was not reflashable by Lexus, but that I could have a Locksmith comeout and rekey the vehicle for me for around $250 to $300. He said that with a Locksmith license you can now buy a device that will allow the ECU to be reflashed and keyed by that locksmith. After the key has been made by the locksmith you can bring the new key to the dealership and they can create a new master key for you. He gave me the phone number to a locksmith that he usually refers clients too, so I'll give him a call and inquire.
Gjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:20 AM   #7
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (27)
 
ntran18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: sOCal
Posts: 1,079
Send a message via AIM to ntran18
Default

I guess your dealer didn't invest in the key cutting machine. Last time I needed a key, I just handed them my VIN. They punched in the machine and 5 minutes later I have a working key.
ntran18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:35 AM   #8
SureShot
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntran18 View Post
I guess your dealer didn't invest in the key cutting machine. Last time I needed a key, I just handed them my VIN. They punched in the machine and 5 minutes later I have a working key.
i think thats because you still had a master key. with no key, its a more involved process.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:35 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2001, 300, based, cut, glove, gs, gs300, key, lexus, location, made, make, master, number, numer, opening, replacement, vin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info